Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 04:16 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,426,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
These statements contradict each other. How could she have been outside for 45 minutes and not a single person had a phone, yet "everyone" has a phone?

Think about it... not everyone has a phone, and you need to do what you want to do, not what "everyone" else's parents are doing.
Sorry, but having a phone should almost be mandatory (and even if it's not a smartphone), in my opinion. If nothing else, for emergency purposes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2016, 04:18 PM

13,982 posts, read 26,052,511 times
NK, I'm not one to give in to crowd pressure, but your daughters are right in this case. You live in a very nice area, I'm certain "everybody" really does have a smart phone, at least at the age of 14.

Christmas is coming...

Old 12-19-2016, 04:31 PM

17,183 posts, read 23,026,248 times
At 14, they are in high school. Everything here is done on their phones, their tablets or their laptops. Many of her assignments are online. Her textbooks are also online.

My granddaughter finally got a smart phone this week. Basically everything band related is texted or emailed and she needs the phone for that. Her teachers also text the kids on the remind system about assignments and such.

She does not have to use the phone during school, but they do bring their own devices, so she often uses her iPad or her laptop for school.

It would be ok to have a non-smart phone, but it would set her apart from the other kids and she does not need that. She already had some social skills problems.

Also, since she is in band and stays late (no late bus) and needs someone to pick her up at different times, it is important for her to have a phone (it could be a flip phone, but you know how the kids would tease and bully her if she used one like that).

Old 12-19-2016, 04:40 PM

138 posts, read 174,392 times
My 16 year old has a flip phone, no smart phone.

Somehow, she has survived.

Old 12-19-2016, 04:59 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,930,243 times
My 14 year old has a smart phone. It's the pretty much the only way he makes plans with friends (group messaging). That alone makes it worth it to me.

Like any piece of technology, you need to set limits on what apps are downloaded, what happens if they go over the data plan/break the phone, will you require them to plug in the phones in the kitchen overnight, etc. But as those are mutually agreed upon, I don't see any compelling reason NOT to get them.

Old 12-19-2016, 05:05 PM

13,982 posts, read 26,052,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAIN5 View Post
My 16 year old has a flip phone, no smart phone.

Somehow, she has survived.
Is merely surviving the goal?

Every child may not need a smart phone. But I do know of areas in the country, and NK lives in one, where it is plausible that the vast majority of high schools students use them. When her daughters claim everybody has them, I believe them. And, they can be purchased(and used) at a reasonable cost.

Old 12-19-2016, 05:10 PM

138 posts, read 174,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Is merely surviving the goal?

Every child may not need a smart phone. But I do know of areas in the country, and NK lives in one, where it is plausible that the vast majority of high schools students use them. When her daughters claim everybody has them, I believe them. And, they can be purchased(and used) at a reasonable cost.
The OP has to do what is necessary and best for his/her family.

I will do what is necessary and best for mine. My kids have what they need and are doing extremely well in school.

Old 12-19-2016, 05:15 PM

15,096 posts, read 10,187,003 times
I'm holding as long as possible with smartphones because from what I can see they have also become a status symbol. If I had it my way, the kids would wear uniforms (but I know its not a popular opinion).

My kid currently has a flip phone. He does have an ipad and chromebook (used for school). If the purpose is communication with family and emergencies, I fail to see how a smartphone is considered a mandatory "tool"... cell phone yes... but a smartphone.. no.

Last edited by usayit; 12-19-2016 at 05:29 PM..

Old 12-19-2016, 05:19 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,240,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Hmmm, I'm 60 and don't have a smart phone.
This old man is fine with his flip phone.

Old 12-19-2016, 05:21 PM

30,701 posts, read 80,132,372 times
Our youngest complained incessantly from about 5th grade on. His siblings all had phones and it was just not fair.

He told us about the rich kids at school who would play a game throwing their Iphones against a wall in the hallway. If your phone broke, you were out. They kept going until the winner was the only one whose phone did nto break. Then they would all go home and tell mom "My phone broke, I need a new one"

Kinda made us less inclined to get him a phone.

He kept coming up with better and better reasons he needed a phone, he had to stay after shool and call for a ride if we forgot to come get him. He needed to contact friends about homework and our home phone was always tied up (he was the youngest of 5).

Finally we gave in about 7th grade and got him a phone. He played games on it constantly, texted uttely meaningless messages to people and giggles about it. He made about one phone call a year, if that. He may have snet a meaningful text twice as well "Can you come pick me up please?"

It was pretty stupid, but a least he never threw it against the wall.

Now at 16 he still never calls anyone. If I call him, he texts me back "Text me please" Even if he is not otherwise preoccupied, he prefers texting to talking. He mostly communicates with his friend over the internet, usually im some game format. Sometimes they do not even play much, just talk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting