Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 07:25 PM

3 posts, read 6,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tones View Post
Yes TibetanMastiffMom,

We've heard the "pitbulls aren't an actual breed" argument before. But the fact remains that when a ban is in place, attacks like the one that recently happened in La Vista decrease dramatically because even those who ignore the ban hide their "pits" away better so as not to get them taken away. The law could be written in such a way that any confiscated dog with "pitbull" characteristics could be evaluated by such predetermined characteristcs such as jaw to skull ratio, bite measurements, and temperment testing as such by an authority to determine if in fact the animal in question was in violation of the ban. Animals that were declared to be "pitbulls" could then be destroyed and the owners heavily fined as instructed by the new law.

Until such a law is in place children will be victimized by these monsters among us, and unlucky naive owners of these dogs will continue to be shocked when their beloved friend snaps into a pitbull attack frenzy and shreds one of their own family members.

So your saying that every dog that can be classified as a "pit bull" should be destroyed? My neighbors lab looks like a pit bull, people have mistaken her for one. So she should be destroyed just because she looks like a pit bull?

And not just "thugs" have pit bulls you know, I'm a girl, and I don't like to think of myself as a thug.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 07:30 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,635,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happygolucky View Post

YOu mean this..........

Oh. My. God.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:54 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,200,258 times
I won't deny that there is something different about the breed, but that is no reason to exterminate the breed or enact a ban against owners who have proven themselves responsible and have trained their pets.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:59 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,076,603 times
I have a good friend who is a big dog lover. He's always told me that "The first person to want a pitbull is usually the last person who should own one" and over the years I see just how right he is. They are "unique" animals as it is and not knowing how to deal with them is paramount.

A girl I know from high school just recently got herself a pitbull, and I'm literally counting down the days until it mauls one of the 3 people in her apartment. Not only is the dog already a rescue but she will leave it locked in her room for hours, doesn't exercise it like she should and tends to be too harsh when disciplining the dog. It's a ticking time bomb and she's completely oblivious to the problems and won't listen when you try to tell her.

My own experiences with pitbulls are not good either. I've nearly shot the same neighborhood pitbull twice now because it's moron owners let it run around unleashed and it comes in other people's yards with an aggressive demeanor.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:27 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,687,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
I have a good friend who is a big dog lover. He's always told me that "The first person to want a pitbull is usually the last person who should own one" and over the years I see just how right he is. They are "unique" animals as it is and not knowing how to deal with them is paramount.
Wow - you got that right!

Old 04-19-2010, 11:35 PM

152 posts, read 365,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TibetanMastiffMom View Post
So your saying that every dog that can be classified as a "pit bull" should be destroyed? My neighbors lab looks like a pit bull, people have mistaken her for one. So she should be destroyed just because she looks like a pit bull?

And not just "thugs" have pit bulls you know, I'm a girl, and I don't like to think of myself as a thug.
If we were fortunate enough to get a law in place for banning, and then determining if a suspected dog were in fact a pit-bull -then yes the dog in voilation of the ban should be destroyed. Of course such a law would have a vetting process based on several factors to be administered by a veteranarian or other professional so as not to confuse other breeds -- a lab would be easily distiguished from a pitbull by the teeth. Birddogs have what's called "soft mouth" -- rounded teeth so as not to destroy game in the field -- a pitbull however has sharp teeth - for ripping flesh. If your friends dog were infact a lab, the teeth would tell the real story.

You may not "think" of yourself as a thug, but if you own pitbulls, have piercings and/or tattoos, and skull stickers on the back window of your car then perhaps you should reevaluate your self-classification. (I don't know if the latter two apply to you personally, but they tend to go with pitbull ownership).

Old 04-19-2010, 11:42 PM

300 posts, read 1,179,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tones View Post
If we were fortunate enough to get a law in place for banning, and then determining if a suspected dog were in fact a pit-bull -then yes the dog in voilation of the ban should be destroyed. Of course such a law would have a vetting process based on several factors to be administered by a veteranarian or other professional so as not to confuse other breeds -- a lab would be easily distiguished from a pitbull by the teeth. Birddogs have what's called "soft mouth" -- rounded teeth so as not to destroy game in the field -- a pitbull however has sharp teeth - for ripping flesh. If your friends dog were infact a lab, the teeth would tell the real story.

You may not "think" of yourself as a thug, but if you own pitbulls, have piercings and/or tattoos, and skull stickers on the back window of your car then perhaps you should reevaluate your self-classification. (I don't know if the latter two apply to you personally, but they tend to go with pitbull ownership).
Excuse me but if your "classification" of "thug" is by what you listed above then you need your head examined.
*I* have piercings AND tattoos and I have a skull sticker on my back window - I do not own a pit bull BUT I have friends that have all three and let me assure you that I nor my friends are thugs.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:49 AM

152 posts, read 365,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerahrtlu View Post
Excuse me but if your "classification" of "thug" is by what you listed above then you need your head examined.
*I* have piercings AND tattoos and I have a skull sticker on my back window - I do not own a pit bull BUT I have friends that have all three and let me assure you that I nor my friends are thugs.
My apology to you and your tatooed, pierced, skull imagery adorned, and pitbull owning friend. My statement was not an absolute, I was just merely listing a few things that "may" be an indicator of such a lifestyle or the gravitation to said lifestyle.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:54 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,687,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerahrtlu View Post
If you and your friends aren't thugs, why are you trying so hard to look like thugs?

Old 04-20-2010, 08:40 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,619,669 times
I've also heard the argument that guns don't kill...but merely the people holding them. But there is a limit to the type of gun that I can buy (and/or carry) in a civilized society. Regardless of my intentions or past history, I simply would not be allowed to walk down the sidewalk carrying certain weapons.

Simply put, this particular type of dog has shown that WHEN it attacks it causes major damage. Would it not be common sense to put aside our "rights" to own such dogs in order to benefit the public as a whole?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: