Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 07:03 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,322,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
These statements contradict each other. How could she have been outside for 45 minutes and not a single person had a phone, yet "everyone" has a phone?
Interesting point. This particular child is EXTREMELY shy. I'm sure there were other kids with phones milling around but it would kill her to ask one to use their phone.

Here it is the end of December and she has not spoken to anybody at the bus stop since September. Only 4 kids but when I suggested she even say something like "I hope the bus isn't late this morning" or "I like your shoes" or " There's a snake in your hair" or anything (ok just kidding)...she rolls her eyes at me and says "Mother....nobody talks like that". She has a crush on the guy across the street and sometimes I catch her peeking at him playing basketball yet she won't even say Hi at the bus stop. The fact is they all stand there with their faces in screens. Nobody knows how to make small talk or just be pleasant to somebody in a line. I think that is sad.

Thank you friends for your comments. I knew this day was coming but I hoped to put it off a year or two more. DH is pretty much for it. He reminded me how much we wanted to fit in when we were in high school. For me (70 years old) it was Weejuns and Papagallo shoes and Villager blouses and for him (77) it was buck shoes (whatever that was). He mentioned something about carrying around bags of chalk!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2016, 07:09 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,254,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
That's exactly what I'm implying.

I agree.. the ability to communicate is important as a safety measure. However any basic phone is capable of making a call and sending out text. As for socialization, I don't believe socialization over apps has been a good thing. I am more than happy to take them to meet with friends. Certainly not something that is absolutely necessary in emergencies.

Recall... how many threads on the relationship forum are stemming from people's inability to communicate in person.
They aren't mutually exclusive. I'd venture that all three of my sons are MORE communicative and social because of their phones.

Sure, we can all drive them to meet their friends, but by the time you got there, the group would have changed the plan via a group text anyway.

As for the lying, I have always been a real hard-ass about certain things with my kids. I've been fortunate that they have never given us any MAJOR trouble. But I held hard lines on stuff like curfews, bedtimes, food, shows and music that a lot of their friends parents' did not necessarily hold.

One day when I was grilling one son about his plans for the night, being all suspicious and skeptical, he told me that I did not give him enough credit for how good he actually was. That stung, but it was true. I would think that it would be more damaging for a kid to think his parents really didn't trust him.

Old 12-19-2016, 07:11 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,254,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I knew this day was coming but I hoped to put it off a year or two more.
Lots of things seem to come at us parents before we are ready!

You are a thoughtful mom, and you'll teach them well.

Old 12-19-2016, 07:13 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,312,686 times
I have a flip phone and would have zero problems with getting a smart phone for the girls.

There is nothing wrong with fitting in. That age is hard enough. There's no sense in making it harder.

Old 12-19-2016, 07:13 PM

13,982 posts, read 26,052,511 times
Quote:

My 10 year old is already begging me to play on my phone when we are out as a family. I told him to bring a book to read instead.. even animated novels and manga.

btw.. There are cheaper plans for basic phone service than the ones you linked. We have a tracfone one for $10 with double minutes and text. I'm currently looking into another service that's cheaper but their customer service sucks so I'm having second thoughts.
There is a big difference between the phone needs of a 10 year old and a teenager in high school! C'mon.

Old 12-19-2016, 07:16 PM

6,887 posts, read 7,947,711 times
Your deadline of 16 is arbitrary and capricious. You can limit their data to limit their screen time.

I have a $30 smart phone.

Your kids need smart phones to keep up. You're being too controlling.

Old 12-19-2016, 07:16 PM

15,096 posts, read 10,187,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
They aren't mutually exclusive. I'd venture that all three of my sons are MORE communicative and social because of their phones. .
If the teachers needed it to run their class, it would be on the materials list at the beginning of the year. If for emergencies, a flip phone is fine for voice and text.

As for socialization, sure.. its up to you as a parent. I certainly don't think it is a good thing.

So yeh.. I think they are exclusive purposes. One doesn't form the basis for the other.

Old 12-19-2016, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
There is a big difference between the phone needs of a 10 year old and a teenager in high school! C'mon.
Explain. What needs are necessary for a H.S. that is exclusive to that age group?

There lots of people in all ages that cannot afford a smart phone. Its not like I am keeping them off of the internet completely, we have it at home and everyone has their tablets.

Old 12-19-2016, 07:31 PM

13,982 posts, read 26,052,511 times
Quote:
Explain. What needs are necessary for a H.S. that is exclusive to that age group?

There lots of people in all ages that cannot afford a smart phone. Its not like I am keeping them off of the internet completely, we have it at home and everyone has their tablets.
By high school my kids were handling all their own scheduling needs. They had jobs, played sports, and went to school. Their phone calendars let them keep on top of all of it. They had their homework assignments on them, and could do some work on bus rides or other down times away from home.

Their phones rarely rang, everything was communicated via text, and it's still that way. And now they use Google maps when they travel because they find them to be more up-to-date than the GPS units they have.

Old 12-19-2016, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
By high school my kids were handling all their own scheduling needs. They had jobs, played sports, and went to school. Their phone calendars let them keep on top of all of it. They had their homework assignments on them, and could do some work on bus rides or other down times away from home.

Their phones rarely rang, everything was communicated via text, and it's still that way. And now they use Google maps when they travel because they find them to be more up-to-date than the GPS units they have.
None of that is a need. Remember, kids did all that just fine prior to smartphones. Part of time management that is a skill to be learned. I do understand that we can no longer depend on payphones for emergencies. However, Basic phones are capable of text and voice. I could understand GPS and maps when they drive but that's no until they are almost 18 (senior in H.S.). By then, I fully expect them to contribute to the cost of it. The last thing I want is a new driver trying to work their smartphone while driving.

As I said, we have hotspot when away from home.

I think we have a odd sense of "need" these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting