Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 08:18 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,243,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Was he related to Gomer?
Denver Pyle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 10:39 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,931,898 times
I thought I was being subtle...

Old 08-26-2012, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I thought I was being subtle...
Yeah I should have gone with my other response that there were four brothers: Gomer, Goober, Ernie, and Denver.

Jim Neighbors and Denver did both appear on the Andy Griffith Show.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:40 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,387,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

Good memories from all. Now if they'd only replant the orange groves and put back the Paulo Drive-In Theater outside of Costa Mesa!
I was a regular there. Can't count the girl friends who went with me.

Mind you it isn't the number of them but well......

Old 08-29-2012, 10:06 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,298,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post
The Golden Bear was in Huntington Beach. It closed down when Main Street was renovated.
Actually the Golden Bear survived the renovation of Main Street. It was in that first building on Main St & PCH and it was on the top floor if I remember correctly. Not sure when it finally succummed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
The Crab Cooker is still there, thankfully. Ruben E. Lee's! Thanks for the reminder. And remember for awhile there was Woo Ben's? Maybe that was in the 1970's.
It was Wu Ben's, a play on Ruben's that was there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
My dad had his boat slipped right in front of the Berkshires in the early 60s and it was on Lido Isle next to the Elks Club as I recall. Denver Pyle had the slip next to ours and used to invite me over. He talked to me like I was his best buddy even though I was only 5. He was a really nice guy.
Denver was a great guy, I went to jr high and high school with his son. Denver was on the Doris Day show at that time and that always seemed odd to see himon TV at night.

And no one mentioned Buddy Ebsen? He let us use his dock on Balboa Island as the headquarters of the Balboa Island Yacht Club (a club for kids and teens).

Max Baer Jr (Jethro Bodine) lived here too and had a bar called Baer's Outpost.

No one mentioned Wil Wright's Ice Cream? How is that possible?

There is a great group on Facebook called "I lived in Newport Beach before it was 'The OC' ". Lots and lots of old pictures and memories.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
And no one mentioned Buddy Ebsen? He let us use his dock on Balboa Island as the headquarters of the Balboa Island Yacht Club (a club for kids and teens).
I went to his house once for a political fundraiser back when I consorted with Republicans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
No one mentioned Wil Wright's Ice Cream? How is that possible?
Nor "Don't cook tonight, call Chicken Delight".

Old 08-29-2012, 07:11 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,298,238 times
Oh and I forgot to mention having conversations with Barry Goldwater when he lived at the Balboa Bay Club during summer..... and Cagney Island.... the Ahmanson's house at the end of Harbor Island.... jumping off the Balboa Island bridge and making the Harbor Patrol chase us.... the cattle from the Irvine Ranch wandering on to the athletic fields at Harbor View Elementary before Margurite was completed... orange fights in the orange groves with the rottenest oranges you could find on the ground... miss the Snack Shops too, Coco's was never the same... the Jolly Roger.... the Zoo Drive-in with the gorilla and before that is was Merle's Drive-in.... When the Lido, Balboa and the Port were the only three theaters in town....

Old 09-01-2012, 06:10 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,627,203 times
I really liked reading this thread. It must have been a wonderful place to grow up !

Old 09-01-2012, 06:23 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,090,114 times
I remember 17th street from when I was a teenager (early 60's). Now that's my idea of a beach! Haven't been back in years to see the changes though. I don't remember any shops except the one just off the beach that rented those little rafts for bodysurfing.

Old 09-02-2012, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
I really liked reading this thread. It must have been a wonderful place to grow up !
In hindsight yes, but when you're there living it, you don't really appreciate it as you assume everyone else is doing the same or even better things somewhere else. Sometimes as a kid it felt like a sleepy backwater, to me at least, which is one reason I went away to college even though we had a perfectly good university nearby.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 09-02-2012 at 07:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County