Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 12:36 PM

448 posts, read 1,471,870 times

Advertisements

they did have a really good restaurant though. Not sure if its still there. It was called Studabakers. Great burger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 12:01 AM

668 posts, read 2,187,949 times
I was born, raised and will die in Steubenville! I love this town... Where else can you get a great view of the Ohio River? The scenic valleys, and the wooded areas around it?

As a kid I used to play in the woods, (unfortunately, kids now days dont know the pleasure of going up in the woods, swinging on monkey vines and hunting for fossils in the rocks!).

In the West End, you have some beautiful homes. Along 4th street, you have the old mansions that have now been turned into homes, or offices for Doctors and other things.
Its true, a lot of businesses have left Steubenville, down town, but, on the hilltop, you have a lot of them that have moved in! Sunset blvd has more businesses that all of downtown, from the River, clear out to the Wintersville line!

We have built new Schools, (Harding School is new, and we have a new School on the John Scott Connector, and Garfield School has been completely refurbished into a new School now.
Lincoln Elementary, (which I and my kids went to, is closed down now, and Grant school is now gone and a gravel lot is there where it stood.

We are getting rid of crack houses, (being torn down and replaced by grass lots), so that business is being run out of town. You have more pizza places in this town than anywhere I know of! But, DiCarlos is the best pizza place in town, and its down town and on top of the hill.

You have older homes in the South end, and they are trying to refurbish a lot of the homes all around the City, so we dont look like a blighted area, and they are doing a good job of it! If a house is abandoned and it becomes an eyesore, then it gets town down, or put up for auction, so that some one can bid on it and either refurbish it or tear it down and put something else in its place.

We are connected to about everywhere. 60 miles South of Youngstown, 20 miles North of Wheeling, 40 miles West of Pittsburgh, and you can always travel to Columbus which is 2.5 hours away via Route 22 to 77, then to via Interstate 70! So, I think we have a wonderful City and would invite you to visit or live here!

Many Churches of all faith, and plenty of places to Worship!
Updated Schools, (the High School even has a new pool for swimming and a new Gym and cricculums. Two High Schools, (one Public and one Catholic), a College, and a University!
So, we have a lot to offer...
May the LORD Bless each of you.

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 03-19-2009, 09:59 PM

421 posts, read 1,566,696 times
Very enjoyable description of Steubenville, Jesse! I like your mention of playing in the woods growing up. I agree that kids today are missing something by not playing outside. I grew up playing in the sandbox in theback yard and in the woods, and am thankful that I did. This was back in the 70's, so there were no computer games yet. I remember when Atari came out during my teen years. I just couldn't get in to playing that on a nice day when there was so much fun to be had outside. I'd play with the neighbor kids in the winter, but that was about it. Dad always had chores in the yard assigned, and I'd follow these up by playing in the woods.

Glad to hear Steubenville is not doing as bad as some indicate. Is the area around the Save-A-Lot the worst part of town?

Old 03-20-2009, 09:23 AM

19 posts, read 85,663 times
Steubenville is located along the Ohio River in Jefferson County. I haven't heard much about it, the only thing I know is that it has had a poor reputation of political corruption. But the good thing is that it has two good universities for higher education.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:49 PM

140 posts, read 606,442 times
Sounds like a nice small town, Jesse. Perhaps someone can start a Steubenville, OH photo thread.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:04 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,738,498 times
Default The smell, you always know when you are getting close to Steubenville.

Nice thing about driving Route 7 on the Ohio side, you always know when you are getting close to Steubenville, the smell gives it away. Just the issue of air quality is enough to turn most folks off. Same for much of the river valley at times.

I was born in Jefferson County and used to go to Steubenville as a kid. Its glory like many of the river towns is a bit faded. Steubenville is also the county seat for Jefferson County and its political center. Talk to anyone in the rest of Jefferson County and they have nothing good to say about Steubenville, political corruption is alive and well, the rest of the county suffers greatly because of it. Steubenville is the problem, not the solution for much of the county's needs and ills.

I still go back to various places in Jefferson County for visits. Never stop in Steubenville, nothing to really stop for, most of the folks I know still living in Jefferson County never go there either. Going back next week again, will not see any reason to stop in Steubenville again. I'm within the broadcast range of Steubenville's TV station. Just watching the news is enough to turn me off further, lot of it ain't pretty.

If I really wanted to live in that area, would live well out from Steubenville, maybe up in the hills back from the river, some of the smaller towns or more rural settings. Get up in elevation. Fog and dealing with it early in the morning / late at night on some days is another big turn off, same with much of the River Valley. You have to consider it when planning trips. Steubenville is a long way from Paradise, if you don't have roots there, I can't think of many reasons for trying to plant some at this time.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:06 AM

13 posts, read 42,442 times
Default Miss steubenville

I was born and raised in Steubenville. I graduated from Catholic Central in 1976. I love this town. I moved away when I got married and if I had the chance I would move back. I just wish there were more jobs there. The PIZZA is the best!!!!

Old 02-25-2010, 05:33 PM

668 posts, read 2,187,949 times
Steubenville is a wonderful City! I was born, raised and retired in Steubenville.
Sure, we have a depressed market at the moment, with the Steel Mills almost shut down completely, but, there are other things moving into and around the City. Wal-Mart Distribution Center about 8 miles or so away, and other businesses moving into, or around that area. The Schools are excellent, with an exansion of Steubenville High School (new track, and swimming pool and new gym). We have a thriving Catholic Community, via the Schools, and University. New Schools, and you have a great highway system so that you can get here, there or anywhere in a short time.
Steubenville is starting to become a retirement center, with housing for Seniors in a few highrises.

Dont write off Steubenville before you visit this place. We have a variety of cultures here and festivals to honor them, be it Grecian Festival, African American festivals, Italian Festivals, and a whole host of other things and places to see and do.

We have more pizza places that are excellent, that people come far and near to taste! (My Brother from Michigan still comes down to DiCarlos Pizza and brings his family once a year to get some REAL pizza, as he calls it).

Now, as for crime rate... Sure, we have it. But, then again, so does every small, medium and large town, so whats new? If you get to know your neighbors, then everyone looks out for each other.

Come down, and talk to the Mayor, and just plain folks around town, and get a 'feel' for Steubenville, to see if its a place that you may like, or even love as I do! If you have a job in Pittsburgh, dont get rid of it, just commute. There are some people who daily commute to other Communities, in order to work and even play.
Just my opinion about a great small town...

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 03-03-2010, 11:55 AM

167 posts, read 431,639 times
BigTuna, This is outside of the topic posted. Have you ever read a book entitled; The End of America?

Old 03-03-2010, 06:41 PM

16,551 posts, read 19,717,250 times
I am curious about these "Pedal Cars". Anyone?!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio