Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2016, 05:38 AM

1,445 posts, read 2,321,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicene101 View Post
You act as if Charlotte is the size of Atlanta lol. Like I said it's barely bigger. With the growth the Triangle is recceiving, there's nothing to hate.
Me stating the fact Charlotte is larger than Raleigh and the Triangle by all methods of population does not correlate with thinking Charlotte is the size of Atlanta, which it will be before Raleigh is the size of Charlotte.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:02 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,348,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
Me stating the fact Charlotte is larger than Raleigh and the Triangle by all methods of population does not correlate with thinking Charlotte is the size of Atlanta, which it will be before Raleigh is the size of Charlotte.
Charlotte may not be the size of Atlanta, but it certainly has a lot in common with Atlanta...

*Six Flags--Carowinds.
*Heavy Rail--Light Rail.
*Downtown Streetcar Service.
*NBA/NFL (no NHL)
*Top 10 busiest airports in the Nation.
*1988 DNC--2012 DNC
*Largest Metro GDP in the southeast vs 3rd largest in the southeast.
*Both contain over half of their state's Fortune 1,000 companies.
*I-285--I-485 (both completed without tolls)
*Freaknik-CIAA.
*NASCAR/Dragway.
*Both metros extend into two states.
*IKEA markets.
*Ritz Carlton markets.
*Both are the center of 500 sq/mile counties with 1 million residents

The bottomline is that Charlotte is a smaller version of Atlanta in many ways. Raleigh is not a smaller version of neither Charlotte nor Atlanta. Raleigh is a bigger version of Greensboro to be honest and there is nothing wrong with that...

And since we're on the topic of Atl and Charlotte; I noticed something while typing this post. Atlanta's northline for MARTA runs along GA 400's median to the north of the city. Charlotte's northern light rail line runs along NC 49's median to the north of the city. Is this just a coincidence, or is Charlotte taking a page out of Atlanta's development book yet again?

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 04-12-2016 at 07:22 AM..

Old 04-12-2016, 10:57 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
*Freaknik-CIAA.
This one is a stretch LOL.

Quote:
*Both metros extend into two states.
Metro Atlanta used to include one sole rural county in AL, but not anymore. All of metro Atlanta is within Georgia.

Old 04-12-2016, 04:03 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Raleigh is not a smaller version of neither Charlotte nor Atlanta. Raleigh is a bigger version of Greensboro to be honest and there is nothing wrong with that...
Most of the rest of your list I could see where you were going, but I don't really see Raleigh as a bigger version of Greensboro.

Raleigh is more similar to Charlotte than any other city in the state. I could perhaps see some similarities to Richmond, maybe? I really think Charlotte is the city in the US that it's most similar to and Raleigh is the city that Charlotte is most similar to, too.

Old 04-12-2016, 04:11 PM

398 posts, read 498,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Most of the rest of your list I could see where you were going, but I don't really see Raleigh as a bigger version of Greensboro.

Raleigh is more similar to Charlotte than any other city in the state. I could perhaps see some similarities to Richmond, maybe? I really think Charlotte is the city in the US that it's most similar to and Raleigh is the city that Charlotte is most similar to, too.
I totally see Raleigh as bigger G'boro. I really hadn't thought about it until I read this thread, but that is a perfect comparison. Charlotte and Raleigh are not at all comparable.

And Raleigh's urban core is nothing like Richmond's.

Old 04-12-2016, 04:11 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times
I think using ikea as a selling point of a city is stretching it.

Old 04-12-2016, 04:14 PM

398 posts, read 498,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
I think using ikea as a selling point of a city is stretching it.
Its a point of comparison, not a selling point.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Dawg View Post
Its a point of comparison, not a selling point.

But it seems completely useless as a comparison. I mean, I could see if it were say a mall with a significant amount of high end brands.... But to compare cities based on if they have IKEA just seems.... Irrelevant to me. It's a nice store, but still....

Old 04-12-2016, 07:58 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
So much hate for Raleigh in this thread. It's as much of a big city as Charlotte is.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
So much hate for Raleigh in this thread. It's as much of a big city as Charlotte is.

I think what people really mean when they say Charlotte is bigger is specifically the center city areas. Charlotte is a noticeable step above and as years go on the gap grows even further. But that's a few sq. miles. Outside of it, they're the same.

Saying Raleigh is not a peer of Charlotte is like saying Nashville isn't a peer of Charlotte. Raleigh is bigger than Nashville. I can't see anyone saying Nashville isn't our peer. I think Austin, Orlando, Tampa, Charlotte, New Orleans, Raleigh are regional peers. Houston, Dallas, Miami & Atlanta being each other's regional peers..

If you could put the best of Charlotte and combine it with the best of Raleigh, I think it would mirror Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina