Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 08:41 AM

16,611 posts, read 10,801,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
I did $5 for the very first tooth as it was new and special to lose the first, and $1 for each additional tooth. I did $0.50 once because the tooth was lost and only a note was left.

My niece got $10-20 per tooth and my daughter asked why she didn't get as much and I told her that she must be on a different route from our house, though she only lives a few miles away. She was fine with that answer.
That's what we've done too. One of my kid's friends was getting $5 per tooth and wondered why they weren't getting that much. I explained that there are actually many tooth fairies and they serve different routes, and I guess it was just the friend's good fortune to be served by a more generous fairy. (The one on our route does $5 for the first tooth and $1 for each additional.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 08:43 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,951,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
No one is forcing you to participate.
No, but the kids hear about it from their friends and then it's like "mommy, why doesn't the tooth fairy want my teeth?". Then I get to make up a lie or tell them there is no such thing so they go off and ruin someone else's tradition.

It's just easier to flush the tooth and throw some change in a cup. I still think it's a dumb tradition...kind of like elf on a shelf. Lol I got out of that one though. When they asked why we don't have one I told them that he watches EVERYthing you do and reports it to Santa. They decided that didn't want that snitch in our house.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:46 AM

16,611 posts, read 10,801,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Honestly, I wish the whole tooth fairy thing had gone away before I had my kids. It's just a tooth...it's not like they did something amazing for it. They don't seem afraid of losing them. It's not like it's some sort of huge milestone. It's a tooth falling out.
Do you give your kids presents for Christmas? If so, why? After all, it's not their birthday that's being celebrated, it's Jesus'. You should be delivering all those presents to your local church. Heck, for that matter, why give them presents for their own birthdays? You're the one who did all the work that day; they didn't do anything but get born. Maybe THEY should be giving YOU presents on that day!

Or, you could just relax and enjoy sharing in the simple pleasures of childhood.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:51 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,297,329 times
Quote:
No, but the kids hear about it from their friends and then it's like "mommy, why doesn't the tooth fairy want my teeth?". Then I get to make up a lie or tell them there is no such thing so they go off and ruin someone else's tradition.

It's just easier to flush the tooth and throw some change in a cup. I still think it's a dumb tradition...kind of like elf on a shelf. Lol I got out of that one though. When they asked why we don't have one I told them that he watches EVERYthing you do and reports it to Santa. They decided that didn't want that snitch in our house.
Yes, easier to go along with it. But Santa doesn't visit Jewish kids. Jehovah's witnesses don't celebrate anything. There are always exceptions even when "everyone" does it.

Old 11-23-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Do you give your kids presents for Christmas? If so, why? After all, it's not their birthday that's being celebrated, it's Jesus'. You should be delivering all those presents to your local church. Heck, for that matter, why give them presents for their own birthdays? You're the one who did all the work that day; they didn't do anything but get born. Maybe THEY should be giving YOU presents on that day!

Or, you could just relax and enjoy sharing in the simple pleasures of childhood.
Yawn. Whatever. I was just sharing I thought it was a silly tradition. Didn't mean for people to get butt hurt over it. If had the same convo in real life and they all laugh and agree. We are all tired at night and it's just one more thing.

Old 11-23-2015, 10:04 AM

49,926 posts, read 60,305,461 times
Quote:
Yawn. Whatever. I was just sharing I thought it was a silly tradition. Didn't mean for people to get butt hurt over it. If had the same convo in real life and they all laugh and agree. We are all tired at night and it's just one more thing.
I have found that this jaded feeling is part of being an older parent who's "been through it all before." My son who is 7 years younger than his brothers has the pleasure of being raised by parents who are super tired at night and forgot to get tooth fairy $$ AGAIN.

Yes, you've already raised older kids, but for your younger kids these silly traditions are new and exciting. If you help make them exciting.

Old 11-23-2015, 10:09 AM

14,576 posts, read 20,861,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzo0904 View Post
Why is the tooth fairy shelling out $20 per tooth? My kids get $2-3, which is still more than necessary. What is the deal with the tooth fairy these days?
Who left $20?

Old 11-23-2015, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I have found that this jaded feeling is part of being an older parent who's "been through it all before." My son who is 7 years younger than his brothers has the pleasure of being raised by parents who are super tired at night and forgot to get tooth fairy $$ AGAIN.

Yes, you've already raised older kids, but for your younger kids these silly traditions are new and exciting. If you help make them exciting.

They are pretty much over it too. They don't even keep the money. My older kids didn't think it was so exciting. I guess I liked it cause I would take my 50 cents and go to the store and buy a candy bar when I was a kid. Maybe if it was a toy they would be super excited.

Old 11-23-2015, 10:29 AM

49,926 posts, read 60,305,461 times
Quote:
They are pretty much over it too. They don't even keep the money. My older kids didn't think it was so exciting. I guess I liked it cause I would take my 50 cents and go to the store and buy a candy bar when I was a kid. Maybe if it was a toy they would be super excited.
Then it's time to change it up or give it up.

Old 11-23-2015, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Then it's time to change it up or give it up.
Too late now. Only one has any baby teeth left and even if she doesn't care, she would be heart broken. Then the older one would be pissed if his sister got a better deal then him. Hell, just like 16 more teeth to go.

I guess that's another reason, if you have one kid, it's not suck a big deal. But 4...plus a couple lost by fosters. It's just like...omg again? So maybe I'm jaded. I just want to go to bed, not sneak up at night after I am sure the kids have fallen to sleep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting