Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 07:36 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times

Advertisements

I found out the hard way. If you get a ticket in North Carolina, get a lawyer. My lawyer cost less than $500 for my second ticket. I paid a small fine for the first ticket and more than $3000 extra for car insurance. Do the math.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 07:52 AM

2 posts, read 8,901 times
how often can you receive a prayer for judgement

Old 05-30-2013, 06:13 PM

1 posts, read 3,636 times
So, I had my first speeding ticket going 80 on a 65. A friend of mine told me to go to court and use something called a Prayer of Judgment. The ticket cost $268 and she told me it was easier if I hired an attorney. What should I do?

Old 05-30-2013, 09:10 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,764,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronicadotpot View Post
So, I had my first speeding ticket going 80 on a 65. A friend of mine told me to go to court and use something called a Prayer of Judgment. The ticket cost $268 and she told me it was easier if I hired an attorney. What should I do?
Is your friend a lawyer? Is he going to pay your insurance increase? Is he going to give you rides if he's wrong?

Did he even tell you what your punishment could be if it doesn't work or is this something he just "heard" ?

You need to see a lawyer. Where you are screwed is the speed limit was 65 and not 70. That means your license can be suspended and you'd get 4 insurance points which = 80% increase in rates and that's only if you don't have any other points.

Only a judge can grant a PJC. Where you can get screwed with that is if he agrees to let you off with a lesser charge and still takes your PJCsince you can only use it every three years. So you need a strategy which probably means:

1) Trying to get the DA to lesson the speed to 74 which gets you out of the 4 point range (same as a hit and run or passing a stopped school bus, all bad).

2) Find out of the DA will object to your PJC if it's an available and logical tool.

3) If the judge finds you guilty to a lessor degree be able to withdraw your plea to preserve its use.

I assume you're asking because it isn't out of bounds for you to come up with a couple hundred dollars to at least talk to a lawyer. That's what you should do. Even if you had the moxy to approach the DA after getting wrote up for 80. Lots of cops will write for lower so I wonder if you were going even faster and he was giving you a break at that.

You've got a lot to lose if your wannabe friend lawyer is wrong.

That said, Mecklenburg county has a program where you can talk to an assistant DA ahead of a court date in an organized manner to plead your case. Basically they will negotiate with you or at least let you know if you're totally screwed. If the country you got a ticket in has such a program it wouldn't hurt to talk to them ahead of time.

Old 10-19-2013, 01:17 PM

1 posts, read 3,214 times
Soooo im 17 & ive never had a ticket before until 3 days ago. I got a 70 in a 55. I told the cop my odemeter only said 60 & he didnt believe me. I have a note sayin that my odemeter was off by 10 miles. But ive never been to court before so what do I say. I know to take the note. I cant afford a lawyer, should I ask for a prayer for judgement?

Old 03-22-2014, 06:28 AM

1 posts, read 2,724 times
Default NC does have the driving school

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
In AZ you are allowed to go to defensive driving school once every five years on these kinds of tickets. Completion of the class (which costs slightly more than the ticket) removes the points entirely. Nearly everyone I know here in AZ has done a day at DD school at least once. (in fact, I thought it was a good class and DID remind me to slow down.)

I guess NC has nothing like that?
I have never been to the driving school but know several people who have. I think you have to go to Raleigh and it's ordered by the judge.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:44 PM

2 posts, read 3,607 times
what all can a prayer for judgment help with on other than traffic tickets please help????

Old 10-07-2015, 10:47 PM

2 posts, read 3,607 times
does a prayer for judgement only help in traffic tickets??

Old 10-08-2015, 04:52 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,382,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokahontas View Post
what all can a prayer for judgment help with on other than traffic tickets please help????
Only traffic violations.

Old 07-05-2017, 06:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,265 times
It all depends upon the judge. I had a speeding in a school zone and the judge allowed me to take 8 hours of community service instead of paying the $900 fine, and it was taken off my record after three years.

I believe a NC driver can take PJC twice in a five-year period for DMV purposes (i.e. Loss of license) and once every three years for insurance purposes. In both cases, it requires you to keep a spotless driving record for the probationary period or you can face both charges if you break the rules.

It's completely up to the court's discretion as to whether or not they choose to offer you this plea.

I believe it can also be used in additional charges from the state of the person has already been found guilty federally for the same case, but I'm not sure on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina