Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 11:27 AM

29 posts, read 67,866 times

Advertisements

I am from Pittsburgh and I was curious as to the nature of the town of Steubenville. I work in the South Hills and hear that there is decent living down there. Reasonably priced and nice people. Before I move my family, I was hoping to get some insight. I hear the pizza is especially good too. Please reply with any opinions. Thank You.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 06:56 PM

20 posts, read 96,259 times
My sister lived there for a while and she really hated it--too many closed minded individuals and not much to do outside of work. Usually it's refered to as "stupid"-ville if that helps.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:46 PM

1 posts, read 8,578 times
Default re steubenville

You should read Rankira's post about Richmond, OH -- not far down the Ohio postings from yours. She talks accurately about Steubenville. Your best bet is to aim for one of the smaller, nonriver towns. Make sure to check out schools.

Old 12-10-2007, 04:39 PM

3 posts, read 17,681 times
Default A mixed town

Steubenville breaks my heart. You can see what a gorgeous and prosperous city it once was. The downtown has beautiful old buildings (mostly vacant) and huge old mansions, which are either uninhabited, or drug houses. There are a few nice neighborhoods with families who have grown up there and have been lucky enough to be employed in some job that doesn't rely on the mill (doctors, lawyers, teacher, etc). I know many, many great people from Steubenville - but there is a drug and crime problem. It is getting better, but to be honest, there is no reason to live in the town. There is no commerce besides just supporting the minimal residents. Growth is stagnant, there aren't any companies to employ people.

The city LOVES their high school and high school football team. I don't blame them, they have won the state football title for the past 2 years (they lost this year in the tournament).

If you buy a house in the few nice neighborhoods, and you have a solid job and income, you will probably love the town. You need to get involved and meet your neighbors and support the school, etc.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:43 AM

160 posts, read 644,093 times
dean martin was born there.

Old 12-11-2007, 05:24 PM

2,179 posts, read 7,374,414 times
pa sharon.
i think Dean was born in Mingo jct, but claimed stub..... but i am not sure?
i was told that the menthol cigarette was invented in Mingo jct?

Old 12-15-2007, 10:56 PM

47 posts, read 211,313 times
Default Steubenville

I was born in Steub but my family lived in Wintersville, a small town west of steub. I moved to Columbus after college (Univ of Steubenville) and lived there for about 20 years. We moved to Dallas (suburb called Southlake) over four years ago. My parents still live in Wintersville.

the Steubenville area is very economically depressed. That is why we moved all those years ago. It's employment base was centered in the steel mills.

Politically, it is very Democratic. Housing is very affordable, but the tricky part of the equation is finding a job that is well-paying. There isn't much in the way of fine arts.....symphony, etc. You have to drive to Pittsburgh for those things. The shopping is very poor as well. There is a small mall there, but several of the large anchor stores have closed, as have many of the smaller shops.

The pizza is FABULOUS!!! It is the best I have ever tasted anywhere in the country, including New York and Chicago. Go to Giannamore's on Cadiz Roac in Wintersville, or DiCarlo's on Sunset Blvd at the Steubenville/Wintersville line. I'm homesick just talking about it!

Anyway, the people are very nice, down-to-earth types. Lots of ethnic culture there, too. Slovac, Greek, Italian, Serbian, Polish, etc.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:50 PM

2 posts, read 14,196 times
Talking My Town

Well I a Steubenvillian..... I was born and raised here and most people are right. At the present time, Steubenville is in a economic crisis. The mills shut down and it is quite depressing. But I must say this, if you didn't work in the mills then finding a job in your field may not be that hard. We have 3 hospitals in the area, too many schools, a mall, and all kinds of different job opportunities. You just have to look. I have moved all over when I got out of high school and it wasn't until 15 years later I decided to move back, and it is the best decision I have ever made. Some people talk about the crime, but our crime is nothing compared to big cities. People make it seem worse because we are small. I don't think steubenville is a bad place to live. Especially if you love small town living. Like every other city it has it's good and bad. Oh yes, we do have the best pizza!!!! As a parent, I LOVE this school system. They are actually here for the kids. The fact that Pittsburgh and Wheeling are not far from us makes getting jobs even better if you don't mind commuting. I think that no one should write this city off. OH yes and we do have a BANGING football team. Much love

Old 01-10-2008, 03:28 PM

492 posts, read 2,371,347 times
Steubenville sounds like a mini-Youngstown??? Any ideas? I never got to check out the area when I lived in Ohio. Maybe when I come back home...

Old 01-10-2008, 03:53 PM

127 posts, read 924,874 times
There is an awesome marina just down the river which has all sorts of social events in the summer. Rayland marina, with its new ownership, pulled over 500 people to several events last year and has a great hometown atmosphere.
The town of Steubanville itself is full of wonderful people in an economic downturn, although I heard Wal-Mart was thinking of putting in a distribution center potentially leading to a turnaround.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio