Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 09:08 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,728,403 times

Advertisements

Although I didn't receive any severance (I filed immediately), I would be on the side of the argument that would tend to wait to file until the severance runs out. I view severance as a continuation of your job.

I don't expect Govco to be smart enough to send benefits at the correct time if you do file early...

Again, I don't know the law or what NCESC advises, but this would be my personal opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 09:09 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
From the state website (see link below):

I received separation pay (or severance pay, wages in lieu of notice, vacation pay, etc.). When should I file a claim?

You are not eligible for unemployment insurance benefits for any full week covered by separation pay, vacation pay, etc. (nor may such a week count as your “waiting period week”). Generally, you should file your claim the first week after the period covered by the payment (if the last week of the payment is not a full week’s pay, you may file that same week, although you may still be ineligible due to excessive earnings).

https://www.ncesc.com/individual/web...applyBegin.asp

Anifani explanation:

Everyone has a one week waiting period. So that is just something you have to endure.

Then, if you received severance that covers - let's say - 12 weeks - You would not be eligible to receive benefits til after the 12 weeks (plus the one week "waiting period.")

If you received pay for vacation days not taken but earned, then that is considered regular salary and counts just like severance pay.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:15 AM

228 posts, read 910,862 times
ctri-i sent you a PM

Old 01-14-2009, 09:20 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
You can go in and apply at any time, but you will be told you need to wait til your severance pay coverage has run out b/f you can actually qualify for benefits. In other words, the commission considers you still a wage earner for the weeks covered by any severance pay you received, wh/ includes vacation pay.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:05 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,039,953 times
HOWEVER, if you are enrolled in an accredited school or university, you can receive benefits right away

"Note: Individuals receiving severance pay are considered to be unemployed during any week that they are registered at or attending an institution of higher learning, a secondary school or an approved Commission training program."

Old 01-14-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmm051 View Post
Chicago-how long did your son end up waiting?

I am on week 8 :-(

Spoke to unemployment last week. My employer never sent back the form so supposedly I should be approved. I was told it was running 5-6 but now is running 8-9. :-(
Sorry. It was only a week. He has not actually received the benefit yet, but, was informed that he was approved.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:27 AM

Hey, everyone...

After what appeared to be a promising start (the approval of my son's unemployment claim), he still has not received any benefits yet. Any ideas? How long did it take y'all to actually receive the money?

Old 02-08-2009, 11:39 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,728,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Hey, everyone...

After what appeared to be a promising start (the approval of my son's unemployment claim), he still has not received any benefits yet. Any ideas? How long did it take y'all to actually receive the money?
About a week or two after that....(that was back in October)

I've heard some horror stories that the state is so backed up w/so many people filing that its put a huge delay on sending out funds.....

Old 02-08-2009, 12:32 PM

102 posts, read 313,246 times
figured i would post here. I got laid off and should be getting my unemployment starting this coming week. I was in the mortgage business and the only jobs I can locate are "temp jobs" I can for instance go to a company and underwrite loans, but it is 3-6 months assignment. My question is once the assignment is over can I re open the claim? If the job is out of state(this is in philadelphia, pa) do I have to collect benefits against the agency? I am unsure how this works considering its a temp agency.

Any insight would be great.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:43 PM

797 posts, read 3,296,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy23 View Post
figured i would post here. I got laid off and should be getting my unemployment starting this coming week. I was in the mortgage business and the only jobs I can locate are "temp jobs" I can for instance go to a company and underwrite loans, but it is 3-6 months assignment. My question is once the assignment is over can I re open the claim? If the job is out of state(this is in philadelphia, pa) do I have to collect benefits against the agency? I am unsure how this works considering its a temp agency.

Any insight would be great.
Yes, your claim would be in pending status while your on your temp contract and it would start right back up when you stopped working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina