Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 10:50 PM

1,295 posts, read 2,517,037 times

Advertisements

According to dogsbite.org, Pit bulls comprise 5% of the dog population in the U.S. but were responsible for 44% of the fatalities in 2009. If liability insurance were required for all dog owners, the actuaries would have a field day with pits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 12:12 AM

5,418 posts, read 9,221,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy77 View Post
According to dogsbite.org, Pit bulls comprise 5% of the dog population in the U.S. but were responsible for 44% of the fatalities in 2009. If liability insurance were required for all dog owners, the actuaries would have a field day with pits.

While that may be true, that's only reported bites..
Pit bulls get much more attention for biting someone than, say, a german shepherd.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
While that may be true, that's only reported bites..
Pit bulls get much more attention for biting someone than, say, a german shepherd.
Yeah, I guess there's a conspiracy afoot to hide all of those deaths caused by German Shepherds. It must be all those German journalists who control the press in this country, you just can't trust them.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:34 AM

300 posts, read 1,182,625 times
Quote:
So according to you we should outlaw motorcycles since:
"Per vehicle mile traveled, bikers are about 37 times more likely than passenger car occupants to die in a crash and 9 times more likely to be injured."
Motorcycle Statistics for Accidents and Crashes

Or how about:
http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/811162.PDF PAGE 2

As you can see 14,587 people died in car accidents and 5,290 died from motorcycle accidents. There are many more car drivers than motorcycle riders.

Just because something is considered more dangerous doesn't mean it should be outlawed.
So stop quoting biased statistics to further your skewed vision of breed hatred.

(Note: I am not against motorcycles at all (I love them personally) - I am just proving a point)

Old 04-14-2010, 01:36 AM

5,418 posts, read 9,221,702 times
Quote:
Yeah, I guess there's a conspiracy afoot to hide all of those deaths caused by German Shepherds. It must be all those German journalists who control the press in this country, you just can't trust them.
I never meant to imply a conspiracy theory, merely that your average family dog can be just as aggressive.

While I'm not defending dogs who attack people, pits get a bad rap for the whole breed compared to other breeds of dog that bite people.

Old 04-14-2010, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerahrtlu View Post
So according to you we should outlaw motorcycles since:
"Per vehicle mile traveled, bikers are about 37 times more likely than passenger car occupants to die in a crash and 9 times more likely to be injured."
Motorcycle Statistics for Accidents and Crashes

Or how about:
http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/811162.PDF PAGE 2

As you can see 14,587 people died in car accidents and 5,290 died from motorcycle accidents. There are many more car drivers than motorcycle riders.

Just because something is considered more dangerous doesn't mean it should be outlawed.
So stop quoting biased statistics to further your skewed vision of breed hatred.

(Note: I am not against motorcycles at all (I love them personally) - I am just proving a point)

You're right, but your motorcycle can't jump over a fence and bite my face off, and It's unlikely to kill anyone but the person who chooses to drive it. Bad analogy. I don't "hate" pit bulls. When a pit bull attacks, it's just responding to its nature. Unlike dog ownership, you are required to purchase insurance before you own any vehicle. Your use of the phrase "biased statistics" in this context is oxymoronic. Statistics are what they are. Cars and bikes are considered necessities in 21st century America, and I think that puts them in the category of "acceptable risk". I don't think the economy or civilization will collapse or the nation's security endangered if a particular breed of dog is banned. I've owned several dogs over the years, and believe me, I wouldn't own a pit for a number of reasons. I've often wondered why people are drawn to them as pets in the first place. Do they want to look tough? Do they feel so impotent that they have to have a pit as a prop to boost their sagging egos? Are they gang-bangers or wannabes? Does it help them get chicks? Are they desperate for attention? Are they compensating for their diminished manhood, or are they just suffering from a case of good 'ol arrested development?

Old 04-14-2010, 03:15 AM

42 posts, read 234,591 times
Quote:
I've often wondered why people are drawn to them as pets in the first place. Do they want to look tough? Do they feel so impotent that they have to have a pit as a prop to boost their sagging egos? Are they gang-bangers or wannabes? Does it help them get chicks? Are they desperate for attention? Are they compensating for their diminished manhood, or are they just suffering from a case of good 'ol arrested development?

None of the above. Try not to be so condescending...

I ended up with my pitbull via removing him from a bad situation/irresponsible owner. The girl/roomate that got him also had a bigger 80-100lbs pit. She thought having a "pitbull" would be "cool". She ended up with two male, between 50 and 100lb pitbulls. She was a 5'0" 22 year old party girl who had no idea what she got herself into.

Long story short, she moved out, we(wife and I)kept one of the two, and he has been great so far. Intelligent, loyal, great around kids, incredibly fun to have....

To the haters out there:

I have NEVER been around pit bulls in my life until the last 16 months with our own. Any notion or preconception I had before has been completely transformed.

Owners are responsible for bad situations.

Not the dog.

I had to man up and learn how to manage our dog. Apparently, there are too many folks out there that either don't care to/don't know how to manage these dogs responsibly.

Blame the people, not the breed.

Lastly, our American Staffordshire Terrier has been GREAT! and gets compliments every time he is out in public.

Also, side note, Omaha needs more dog parks....

Old 04-14-2010, 04:22 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,188,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I can guarantee you that if I had been on the scene when the latest 2 to attack did their thing, there would be no discussion of whether or not to put 'em down. I'd have done it right then and there with my bare hands.
This is not to put you down personaly. You may be a strong, young, capable person who can take care of yourself.
But there is no way any human can take out a pit bull with their bare hands if the dog is in full attack mode.
They are too quick, too strong, too fearless, and too determined to kill if something sets them off to do that.
I hope you never get in a situation where you have to find that out.
Only a gun stops a pit bull in full attack mode or a lucky hit with a heavy object on the head to knock them out.
Some people have them for years and never have a problem.
Personaly I would never have one.
People blame owners for their dogs behavoir and in some cases that is true.
But animals are animals and even good owners can't guarantee an animals behavior in certain situations.
I would never own a pit bull. If they go bad, there is no stopping them without using deadly force.
Any dog can bite. Pit bulls don't stop with just a bite when they attack.
There are some of natures animals that over match any humans physical ability to defend themselves against. A pit bull is one of them.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:52 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,477,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
This is not to put you down personaly. You may be a strong, young, capable person who can take care of yourself.
But there is no way any human can take out a pit bull with their bare hands if the dog is in full attack mode.
They are too quick, too strong, too fearless, and too determined to kill if something sets them off to do that.
I hope you never get in a situation where you have to find that out.
Only a gun stops a pit bull in full attack mode or a lucky hit with a heavy object on the head to knock them out.
Some people have them for years and never have a problem.
Personaly I would never have one.
People blame owners for their dogs behavoir and in some cases that is true.
But animals are animals and even good owners can't guarantee an animals behavior in certain situations.
I would never own a pit bull. If they go bad, there is no stopping them without using deadly force.
Any dog can bite. Pit bulls don't stop with just a bite when they attack.
There are some of natures animals that over match any humans physical ability to defend themselves against. A pit bull is one of them.
Pitbulls do have a combination of traits that make them one of, if not the most dangerous breeds when they are in full on attack mode. They were basically bred for fighting. Their stamina can sustain them well in a long attack, they have enourmous biting force, one of the few canine breeds that have the ability to bite clean through skin and muscle. They are fast and strong. Some pitbulls do get over 100 pounds. They have high pain tolerance and do have a "fight to the death" mentality when in full on attack mode. This means that while they are attacking, punching them, kicking them, gouging their eyes, or even in some cases stabbing them doesn't work very well.

Like all dogs in attack mode, they probably will not respond to commands even from their owners. Their body shape makes them nearly imposssible to grab to help someone if they are not collared. Not to mention grabbing them might get yourself attacked just the same.

They are not the only breed with these traits, but they are a rare combination of skilled dog fighting traits.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:32 PM

152 posts, read 365,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
Banning the breed won't do anything, the people that YOU don't want to have pitties will still have them, or they'll pick another common dog to teach to fight.. Boxers, labs, german shepherds, hell.. I've seen a lot of collies, heelers, and chihuahuas more aggressive than most pit bulls are.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/...ck-styles.html

There are dogs out there that can be just as aggressive as a pit CAN be, if they are not taken care of correctly. Pitties are high energy and need to be trained and paid lots of attention to at an early age. My boss' daughter had the sweetest little pit-girl and she never hurt a fly (okay, I may have seen her eat a few out of the air before, but still)

I have to laugh whenever pitbull defenders try to make the case that chihuahuas are more aggressive! It's not a matter of aggresiveness, its' a matter of danger to innocents. The bloody trail of broken children proves that pitbulls need to be removed from society!!!

The original point that you quoted still stands because pitbull defenders ALWAYS seem to say it's the owner's fault, not the breed's. Pitbull attacks do happen frequently. So it's not out of the question to conclude that bad owners are choosing to own pitbulls if you buy the line that it's the owners fault. -- I however, think it's a combination of the fact that the breed is inherently dangerous and it's that very danger that attracts low life people to own pitbulls. The results of that combination are all of the pitbull "mental snaps" and the bloodbaths that follow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: