Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 01:46 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,890,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Well, for one thing, most folks aren't in a position to just be tossing $20 to very young children simply for the convenience factor.

TTF was often very busy and thus took more than one night to get to our house as well.
I didn't say I give $20 per tooth. Heck no. I'm just thinking why someone would be inclined to do that. All of my kids lost several teeth close together...they would be rollin in the dough pretty quickly.

My son lost his baby teeth very young and got his adult set in. He would have made a load of month before he knew what money was.

It's funny about the coins. 90% of the time the kids just through the coins the tooth fairy brings back into the family coin jar where it came from. Every once in a while we go to coin star and use the money for a movie or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 01:49 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,890,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
$20?? Wow.

The tooth fairy last visited our house about 6 years ago. The tooth fairy gave between $.50 and $.75, and very occasionally $1. My oldest son figured out the "pattern" to the money (something like $.50 for the first year or two, and then $.75...). I had no idea he was paying attention. I sure wasn't, and it was really random.

I got $.25 in the 70s, so I didn't raise that bar a lot

I had a friend in college who said the tooth fairy "gifted" with a box of ALL her teeth (set up in a way that it looked like a full mouth somehow, not sure if it was glued or the box was conducive to setting it up that way). That seemed really bizarre to me.
I knew a lady who kept all her kids baby teeth in a box on her nightstand. I am grossed out by teeth. I mean, no matter how well jr brushes they are still covered with plaque and bacteria. I don't want to touch them let alone save them

Old 11-22-2015, 01:50 PM

649 posts, read 570,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I remember getting a dime when I was a kid. That was the price of the ice cream cones at my school's cafeteria, so I was happy.

We paid $1.00 for the first tooth, $.25 after that. Small change for those baby teeth. The real money was what we paid for wisdom teeth removal. Too bad for the kids that all went to the oral surgeon.

It was never anything I felt rated competition among parents, that's for certain. As MacieMom said, just a cute tradition.
No kidding about the oral surgeon, I paid close to $3000 to have my daughter's wisdom teeth removed. Anyway, we paid $1 per tooth but that was back in the 90s. When my little one loses her teeth I'll probably give her $2 a tooth. I'm not giving a kid $20 unless it's a holiday or they do some hard labor for it.

Old 11-22-2015, 02:37 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,917,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
There's always that one kid's mom who ruins it for everyone.

$1 is the rate here, too.
Why would what someone else's mom does ruin it for everyone?

We've always done $2 or $3.

Old 11-22-2015, 03:32 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Why would what someone else's mom does ruin it for everyone?

We've always done $2 or $3.
Because we have to make up some story about why the TF brings that kid $20 and you only $1.

Old 11-22-2015, 03:57 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,478,553 times
I never got $$ from the tooth fairy. However, I've heard decades ago, it was a quarter. I guess due to inflation? However, if kids don't have enough $$, I'd just give them extra $$ on the side, celebrating the tooth coming out, rather than masquerading it with a tooth fairy.

Old 11-22-2015, 04:45 PM

789 posts, read 1,992,648 times
We give $10 for the first tooth and $5 for each tooth thereafter. BUT my kids get $20 per tooth that they lose at their grandparents house because I like to mess with my dad and he didn't dispute it when we said it, so now he's stuck.

I don't see any of this as "ruining it" for anyone else. That's like getting mad at another parent for giving their kids more expensive gifts from Santa. They clearly aren't doing it to affect anyone outside of their own family.

Old 11-22-2015, 05:22 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainLineMommy View Post
We give $10 for the first tooth and $5 for each tooth thereafter. BUT my kids get $20 per tooth that they lose at their grandparents house because I like to mess with my dad and he didn't dispute it when we said it, so now he's stuck.

I don't see any of this as "ruining it" for anyone else. That's like getting mad at another parent for giving their kids more expensive gifts from Santa. They clearly aren't doing it to affect anyone outside of their own family.
To me, $1 is a fun tradition. $20 is just unnecessary. What about a tooth falling out warrants a gift that large? I'd rather give them money for allowance and teach them how to save up.

Old 11-22-2015, 05:50 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,681,123 times
I use to get a quarter or a dollar back when I was kid. Twenty Dollars?! I missed out.

This thread actually reminded as I totally forgot about tooth fairies and that tradition of money.

Ah to be a kid again.

Old 11-22-2015, 05:50 PM

676 posts, read 726,321 times
sounds like the kids are unionizing to get a rate they can actually do something with. my son usually got $5
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting