Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 03:19 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,440,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrishawke View Post
It's a mixed bag. I saw some Trump Yard signs in the more affluent areas (even in Portland). They may be socially liberal but like conservative things like gun rights and lower taxes.
That's about right. I from Oregon to Ohio, a red state, but the two staunchest Trump supporters I know live in Portland. And they continue to support him.

As you say, most places tend to be a mixed bag. I think it's a bit foolish to move to any place thinking everyone is of like mind. What happens when someone moves to a city or town they believe is all of one type only to discover there is also something else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 10:38 AM

2,661 posts, read 3,857,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
As you say, most places tend to be a mixed bag. I think it's a bit foolish to move to any place thinking everyone is of like mind. What happens when someone moves to a city or town they believe is all of one type only to discover there is also something else?
Agree plus - who really cares??

I am a pretty staunch conservative minded person but would hate to live in a place surrounded by only people who thought like me.

Life would be boring.

I love the fact that by having lived near cities like Madison, Chicago and now Portland has given me a lot of entertainment from just watching the "whacky" folks try and do their thing.

Old 04-08-2017, 01:42 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,234,324 times
Newport and Astoria still have some remnants of the working class left, labor union dominated politics that they used to have. That kind of thing looks more conservative today than it would have in the past because what it means to be liberal/conservative has changed.

North Bend/Coos Bay and south reflect the more conservative politics of southern Oregon.

I'm not sure about Florence and the central coast... My sense is that it's split pretty evenly. The kinds of events and businesses that I've seen opening up in Florence indicate that there are a decent amount of liberals there.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:26 PM

14 posts, read 36,881 times
Even conservative parts of western Oregon are a little more complicated (I can't speak for the east end of the state -- do people even live over there??). I just moved to Roseburg from the East Coast. I am as liberal as they come and I actually expected Roseburg to be more conservative than it is. It is certainly Trump territory, but its not as straightforward conservative as you would think. Legalized pot is popular with pretty much everyone. There is a significant hippy and environmentalist subculture that lives out in the woods and plenty of educated liberal retirees who have settled in the area. Lots of Bernie bumper stickers. The number 2 employer in Douglas county is the Federal Government and most of my co-workers in the healthcare field are liberal. People tend to be (relatively) accepting of gay marriage and are generally moderate on social issues. People seem a little less overtly religious than other conservative places I have lived and it seems more live and let live. Its more of an economic conservatism against taxes, environmental regulations, and gun control. It votes red but I've found a surprising number of people who think like me. It seems that rural Oregon is like that. Conservative but complicated. I go to Coos Bay a lot for work and it seems very similar.

Old 04-21-2017, 01:20 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,707,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keitherb View Post
Even conservative parts of western Oregon are a little more complicated (I can't speak for the east end of the state -- do people even live over there??).
What kind of comment is that supposed to be?

Old 04-21-2017, 03:35 PM

958 posts, read 1,147,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregon911 View Post
Astoria might be the only town on Oregon Coast that's anything close to liberal.
Untrue. Lincoln city, newport, florence, manzanita, cannon beach... north bend, coos, bandon, gold beach, brookings not so much.

Old 04-22-2017, 08:32 PM

861 posts, read 1,062,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylar0201 View Post
I agree! Hillary Clinton might proclaim to be liberal, but just look at her voting record when she was in the Senate--first and foremost, a liberal would have never voted to invade Iraq. She is more of a centrist; which at one time several years ago, she said she was, as well.
She was always more liberal than Bill, starting way before she met him.

Last edited by wolfdog; 04-22-2017 at 09:36 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 04-22-2017, 08:39 PM

861 posts, read 1,062,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylar0201 View Post
Well, this is what happens when the media chooses the top 2 candidates for us, like any other year. Both Clinton and Trump got so much free air-time, neither of them would have needed campaigning if either of them didn't have the $ to do so.

Clinton's name and Trump's behavior was all the media needed to advertise each one of them far more freely than it has been in any recent election in the past. Instead, we get the most sensationalist candidates as the 2 top party choices to choose from.

As each of them wrapped up their nominations, the media began centering on how much they despised each other. Puhhhhllleeeassseeee. The Clintons have donated as much of their time and $ to the Trumps for about as much as Trump had funded the Clintons during Bill's presidential run, and Hillary's Senate run. All of the photos online of the Clinton's and the Trump's hanging out together are not by coincidence and not photo-shopped.
Aren't those the years Trump was a Dem?
He did business with both parties. He was networking.

Old 04-23-2017, 01:21 AM

780 posts, read 1,343,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdog View Post
She was always more liberal than Bill, starting way before she met him.
I disagree. She campaigned for Barry Goldwater ( an Arizona Republican ) in 1964, a year before she was the president of the Wellesley Young Republicans. She didn't meet Bill until 6 yrs later, and while Hillary was a republican for many years, Bill never has been.

I know Bill ran the country as a republican, but he wasn't that much more conservative than she was.

Old 04-23-2017, 01:26 AM

780 posts, read 1,343,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdog View Post
Aren't those the years Trump was a Dem?
He did business with both parties. He was networking.
No, Trump was a dem up through Reagan's first term and part of his 2nd term, and then when W Bush was in office. He was a member of the repub and then the reform party, during Clinton's terms.

You are right on one thing though. He was networking, and he goes where there's money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon