Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 09:16 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,983,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brajohns81 View Post
Yes, I respect muslims and jews too. You seem to think all conservatives are the same, most of us don't want the government interfering with anything that is a private matter.
I see, you want to label all liberals as though they are the same, but conservatives must be parsed because there is disagreement with some policies? Typical..........

Tell me where in Oklahoma you live or what connection you have with Oklahoma. Or are you just hanging out here to irritate people and cause dissension?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 09:51 AM

8,039 posts, read 4,514,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
I see, you want to label all liberals as though they are the same, but conservatives must be parsed because there is disagreement with some policies? Typical..........

Tell me where in Oklahoma you live or what connection you have with Oklahoma. Or are you just hanging out here to irritate people and cause dissension?

Old 06-13-2010, 11:36 AM

533 posts, read 1,711,147 times
In the time and place I grew up your neighbors were those people who lived around you. It really didn't matter if they were of a different religion or a different political persuasion or even a different color or anything else for that matter. They were still your neighbor. And if they needed help then you helped them and if they experienced pain or grief then you supported them as best you could.

Maybe it is because we are becoming more urban and less rural but we do seem to care more now about philosophy and religion and politics and color and other things than we do about the people themselves. Maybe it is something about cramming ourselves into cities that makes us that way. I don't know.

I recall when I went to the army way back when and I had never flown or hardly traveled at all and was feeling awfully alone. And then I met this guy from Oklahoma in my training company. All of a sudden we were like brothers and we knew so many of the same things. I hope I helped him but I know he helped me immensely in those first few days of basic training. And the thing was that he was black and I was white and that made no difference at all to either one of us -- just that we were both from the same state.

I've always thought that Oklahoma had more than its rightful share of good neighbors. That's not to say there aren't a goodly few that are awful.

But I was taught it didn't much matter how I was treated by others but more how I treated others that mattered the most.

Old 06-13-2010, 02:10 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,506,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flintysooner View Post
In the time and place I grew up your neighbors were those people who lived around you. It really didn't matter if they were of a different religion or a different political persuasion or even a different color or anything else for that matter. They were still your neighbor. And if they needed help then you helped them and if they experienced pain or grief then you supported them as best you could.

Maybe it is because we are becoming more urban and less rural but we do seem to care more now about philosophy and religion and politics and color and other things than we do about the people themselves. Maybe it is something about cramming ourselves into cities that makes us that way. I don't know.

I recall when I went to the army way back when and I had never flown or hardly traveled at all and was feeling awfully alone. And then I met this guy from Oklahoma in my training company. All of a sudden we were like brothers and we knew so many of the same things. I hope I helped him but I know he helped me immensely in those first few days of basic training. And the thing was that he was black and I was white and that made no difference at all to either one of us -- just that we were both from the same state.

I've always thought that Oklahoma had more than its rightful share of good neighbors. That's not to say there aren't a goodly few that are awful.

But I was taught it didn't much matter how I was treated by others but more how I treated others that mattered the most.
>>>>>
And the thing was that he was black and I was white and that made no difference at all to either one of us -- just that we were both from the same state.
<<<<<

Amen to that, my Oklahoma Brother!

Old 06-13-2010, 04:50 PM

177 posts, read 314,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annemieke Roell View Post
Kate, Please let me assure you that alphamale is NOT your typical Okie. He must be an import, perhaps from Kansas or, gasp, from yankeeland.

As Goodpasture said ... let us know when you get here.
Yankeeland? Wow. Most of us are liberal, hon.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:13 PM

744 posts, read 1,847,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post

I don't live in Oklahoma, but I go there a lot. You guys label conservatives as the same all of the time so don't complain. Hypocrites. The OP doesn't want to associate with anyone conservative. How is that open-minded??

Old 06-13-2010, 07:10 PM

14 posts, read 32,592 times
Quote:
I don't live in Oklahoma, but I go there a lot. You guys label conservatives as the same all of the time so don't complain. Hypocrites. The OP doesn't want to associate with anyone conservative. How is that open-minded??
You should brush up on your reading skills. Nowhere in my post (or subsequent posts) have I said that. Fact is, I "associate" with conservatives every day of my life and am perfectly happy to do so. I merely wondered where I could find people with whom I have more in common.

However, I think you knew that and wanted to troll anyway. If trolling fills the obvious void in your life, then who am I to stand in your way? Have your fun.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Okies are just people like everywhere else. You won't have any problems with them....UNLESS...you insist on viewing everyone and every thing through a liberal/conservative prism.

If you do that, you'll cut yourself off from a lot of nice, interesting people.
That is definitely not my intention. I'm looking to find people who share some of my interests. I don't run around with a political ideology filter dictating whether or not I'll talk to that person. However, I'm pretty involved in a few progressive organizations here in Florida and would like to find an OKC counterpart if possible.

To whomever suggested okctalk.com--thank you! I am now registered over there and have read only a few threads; already I can see that atmosphere is a little more my speed and have found that forum as helpful as this one.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annemieke Roell View Post
Kate, Please let me assure you that alphamale is NOT your typical Okie. He must be an import, perhaps from Kansas or, gasp, from yankeeland.

As Goodpasture said ... let us know when you get here.
Thanks, Annemieke! I have enjoyed reading the posts of both you and Goodpasture.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:07 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,983,404 times
Quote:
I don't live in Oklahoma, but I go there a lot.
Thought as much. I suppose enjoying the service at Loves on the interstate or spending the night at a Holiday Inn Express gives you a lot of insight into the state.

Quote:
You guys label conservatives as the same all of the time so don't complain.
Actually we don't......it is one of the characteristics of true liberals....that of tolerance and acceptance of diversity, although I understand it does not match your caricature profile for liberals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City