Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 09:54 AM

668 posts, read 2,186,962 times

Advertisements

There used to be a building on 4th street that was a 'showroom'l, and it had an old car in it, and some toys, (one inclueded a pedal car)... Those toys were the type I played with, when I was a kid, so, they are on exibit. The store front was a huge glass affair, and it covered the entire front of the store, so you could see all the antiques inside.

I did inquire once about it, and they said its only for exibit, and that none of it was for sale.

Whether the store is still down town or not, I dont know, since I am disabled and don't get around much, but I know its South of the Convinient Store on North 4th Street, and on the East side of the Street. I have never seen this store open for business, (I dont even know what type of business was even in there), so good luck on it.

I wish you well...

Jesse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 09:17 PM

1 posts, read 3,606 times
steubenville is a joke. I was born and raised there and the city is worthless I now live in canton and its so much better theres so much more to do than see a monopolized walmart and a run down Mall. Wow I don't miss that place at all I won't even go there anymore and my parents live there I make them meet me in wintersville. Theres way to many problems with that city and they will never get fixed because nobody wants to start businesses there.

Old 04-09-2010, 06:19 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,027,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedaway867 View Post
steubenville is a joke. I was born and raised there and the city is worthless I now live in canton and its so much better theres so much more to do than see a monopolized walmart and a run down Mall. Wow I don't miss that place at all I won't even go there anymore and my parents live there I make them meet me in wintersville. Theres way to many problems with that city and they will never get fixed because nobody wants to start businesses there.
Wow...nice to hear someone say something positive about Canton for once! Usually the tone is the same as this forum (including your post) is on Steubenville. To be fair, you are comparing a small town to a medium sized town, so it makes sense that Canton would offer more.

Old 08-21-2010, 12:02 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,035,351 times
I visited Steubenville recently, just out of curiosity. Here are some of my impressions!

There is a North Fourth Street Historic District, just as you are coming into downtown, and it is crammed with gorgeous Victorian mansions. Some of them are lovingly restored, others are in a state of disrepair. But I imagine if you wanted a Victorian mansion, this would be the city to get a good deal on one (probably half the price of Shadyside in Pittsburgh, but has the same vibe).

As you are coming into downtown, there are many abandoned buildings and vacant store fronts. There are also empty spaces where you can see buildings once stood and were torn down. However, the downtown has enourmous potential. There are dozens of gorgeous historic buildings just crying out for renovation and reuse. There are a few very tall early 1900s skyscrapers that give the area a "big city" feel. It is quite dense and urban for a town of only 20k people.

There is a historic Fort Steuben, which is recreated and restored to its 1700s glory. There are beautiful views of the river, mountains, and bridges from the town (not unlike Pittsburgh).

While I was extremely impressed, I was also depressed that the condition of the town was not better. The town reminded me of Wheeling, West Virginia, another charming town full of history that has seen better days. I wanted to see all those historic buildings restored. But what can you do -- it's the rust belt.

Old 08-21-2010, 10:16 AM

2,785 posts, read 6,632,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
I visited Steubenville recently, just out of curiosity. Here are some of my impressions!

There is a North Fourth Street Historic District, just as you are coming into downtown, and it is crammed with gorgeous Victorian mansions. Some of them are lovingly restored, others are in a state of disrepair. But I imagine if you wanted a Victorian mansion, this would be the city to get a good deal on one (probably half the price of Shadyside in Pittsburgh, but has the same vibe).

As you are coming into downtown, there are many abandoned buildings and vacant store fronts. There are also empty spaces where you can see buildings once stood and were torn down. However, the downtown has enourmous potential. There are dozens of gorgeous historic buildings just crying out for renovation and reuse. There are a few very tall early 1900s skyscrapers that give the area a "big city" feel. It is quite dense and urban for a town of only 20k people.

There is a historic Fort Steuben, which is recreated and restored to its 1700s glory. There are beautiful views of the river, mountains, and bridges from the town (not unlike Pittsburgh).

While I was extremely impressed, I was also depressed that the condition of the town was not better. The town reminded me of Wheeling, West Virginia, another charming town full of history that has seen better days. I wanted to see all those historic buildings restored. But what can you do -- it's the rust belt.
Steubenville and Wheeling are really just smaller versions of Pittsburgh. From history and ecomomics, to the people themselves (culture, etc).

Old 08-31-2010, 03:07 AM

2 posts, read 10,880 times
Steubenville is dump, I moved to Wintersville OH in 2008 and lived about 1/4 mile from the city line.
I would say any city with a population as low as 20,000 ( actually less) that has legitamet gang problems, several shooting incidents a year ( 3 homicides in 2008) and the amount of abandoned and boarded homes and business's as Stuebenville does is a place you do no want to live. 1980-2000 the Steubenville- Weirton Wv area had the fastest declining population in the US of any "urban area". Not a good area to live in any sense of the word. The water quality is even very poor, a local physician told me he commonly saw people who were new to the area who's skin would become irritated after showering (after it happened to me) . One could say the crime is much less severe than the worst areas of Pittsburgh for example, but its much more in your face in a small city like Steubenville. As far as the things you would look for in a place to raise a family or move your family to... it doesent have any.. theres nothing going on in the area. I moved away in less than a year. Hated it.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:47 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,141,847 times
Not Me and my household and we live here in the Useless Nut State (Buckeye), we're Democrats thru and thru, no one listen to what FOX 8 news says anyway. The only person on that team we watch is Dick Godard, then we turn the channel because the rest of them are idiots.

Old 10-20-2010, 01:23 PM

1,859 posts, read 5,027,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
Not Me and my household and we live here in the Useless Nut State (Buckeye), we're Democrats thru and thru, no one listen to what FOX 8 news says anyway. The only person on that team we watch is Dick Godard, then we turn the channel because the rest of them are idiots.
What does Fox 8 or Democrats have to do w/Steubenville? Fox 8 is in the Cleveland-Akron-Canton markets, Steubenville receives the Pittsburgh Fox affiliate.

Old 10-20-2010, 03:09 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,141,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
What does Fox 8 or Democrats have to do w/Steubenville? Fox 8 is in the Cleveland-Akron-Canton markets, Steubenville receives the Pittsburgh Fox affiliate.
I don't know, I was just replying to Khaida's post . but now that you mentioned it, they are Fox affiliates, right?

Old 12-08-2010, 10:24 PM

2 posts, read 4,610 times
Post Living ina small town all so the place where i was born

My name is larry and i was born in stenbenville and iam thinking about comming back home well my mom and dad most of my family lived in steubenville.martinsferry,rayland,bridgeport any how all my family lived in the area untill i was 9 and we moved to marion,ohio witch was a nice place to live and work ,raise a family but now ,wo you talk about drug's,killing,robbery's it is like the aid's here in marion spreading bad. I dont think the people know just how bad a town or city can get drug infested.let me say iam hard to scare well i dont scare but i would move back to my town where i was born steubenville in a heart beat.seen enough of the big city life ,but as i was saying i dont scare but would feel more safer in stenbenville than marion,ohio any day. Not only you have drugie's you deal with,you have kid napping,childern being killed cause dad or mom owed drug dealer. Scam's like you would not believe,not sure but would all most say cop's on the take,city of marion the sameway court's should just hold a gun to your head and take your money cause their taking your money left and right to,just in a lawfull way like i said scam's.talk about children well the child serves in marion dont do nothing when a child really needs removed from a home,reason they know the family has no money they or city can make nothing from them,but take a middle or high class family and their right on it. O dont get me wrong iam not rich iam lucky to get by on my income.i have a daughter who was born at 6 month's and lack of oxgen to her brain made her a slow and not able to play the scam's or cheating anyone.but just my luck she ran into a drug head christopher barth and got her hooked on drug's also made ittwice as bad. I can not even get her to do the right thing's any more when there was a time she listened to me and would not go against my word no matter who you was not that i scared her she just trusted me well any way they have failed drug test at children serves 5 time's and court's still will not let my wife and i take the kid's till they get help or kid's are old enough to take care of their self's. But all that aside take it from me if you live in a place like steubenville stay there,might be more job's and thing's to do in a bigger city but not worth it far as iam concerned.matter fact if we do not get our grandbabies turned over to us we will probility head for my home steubenville cant take this big city living no more. But i have been through my home town few time's since we left and boy has it growed i was born 1962 and we headed out in1971.take me home country road lol larry doughty
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio