Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 10:17 PM

332 posts, read 1,431,750 times

Advertisements

I think it's pretty much every industry. On the news in Wilm, I'd see companies with layoffs ranging from boat building corporations to Corning. I job search in the healthcare/education fields and I've seen drops in EVERY type of position except nursing/physicians.

A lot of it, too, is that NC had MAJOR issues before this meltdown. Our mental healthcare system has been in crisis for a few years and beginning in 2007... there were funding issues there and people being let go, laid off, and companies going under... Believe it or not, the mental heath field was a HUGE employment opportunity because within it, there were well paying (greater than $10/hr) positions for people ranging in credentials from post-high school to post-doctoral. When that bubble blew up... and things were privatized... 1000s of new jobs were created... as that bubble has burst... 100s of jobs have been lost.

That... combined with the fact that NC already had many areas with mill/factory closings over the last few years... probably pushed the number higher...

Also, consider that it's possible a lot of these people were already unemployed but didn't consider themselves unemployed until recently. In many mountain communities, it's cultural to go from job to job to job since the mills/factories have shut down. That lifestyle is not unusual... what has been unusual is that the next job never came... and the media kept reporting how the sky was falling... and people suddenly felt unemployed instead of in a normal place. Some people go file for benefits the DAY they are out of work... but some people dont' file for months and months afterward... because they keep assuming they'll find work the next day...

As for most/least... that's a huge sociocultural question that can't be summed up in a message board post. You'd need to be more specific about which ways...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 04:07 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,108,193 times
IT departments, project managers, managers, and administrative assistant jobs have been hit hard, and that's in nearly every industry.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:39 PM

175 posts, read 413,152 times
Default Job Reporting Requirement

My nephew has been collecting unemployment since he lost his job back late in 2008. He got a notice this week that he has to report to the local ESC office and produce documentation of his job searches.

How strict are they on this? He has been sending anywhere from 5-10 emails, or online resumes for every week and has the documentation of such. However, I was under the impression you had to actually visit a couple businesses each week? Will he be okay?

Old 05-16-2009, 03:36 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,147,487 times
I only had to go once, and the woman who handled my case seemed surprised that I actually had a list. Basically, all she did then was google "lawn sprinklers", printed out the results and handed it to me. She then changed it to where I was allowed to contact businesses not just in person, but by email or phone.

In other words, for me at least, they didn't seem very strict at all. She even explained that they were only really having to do this due to the federal extensions and if it weren't for that most people wouldn't be checked in on at all. If he has documentation for the emails and online resumes and such, I'm pretty confident he'll be fine. The whole point afterall is to see if he's looking for a job, which he clearly is.

Old 05-16-2009, 07:24 AM

210 posts, read 508,206 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyd View Post
My nephew has been collecting unemployment since he lost his job back late in 2008. He got a notice this week that he has to report to the local ESC office and produce documentation of his job searches.

How strict are they on this? He has been sending anywhere from 5-10 emails, or online resumes for every week and has the documentation of such. However, I was under the impression you had to actually visit a couple businesses each week? Will he be okay?
He should be fine, because he has the documentation. I printed out any jobs I applied to and had them with the list. The old employment verifications were based on a time when people searched locally for jobs. Did he go to any job fairs? He could list those as a visit.

Old 05-16-2009, 02:05 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,339,439 times
verification? oops... I better start sending out some resumes. It is really hard to keep it up and not get discouraged.

Old 05-16-2009, 03:27 PM

210 posts, read 508,206 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by XcapefromNJ View Post
verification? oops... I better start sending out some resumes. It is really hard to keep it up and not get discouraged.
Yes, it is hard, but to quote all the pros in my PIT meetings, you've got to treat it like a job and work at it a few hours everyday. And write it down in your unemployment log. I worked every angle I could, looking deeply into my background and applying for things where I could use my old skills.

I had 3 interviews in late April, and one of them was a second interview. I was asked to go to Atlanta for a second interview and on the same day given a job offer in Charlotte. I took the offer and start next week.

Please hang in there and keep trying. January to April were terrible, but more people in our groups are finally getting interviews, because they are not stopping in their searches. We've also had people finally getting jobs, but it's a lot of work.

Old 05-16-2009, 07:48 PM

5 posts, read 14,393 times
FYI if you enrolled in any class and fax in your proof that you paid for a class (any class) you can start receiving your UE benefits along with any severance pay you are getting. When your first file your claim will suspend awaiting your proof you enrolled in class. BTW it can be a online course, there are plenty out there less than $100, it worth it since you can get 2 checks.

Old 05-17-2009, 01:52 AM

332 posts, read 1,431,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheilw63 View Post
FYI if you enrolled in any class and fax in your proof that you paid for a class (any class) you can start receiving your UE benefits along with any severance pay you are getting. When your first file your claim will suspend awaiting your proof you enrolled in class. BTW it can be a online course, there are plenty out there less than $100, it worth it since you can get 2 checks.
Where did you get this information? I've had clients who actually lost their NC ESC UE benefits because they started taking classes.

Also, unless something has changed very recently, I know for a fact that you are not supposed to be paid benefits for any week you receive severence. If you are found out, you will be expected to repay the money and you will lose eligibility for future benefits. It's even subject to prosecution (though I doubt they have time/resources to get around to it)...

If the rules have changed, please advise... I need to update some of my colleagues since we may have affected clients.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:26 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,438,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformationPlease View Post
Where did you get this information? I've had clients who actually lost their NC ESC UE benefits because they started taking classes.

Also, unless something has changed very recently, I know for a fact that you are not supposed to be paid benefits for any week you receive severence. If you are found out, you will be expected to repay the money and you will lose eligibility for future benefits. It's even subject to prosecution (though I doubt they have time/resources to get around to it)...

If the rules have changed, please advise... I need to update some of my colleagues since we may have affected clients.
Actually, the rule is you may be eligible to receive benefits while receiving severance if, and only if, you're enrolled in a class through a college or university (accredited) and can show proof of enrollment. A general rule of thumb is, the class should be equal in length to that of your severance pay (in other words, if you received a month of severance pay, your class should be a month long). The severance would not disqualify you from receiving benefits if you meet this requirement.

So enrolling in a one or two night breadmaking or notary public class would not really satisfy the stipulation. If you're not enrolled in a bonafide class, then no, you cannot receive unemployment while receiving severance pay. AND, the severance pay is counted weekly (in other words, if you receive a lump sum $20K severance payment it doesn't just count against you the week you received it. It's spread out as if it were your regular weekly earnings and you'd be eligible for unemployment after your severance "runs out" and you serve a waiting week).

And I think what you're talking about, about losing the UI benefits because of taking classes, is because then the issue of "availability" arises. They would not be "available" for work. But in the case of severance, if they're enrolled in a class while receiving severance, then the severance is not an issue. I think there's a difference between taking A class - where it could be a night class and you're still available for work during the day - and taking a "load" of classes where it cuts into your availability for work. But yes, I can see where it could turn into an "availability" issue if several classes were taken. Of course as with many things, interpretation can vary from office to office and consultant to consultant.

The most important rule to receiving unemployment is you have to be "able, available and willing to work".

Last edited by jdljr; 05-17-2009 at 03:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina