Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 08:30 AM

678 posts, read 800,525 times

Advertisements

Forgive me if this has already been discussed , but how much do you think that the recent law passed in Raleigh for the entire state to follow was due to Raleigh vs Charlotte rivalry? Is Raleigh jealous of Charlotte? Charlotte certainly seems to have more to lose than Raleigh when you weigh in the reaction of the professional sports leagues (NBA, nfl, reacting harshly, whereas nhl honesty prob doesn't care enough to do much plus not much nhl stuff happening anyway in Raleigh).

It's just sad that the city that tried to stand up for people and be open minded will likely be the one hurt the most.

Old 04-07-2016, 08:45 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,200,140 times
The whole state hates Charlotte.

We had the audacity to be a wealthy city even though we aren't the capital!

Old 04-07-2016, 09:10 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,980,242 times
yes i wake up every morning thinking grr how can i stick it Charlotte and I walk to my trinity altar of Mcrory phil berger and that other guy and sacrifice a BBQ sandwich

it's more like charlotte is full of transplants who think taller buildings = best and for some reason act like ANYONE outside Charlotte cares

This whole concept is triply dumb when you remember our governor was Charlotte mayor but MAYBE he was a Raleigh mole put in place to bring Charlotte down hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Old 04-07-2016, 09:16 AM

398 posts, read 498,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouje2 View Post
Forgive me if this has already been discussed , but how much do you think that the recent law passed in Raleigh for the entire state to follow was due to Raleigh vs Charlotte rivalry? Is Raleigh jealous of Charlotte? Charlotte certainly seems to have more to lose than Raleigh when you weigh in the reaction of the professional sports leagues (NBA, nfl, reacting harshly, whereas nhl honesty prob doesn't care enough to do much plus not much nhl stuff happening anyway in Raleigh).
Absolutely none.

This has nothing to do with Raleigh v. Charlotte. It is entirely about socially conservative republicans in the general assembly attempting to force their version of "christian" sharia law on the citizens of this state.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:18 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,535,268 times
The members of the legislature do their business (such as it is) in Raleigh, but only a handful are from Raleigh or Wake County. In fact, if you look at some of the news articles following the HB2 vote, Republican legislators from Mecklenburg County were highly critical of the Charlotte City Council.

This has nothing to do with some misperceived rivalry between Raleigh and Charlotte.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:24 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,706,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
yes i wake up every morning thinking grr how can i stick it Charlotte and I walk to my trinity altar of Mcrory phil berger and that other guy and sacrifice a BBQ sandwich

it's more like charlotte is full of transplants who think taller buildings = best and for some reason act like ANYONE outside Charlotte cares

This whole concept is triply dumb when you remember our governor was Charlotte mayor but MAYBE he was a Raleigh mole put in place to bring Charlotte down hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Eh. . .McCrory is the Jim Florio of NC. Like Florio, he won't be able to be elected dog catcher when he gets voted out.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:24 AM

464 posts, read 523,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
The whole state hates Charlotte.

We had the audacity to be a wealthy city even though we aren't the capital!
Why would Raleigh hate Charlotte?

Old 04-07-2016, 09:41 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,980,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicene101 View Post
Why would Raleigh hate Charlotte?
we don't Charlotte citizens just feels like it's rightfully due the most important and special place in the state

they can't seem to believe it's not the capital

Old 04-07-2016, 10:06 AM

530 posts, read 638,292 times
This thread is absurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
The members of the legislature do their business (such as it is) in Raleigh, but only a handful are from Raleigh or Wake County. In fact, if you look at some of the news articles following the HB2 vote, Republican legislators from Mecklenburg County were highly critical of the Charlotte City Council.

This has nothing to do with some misperceived rivalry between Raleigh and Charlotte.

Exactly. The OP seems to think that because the assembly meets in Raleigh, it is controlled by representatives from Raleigh. Blame the GOP-controlled assembly, which is made of a lot of right wing representatives from more conservative regions of North Carolina.

And Raleigh (and Durham and the rest of the Triangle) is doing very well. They are growing like crazy, their economies are booming. I don't know why you think anyone would even begrudge Charlotte.

Old 04-07-2016, 10:08 AM

37,893 posts, read 41,998,813 times
Raleigh and Charlotte are basically on the same page when it comes this issue; it has nothing to do with a city vs city rivalry and let's not forget that McCrory is a Charlottean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina