Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 10:48 AM

187 posts, read 803,689 times

Advertisements

Help! Hubby got speeding ticket in Raleigh last night & was more than 15mph over speed limit...(71 in a 55) He received similar ticket within the past year but was able to pay fine & get reduced to only 9mph over speed limit... What is the "Prayer for Judgement" plea & will he be able to keep his driver's license?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 03:49 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,353,973 times
A Prayer for Judgement Continued is to give you an opportunity to correct the legality resulting in the ticket being issued (pay fine) and return to court at a later date to provide proof the issue is resolved.

Last edited by etacarinae; 11-09-2009 at 03:50 AM.. Reason: spatial errors

Old 11-09-2009, 09:42 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,161,253 times
^ Not really. A PJC is a guilty plea that is technically not entered on your criminal or driving record. It does show up on your record, but the advantage is that it may not result in driving points or higher insurance premiums. If you have a subsequent violation, though, the original guilty plea can be entered and you'd have to deal with the effects of that. So essentially it means "keep your nose clean and we'll ignore it this time".

The above is a generalization, as there are a number of factors that determine if you're eligible, and whether your insurance rates are affected. So for your specific case you should contact the DA's office, or a good lawyer, to see if it might be an option.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:19 AM

831 posts, read 1,965,613 times
"keep your nose clean and we'll ignore it this time" -- <snort!> That cracked me up.

It means pay us and we'll ignore it this time. It's a 'no harm no foul' and I like to call it legal extortion.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:55 AM

2 posts, read 111,130 times
First, if I were you, I would contact the insurance company. They can tell you right away if it cost you any points. Most likely it will NOT. Second, keep in mind the previous point made by arbyunc, that if another violation occurs, this can be brought up again. If there are too many tickets, or if he has multiple violations of the same type, the judge can look back on this and say that he is habitual, and take his license. After three years, this matter can no longer be taken into consideration. Prayer for Judgement only has viability in a court room for three years, and once this time has passed you can just ignore it as though it never happened.
Keep in mind, ANY TIME you get a ticket the best solution, as much as I hate to say it, is to get a lawyer. The reason I say this is because simply paying the fine is an admission of guilt and you instantly get the points against you. However, attorneys that specialize in this sort of thing usually charge between $100-$300 depending on the violation, and can get you a HUGE reduction in the amount of the fine, and often keep you from getting points against you or losing your license.
I myself had a BS ticket for reckless driving (I was going 20mph cutting through an empty parking lot at night, and the police officer wanted to be a jerk. He said 20 was too fast and very dangerous). Anyway, I had to pay $250 to a lawyer, but in the end it was dropped to 0 points and a 'court fee' of $90. Without the attorney, it would have been $600 and the possibility of losing my license, even though it was the first ticket I have EVER recieved (at a minimum it would have been 3 points). All because an officer with a power trip wanted to be a douche.
Anyway, hope this helps; and remember, it doesn't matter which state the ticket is in, just paying the fine is admitting guilt and can cause you to lose your license!! Always fight it.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:31 PM

1 posts, read 106,191 times
okay so im 16 and i got in a wreck when i first got my lisence, i crossed the center line and got a ticket for left to center, but it got dismissed. and last friday i got a speeding ticket, i got 81 in a 55 do you think i will get my lisence taken. i dont get my after 9s til january 6th. and one of my buddys told me to fo prayed of judjemant mama told me we were goin to get a lawer and everything but i just really dont know what to do. somebody help me out here cause i really REALLY dont want to loose my lisence, thanks.

Old 11-29-2010, 05:56 AM

133 posts, read 412,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianeh View Post
Help! Hubby got speeding ticket in Raleigh last night & was more than 15mph over speed limit...(71 in a 55) He received similar ticket within the past year but was able to pay fine & get reduced to only 9mph over speed limit... What is the "Prayer for Judgement" plea & will he be able to keep his driver's license?
Prayer For Judgement info.

What is the law for a Prayer for Judgement? I believe it?

Old 11-29-2010, 06:07 AM

2 posts, read 111,325 times
I hate to get tickets.
http://redditvotebot.comze.com/pics/...V/facebook.jpg
http://redditvotebot.comze.com/pics/...P/facebook.jpg

Old 11-29-2010, 07:11 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,708,858 times
Prayer for Judgement is 3 years probation. Get another ticket in that period and you're fighting two tickets with no chance to get them changed to something less damaging.

I say always fight a ticket with a lawyer, never get a Prayer unless you have too.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:44 AM

983 posts, read 3,989,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d'spony View Post
okay so im 16 and i got in a wreck when i first got my lisence, i crossed the center line and got a ticket for left to center, but it got dismissed. and last friday i got a speeding ticket, i got 81 in a 55 do you think i will get my lisence taken. i dont get my after 9s til january 6th. and one of my buddys told me to fo prayed of judjemant mama told me we were goin to get a lawer and everything but i just really dont know what to do. somebody help me out here cause i really REALLY dont want to loose my lisence, thanks.
16, 2nd ticket, and 81 in a 55?? They need to take your license. You're going to wind up killing yourself or someone else! 81 in a 55 is considered "careless & wreckless." And considering you're still on the tiered license, I think you'll be taking the bus to school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina