Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 07:10 PM

2 posts, read 3,235 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are planning to move to Ohio in July. After reading the info that's been posted I'm not sure Zanesville is the place for us. I have twin 17 yr old boys. We presently live in Las Vegas, NV and no longer want this climate. My husband is planning a trip to Zanesville this June and will be there for a week. We have never been to Ohio. I do have a sister that lives in Dresden. She's been there for 6 to 7 yrs. She loves it! My husband is retired and I will be July 1. I have noticed you saying the Northside is a better area. After reading the other messages I'm starting to have second thoughts about moving there. Not sure of what the rentals prices are not to mention the racial attitudes are like. My sister tells me it's like anywhere else but not sure now. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 07:31 PM

2 posts, read 3,235 times
spaceCadetGlow, I live in Las Vegas, NV and planning to move to Zanesville in July. I'm white and my husband is black (light skin) and I also have twin boys that are 17 and white. I'm a little concerned about moving there. I know there's racisim everywhere you go but how bad is it there? I have a sister that's lived in Dresden for 6 to 7 yrs. She says there's nothing to worry about. My husband is retired and I will be retiring in July. We both are so ready to get out of the desert and back to what we were raised with, natural grassy yards, trees, the change in the seasons, slower pace, that kind of thing. I appreciate any honest information you could give. Thank you.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:14 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Bunch o slackers in this forum.
Never heard of this Y bridge. So I had to look it up.
Allow me to do what one of you should have:

(teasing of course)

Old 02-28-2011, 06:54 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,172,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NanaLela View Post
spaceCadetGlow, I live in Las Vegas, NV and planning to move to Zanesville in July. I'm white and my husband is black (light skin) and I also have twin boys that are 17 and white. I'm a little concerned about moving there. I know there's racisim everywhere you go but how bad is it there? I have a sister that's lived in Dresden for 6 to 7 yrs. She says there's nothing to worry about. My husband is retired and I will be retiring in July. We both are so ready to get out of the desert and back to what we were raised with, natural grassy yards, trees, the change in the seasons, slower pace, that kind of thing. I appreciate any honest information you could give. Thank you.
A rule of thumb for OH is, the farther south you go, the more likely you are to run into racial discrimination. There are certain places (like Athens and much of the Columbus area) where this will not be true. The rest, not so much. This isn't to say that it won't work for you. But, your best bet is to locate yourselves nearer to a bigger city if it is a huge concern. Around places like Cleveland or Columbus, most people won't even bat an eye.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:49 PM

2 posts, read 3,024 times
Just like every town it has its bad areas. Zanesville is a nice place to live if you know where to go. I lived there all my life then moved to columbus 2 years ago. Hate it here. I miss the peace and quiet.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:52 PM

2 posts, read 3,024 times
Zanesville has no problem with race issues.

Old 01-24-2021, 08:03 PM

1 posts, read 468 times
I live in Zanesville and I'll tell you it sucks. Drugs, more frequent than usual shootings, and hookers. The school district performs so poorly my children get a scholarship to go to a private school. The north side is WAY better than any other side. I stay so my kids can continue to get a great education. Other than that, we would be gone.

Old 01-25-2021, 07:44 PM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times
Driving through there a few times as the only major stop between Columbus and Wheeling, it looks kinda dumpy. It’s also pretty isolated, so you can’t up and visit nearby (nicer) towns like you can with, say, Springfield or Middletown. I think it would be pretty depressing to relocate unless you had family or friends already there.

Old 01-26-2021, 02:00 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Driving through there a few times as the only major stop between Columbus and Wheeling, it looks kinda dumpy. It’s also pretty isolated, so you can’t up and visit nearby (nicer) towns like you can with, say, Springfield or Middletown. I think it would be pretty depressing to relocate unless you had family or friends already there.
What's not nice about Middletown?

Old 01-29-2021, 04:11 PM

509 posts, read 780,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamas01 View Post
I live in Zanesville and I'll tell you it sucks. Drugs, more frequent than usual shootings, and hookers. The school district performs so poorly my children get a scholarship to go to a private school. The north side is WAY better than any other side. I stay so my kids can continue to get a great education. Other than that, we would be gone.
Do you think it can make a comeback? What industries caused it to grow in the first place? So they left and no big businesses will every come back there?

Can people commute to Columbus from there or too far?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio