Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 11:29 PM

2 posts, read 4,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasharon View Post
dean martin was born there.
was born in martinsferry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 04:28 PM

668 posts, read 2,187,949 times
ROTFLOL!! Deal Martin was born in Steubenville! LOL
Its funny, everyone wants to claim him for fame, but, Deana Martin (Dean Martin's Daughter), comes here for Dean Martin Festival, (a three day event). She has been coming here for years now.

Steubenville has one thing over Youngstown. After 4pm, if your in Youngstown, YOU CANT STOP FOR RED LIGHTS, OR, YOU MAY BE ROBBED!! In Steubenville, we have no problem, such as that.
(Yes, I used to go to Youngstown on a regular basis, visiting a buddy at the canoe shop in Boardman, and both he and the stores owner stressed that to me! Lucky, I was never there after 4pm.)

If you have a job in Pittsburgh, and want to live in the 'Bedroom" communityof Pittsburgh, then this is a nice place to live. The South End, and North End are a bit 'rough' in terms of houses, but, they are almost all gone...(Downed by the wrecking ball for progress).

Our snow removal is among the best, and our Schools hardly ever miss a day because of it-->(much to the disatisfaction of all students!)... But, if your thinking of living here and commuting to Pittsburgh, every day, be warned, State Route 22 going East to Pittsburgh is treacherous in the Wintertime, leaving Weirton, West Virginia! Big rigs and cars are always jack knifing on that stretch of highway, and its a mess at times of snow or ice.

Steubenville is getting to be a Retirement City now, with an older population. I among a lot of retirees enjoy the many resturants in town, for breakfast, and you will meet a lot of Retirees at the YMCA, (Old converted St Johns Arena by Trinity West Hospital), in the mornings til 12 noon. After 2:30, you will see the "School Crowd" there, from High School to College Students.

We have two great High Schools, one Catholic and one Public, and a number of both grade schools of each. Our Public High School, "Big Red" or Steubenville High School has a recently remodeled gym, new pool and running track inside the school. We have new public schools that have opened in the last few years, so, we are growing in that direction.

The University is growing, adding new land and has Students from many far away lands. Its a renowned Catholic University and holds meetings for events, that are Nationally known.

Ive lived here most of my life, and wouldnt trade it for any other small town, as I retired and will die here, with a smile on my face!

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 01-18-2011, 07:38 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,029,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkingmenace View Post

Our snow removal is among the best, and our Schools hardly ever miss a day because of it-->(much to the disatisfaction of all students!)... But, if your thinking of living here and commuting to Pittsburgh, every day, be warned, State Route 22 going East to Pittsburgh is treacherous in the Wintertime, leaving Weirton, West Virginia! Big rigs and cars are always jack knifing on that stretch of highway, and its a mess at times of snow or ice.
FYI...it's actually US Route 22 as it stretches from Ohio to New Jersey.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:47 PM

93 posts, read 203,441 times
I drive through Steubenville quite often for a joy ride up to Rt22 to Amish Country.

I can't say it is a nice town to live in though. I would say go to Cadiz, or Richmond and the drive is not far to Steubenville.

Dean Martin is from Steubenville, my husband's grandmother was born there, dated Dean Martin at Steubenville School. Steubenville reminds me of a few towns in Pgh Pa, is somber like with some drugs, gangs etc. Some homes are decent but many are abandoned. I am not sure how the jobs, economy and housing is now. I have not been through year in a last year and half.

Good luck

Old 06-26-2020, 10:39 PM

86 posts, read 72,267 times
What small town is the nicest in this region (Oh or WV)? We're south of DC in a pretty expensive area that is getting too busy, too liberal...thinking of a quieter place to finish raising the kids. We need high speed internet for work and good air quality for a health condition. Thank you

Old 06-26-2020, 11:15 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,868,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjwoll View Post
What small town is the nicest in this region (Oh or WV)? We're south of DC in a pretty expensive area that is getting too busy, too liberal...thinking of a quieter place to finish raising the kids. We need high speed internet for work and good air quality for a health condition. Thank you
I was in that area of the country in 2003. I was only 21 at the time.

I was in Steubenville twice. Decent city, seemed quiet with more occupied buildings than other cities in the region but it is very hilly, scenic and lush in the summer.

I like that part of the country alot. Especially historic cities of that size in lush, hilly scenery.

Based on what I saw then. Wheeling would have been my first choice, Wheeling seemed much newer and was sort of similar to a suburb of a city, Steubenville seemed very historic, with big buildings some seemed unoccupied because I believe the area has been shrinking in population.

The scenery is very, very nice in that area. It's extremely lush in the summer. I was there in the summer and the weather was very nice.

Steuebenville seemed much rugged with older buildings than Weirton or Wheeling. Seemed to lots of unused large buildings from the 19th century.

Steubenville seemed denser and rugged, Weirton was relatively clean and looked very nice, Wheeling is sort of in-between the two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio