Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 09:08 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,469,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
One word: Hobie
Yes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 01:13 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,166,395 times
If we're going to bump this up to the 60's:

The Duke standing on his lawn waving at the tourist boats going past. (If he was good and liquered up.)
Joey Bishop hiding from the tourist boats.
Swimming out to the whales at Newport Dunes.
Hot dogs (split open and grilled) and hot chocolate from the bait shack at the end of the pier.
The Duke yelling at Pilar that Robinson's was closing and the sales girls wanted to go home.
The Duke wandering the small electronics aisle at SavOn.
My dad sharing his lunches with a very broke Jose Feliciano out on the pier.
Trying to ram Ethan Wayne on the bumper cars.
The rich lady on the Peninsula who bought a brand new Olds 98 so her chauffeur could teach her how to drive.
Falling asleep on a raft in the middle of the bay and getting the worst sunburn of my life.
The ferry.
A car driving off the ferry into the brink every once in a while.
Summer rentals on Balboa Island and cramming in 30 friends.

Old 01-08-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
If we're going to bump this up to the 60's:

The Duke standing on his lawn waving at the tourist boats going past. (If he was good and liquered up.)
Joey Bishop hiding from the tourist boats.
Swimming out to the whales at Newport Dunes.
Hot dogs (split open and grilled) and hot chocolate from the bait shack at the end of the pier.
The Duke yelling at Pilar that Robinson's was closing and the sales girls wanted to go home.
The Duke wandering the small electronics aisle at SavOn.
My dad sharing his lunches with a very broke Jose Feliciano out on the pier.
Trying to ram Ethan Wayne on the bumper cars.
The rich lady on the Peninsula who bought a brand new Olds 98 so her chauffeur could teach her how to drive.
Falling asleep on a raft in the middle of the bay and getting the worst sunburn of my life.
The ferry.
A car driving off the ferry into the brink every once in a while.
Summer rentals on Balboa Island and cramming in 30 friends.
Bumping it back down, the Duke was a hoot and larger in life than on the screen but Andy Devine was special. What a gentleman and genuine nice guy! I lived on Lido Island and summer regulars were Roy Rogers, Dale Evans and their brood. They stayed in an apartment house owned by friends of ours (resident landlords) so I was included in some of the summer fun. Also extremely nice people.

Old 01-08-2011, 02:21 PM

Jingles!

He was one of my heros when I was a kid!!!

So nice to hear you say what a nice man he was. That's what I'd always heard.

Roy and Dale. Roy and Dale once came up to LaPalma Park in Anaheim (early 60's) and they signed autoraphs for every single kid there. Every single kid!! Including me. A two hour appearance turned into an hours long affair and not one of us went away disappointed. I still have my Roy Rogers and Dale Evans watches. I'll never part with them.

Good stuff, Curmudgeon!

BTW: In the 90's I used to talk with with a woman whose father was Harbormaster. I think in the late 50's. She used to tell stories about Bogie and Bacall that were especially entertaining. Did you meet them?

Old 01-08-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Jingles!

He was one of my heros when I was a kid!!!

So nice to hear you say what a nice man he was. That's what I'd always heard.

Roy and Dale. Roy and Dale once came up to LaPalma Park in Anaheim (early 60's) and they signed autoraphs for every single kid there. Every single kid!! Including me. A two hour appearance turned into an hours long affair and not one of us went away disappointed. I still have my Roy Rogers and Dale Evans watches. I'll never part with them.

Good stuff, Curmudgeon!

BTW: In the 90's I used to talk with with a woman whose father was Harbormaster. I think in the late 50's. She used to tell stories about Bogie and Bacall that were especially entertaining. Did you meet them?
Never met them or even recall seeing them but remember the Harbor Master. Met a bunch of other though. For instance, Jane Wyman (Ronald Reagan's first wife) was my next door neighbor for several years after they divorced. I met Ronnie years later when I provided military security and honors for him. He, too, was a nice guy.

But Jingles was tops. He'd come into the local store (Richard's Lido Market) to grocery shop and his first stop was at the deli/'snack counter to purchase a big bag of caramel corn. As he shopped he'd share it with any of us kids who were in the store at the time. John Wayne also shopped there and I served him many times andx used to deliver provisions to his boat, the Wild Goose. That was in the 60s.

Life was good in Orange County/Newport Beach back then! It was a great place to grow up.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:09 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
and my favorite was crossing the bridge and going to Balboa.

Nita

Old 01-09-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and my favorite was crossing the bridge and going to Balboa.

Nita
Ya didn't take the ferry?

Old 01-09-2011, 04:42 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
heck, my brain might be wine dead, I don't remember. All I know is it was a awesome time in my life...

Nita

Old 01-09-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I remember always paying a dime. (Well, in the 50's I wasn't paying it. My dad was. )

Anyone remember what the cost was back then? Was there a scale for cars - bikes - peds?

Old 01-12-2011, 04:45 PM

6 posts, read 20,530 times
I found some on internet most probably i will upload it for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County