Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 11:02 AM

1,408 posts, read 4,864,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Love Arthur Treacher's! But I sure miss the Tim Horton's in Canal Winchester that closed. (Had truck parking) I deliver at night and Tim Horton's (as most drive thrus won't serve pedestrians at drive thru windows. And my big truck won't fit in the drive thru
I'm surprised how quickly they open/close things in that Canal Winchester area. That Wendy's that now sits abandoned & boarded up? I remember when it was built! It opened & closed all in the space of maybe 10-15 years.

That's one thing I love about places like Zanesville, Lancaster & similar smaller towns. Change happens only gradually, and things often remain the way they were long after the bigger cities have changed beyond recognition. In a small town, most change that isn't really necessary...doesn't happen.

Example: in addition to Arthur Treachers, Lancaster still has a Rax! (on U.S. 22 east) It also has Mom & Pop eateries, stores, etc. that have been around forever. Sure, people will go to the chain restaurants if they open, but there is a strong sense of appreciation for local tradition, which keeps the home-grown places competitive. No McChain, for my money, can ever produce a better tasting burger than the White Cottage on Main St. in Lancaster. Risch's Drugstore still has a lunch counter where you can go up, order a coke, and read the paper. I love that!

I'm totally looking forward to discovering those little treasures that Zanesville has, too...

Speaking of which, OhioJam—the areas you mentioned appear to all be a little south/southwest of town, more or less off of U.S. 22 west. I'll have to look around some next time I'm over there. It looks like you're not too far from the county fairgrounds! That's cool
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2007, 09:15 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,541,581 times
Lancaster Native, there has been an absolute EXPLOSION of new restaurants in the Dayton Metro area. So many that there have been newspaper articles discussing the overabundence (and shrinking profits of same) I, too, prefer the local places over the chains. But it's getting harder to find the local joints (Confession time: we don't go into Dayton very often and I believe we're missing some real treasures...) We'd sure like to get out a little more and explore more of our great state (especially since we're naturalized Ohioans! )

Old 04-09-2008, 08:49 AM

1 posts, read 6,904 times
If you are interested in history and architecture, check out Putnam, which is just south of downtown across the 6th Street bridge.

There is a lot of work being done on homes in the area....and some are beginning to turn 200 years old. Muddy Misers is a great restraunt that is a bit up-scale but not too much so; and Weasel Boy is a micro-brewery that opened in an old wharehouse.

The area was also important to the underground railroad. Three museums are in the district.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:48 AM

1 posts, read 6,711 times
Hay everyone - Im gong to apologize now for my spelling ;-)
I am 21 and have lived here my whole life and im itching to get out but i've got some pointers for anyone trying to get in. I lived on the north-end until i started high school and my mom refused to let me go to the school there because of the violence and drugs so we moved to the south-end and i wouldnt have it any other way. Yes there is more "hicks" on this end but i would much rather have that then the "hoods". The neighborhood i lived in growing up had a murder in the street practically in front of our house a week after we moved out. The area just went down hill so fast. Yes there are some beautiful homes near Blue Ave and such- if you can afford them but i would say you could get much more bang for your buck with some land outside the south-end. My parents got a 3 bed, medium sized, average home with over an acre of land and views to die for. There is rolling hills all around them with views of lakes and beautiful mature treese. Around that area a nice home with acreage will run you ab $100,000-$150,000 or so. Some roads i would try out first would be Coopermill (Old and New), Pinkerton and Potts. Much farther out and we would considerthat the "sticks" :-) I live in an apartment just down the street from my parents on Pinkerton and am very close to Wal-Mart and K-Mart and i find everything is at your fingertips. I work on the North-End but i find the 10 min commute far better than living there. It dosnt take long at all to get to the north-end shoping and dinning if you take the back-roads to West Pike 40 and come up by Dillion school and North Point Drive. ( Youll def find the back roads the best way to get anywhere!) I am actually getting antsey of this place and looking to move but thats just part of being young and wanting to try something new i guess. Just be prepared for everyone to know everyone and the previous comment ab people being here since before dirt is DEFF true! Best of luck, I pray for you a smooth transition to this eclectic mix we call Zanesville.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:51 PM

2 posts, read 13,134 times
Tim hortons is not closed neither has wendys! It has been moved to where kroger, wal-mart, etc

Old 02-03-2009, 03:53 PM

2 posts, read 13,134 times
tim hortons is not closed it has been moved to where Kroger, Wal-Mart, and the other resturants are

Old 02-09-2009, 12:05 PM

77 posts, read 288,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancasterNative View Post
I'm surprised how quickly they open/close things in that Canal Winchester area. That Wendy's that now sits abandoned & boarded up? I remember when it was built! It opened & closed all in the space of maybe 10-15 years.

That's one thing I love about places like Zanesville, Lancaster & similar smaller towns. Change happens only gradually, and things often remain the way they were long after the bigger cities have changed beyond recognition. In a small town, most change that isn't really necessary...doesn't happen.

Example: in addition to Arthur Treachers, Lancaster still has a Rax! (on U.S. 22 east) It also has Mom & Pop eateries, stores, etc. that have been around forever. Sure, people will go to the chain restaurants if they open, but there is a strong sense of appreciation for local tradition, which keeps the home-grown places competitive. No McChain, for my money, can ever produce a better tasting burger than the White Cottage on Main St. in Lancaster. Risch's Drugstore still has a lunch counter where you can go up, order a coke, and read the paper. I love that!

I'm totally looking forward to discovering those little treasures that Zanesville has, too...

Speaking of which, OhioJam—the areas you mentioned appear to all be a little south/southwest of town, more or less off of U.S. 22 west. I'll have to look around some next time I'm over there. It looks like you're not too far from the county fairgrounds! That's cool

They closed Wendy's and Tim Thorton's because ODOT bought them out I think. They did basically shut off access to the stores with the improvement of 33.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:56 PM

1 posts, read 6,472 times
alright. well if anyone really thinks zanesville is that great. then if you don't live there move back and if you do live there then stay. because zanesville is terrible. there are very few parts of the town that are still good. all of dresden ave is good. most of maple ave is good. but other then that it is not a good place to live at all. yes there is alot of crime and drugs all over the town. i am 23 and ive seen parts that most people that live there haven't. by the fair grounds is the worst and it pretty much just spreads out from there. newark is even worst. all of newark is pretty much bad. grandville is a nice place. but its very tiny and even there is getting broke into. dresden is also a nice town. but its starting to grow with the things that happen in zanesville. i would say i pick tri-valley schools over zanesville. and i went to zanesville. all in all i just recently left zanesville area and don't plan on returning. so i would stay away.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:02 AM

1 posts, read 6,151 times
I have lived in Zanesville just about all my life and still live there, Mostly all neighborhoods have some sort of undesirable therein, Zanesville's no different. The east side of Zanesville towards New Concord and Cambridge is a very nice area with lots of homes, businesses, and acreage. East Muskingum Schools is by far the best school district in the area it is however, not a very diverse environment. I think in my graduating class there were maybe 2 non-white students (the high school and middle school are located in the village of new concord and is about 15 minutes away from Zanesville) I would keep my children out of zanesville schools at all costs

Old 07-25-2009, 03:06 PM

5 posts, read 18,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancasterNative View Post
LOL! That's a hoot. In a Suburban even? Geez...

That whole stretch of 33 thru my hometown was such a pain in the butt before the 33 Bypass. Some of those stoplights aren't even 500 ft. apart! And they're never synchronized for good traffic flow. It still gets hectic thru there even today, but at least now the folks en route to Logan or Athens have a fast, scenic alternative.

LOL! I grew up in Logan! I love driving the loop around Lancaster now when I go home to visit the fam. It is so pretty. Although I usually drive back through Lancaster, cause I lived there too. Southeast Ohio is just gorgeous. I miss it....I live in Michigan....flat flat flat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio