Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2023, 10:56 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times

Advertisements

Yes, being a wife and mother is indeed a honorable profession. Many have chosen this path, and good for them.

However, at 31, the OP's daughter has likely missed that window of opportunity. Moreover, she has stated she doesn't want this. Not sure why people keep bringing it up.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 12-12-2023 at 11:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2023, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Years ago, I looked into working as a massage therapist on cruise ships. What I learned persuaded me to drop the idea.

You work 12 hours a day, the pay is low, the living conditions are tight. You likely will be treated better working in fast food or at a grocery store.

It's true that you're on a vessel that is moving around on the high seas, but that's about the extent of it. It's noisy, cramped, and you can't get away. No one who has tried it, or has looked into it, would recommend it as a nice career. Ridiculous.

And now let's talk about being a flight attendant, an idea that has been casually tossed about in this discussion. If one actually talks to flight attendants, it's not a fun career, not in this day and age. The passengers are horrific to deal with, and the employers are not kind. You're working in a cramped metal tube for hours a day, serving spoiled whiny people who would not hesitate to complain about you and get you fired for the slightest thing, usually their own fault. You have to deal with people trying to break the rules, carry on over-sized luggage, people drinking too much, annoying their fellow passengers. It is a zoo, a flying circus act. Every FA I've talked with says it's no longer a fun job. Avoid. Avoid. Avoid.
I know several FA, though they love the travel perks, they all say that the job has gotten a lot more stressful than it used to be.

Old 12-12-2023, 11:05 AM

If she intends to be self supporting, she needs a career not a series of service industry jobs.

Perhaps she could support herself as a waitress, bartender, or blackjack dealer in Las Vegas, and if she is able to get her foot in the door at an upscale restaurant or bar where she lives, she would likely be able to support herself in any major city.

Other than that, it's community college to get a start on a career such as respiratory therapist or ??? or the military. There simply aren't a lot of other attractive options available.

Old 12-12-2023, 11:22 AM

7,320 posts, read 4,115,298 times
I think the OP wanted to focus on what she could do for her daughter today.

She wants a realistic way forward now.

Her daughter could apply to a community college today. She could sign up for one or two courses now.

By March 2024, she could decide to take more community college course.

She could finish all her required AA courses over the next year.

In a year, she could begin to focus on a major which leads to a career.

By May 2025, she might have completed her AA degree and begin a career or decide to continue on for a BS/BA.

Unless the OP can arrange a marriage for her daughter today, it is not a realistic option under her control.

Old 12-12-2023, 02:48 PM

24,476 posts, read 10,804,014 times
The daughter does not want to go to school. She is apparently not interested in marriage.
If service is her niche - work on the service industry. Especially large chains offer a lot of employment options past the server.

Old 12-12-2023, 03:26 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Yes, being a wife and mother is indeed a honorable profession. Many have chosen this path, and good for them.

However, at 31, the OP's daughter has likely missed that window of opportunity. Moreover, she has stated she doesn't want this. Not sure why people keep bringing it up.
31 isn't exactly old and decrepit.

I didn't get married until I was 33 and became a mom for the first time at 34. I had my second at 36. I know plenty of women who had babies older than me.

Obviously, she would need to meet a guy that she wanted to marry first and if she ain't looking or interested, that is unlikely to happen.

Old 12-12-2023, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post

I didn't get married until I was 33 and became a mom for the first time at 34. I had my second at 36. I know plenty of women who had babies older than me.

Obviously, she would need to meet a guy that she wanted to marry first and if she ain't looking or interested, that is unlikely to happen.
Here we go again.

Good for you for getting married at 33 and having your first child shortly thereafter.

However, the OP's daughter does not want to pursue this path to financial security. If she did, she would have had a better shot at locking down a Sugar Daddy in her twenties.

Now, can we move on to options that might be realistic for her?

Old 12-12-2023, 05:09 PM

814 posts, read 580,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brennans2323 View Post
I know you're not looking for advice, but the one thing that may help her the most is to see a counselor. At her age she should have an idea as to what she wants to do or at the very least an idea as to how she wants her life to be. It's possible she has some depression, which in turn destroys her motivation to try or do anything. She may also have ADHD, but they can test for that over the course of about a month or so and she can get a definitive answer.
That is great advice, seeing a counselor.

I took a career test years ago, with an eye toward entering the corporate world and setting it on fire. I was working on my MBA (didn't finish - hated it).

Test results showed I was suited to working with young children. That seemed like a bunch a bunk to me... kids? Young ones? Bah!

Life took over, years passed and whaddya know? I wound up as a kindergarten teacher and loved every minute of it; best job I ever had.

It might be fun for her to take it. She might find some direction. Good luck to you and your family!

Old 12-12-2023, 05:10 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Here we go again.

Good for you for getting married at 33 and having your first child shortly thereafter.

However, the OP's daughter does not want to pursue this path to financial security. If she did, she would have had a better shot at locking down a Sugar Daddy in her twenties.

Now, can we move on to options that might be realistic for her?
The Op's daughter doesn't seem to know what she wants. She's at a crossroads and needs time to sort things out. Who knows where she'll be in a few years. It's amazing how much life can change in that amount of time.

Obviously, the first thing on the agenda would be to get a job. It doesn't have to be her forever job but she needs to find something more than the PT server gig that she's already landed on the weekends.

It does sound like she's actively job hunting which is good. With her interests, if she were my kid, I'd tell her to look into being a flight attendant. But, actually, I already suggested that upthread come to think of it....

Old 12-12-2023, 07:17 PM

422 posts, read 265,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post

This is all true. I know lots of mamas that had a baby at 40 or later.

However, it wouldn’t be beneficial to try to push this daughter to marry and have kids. She also has been firm on not wanting to go to school, so I’d be less inclined to push that path too much.

There are shorter paths to a career. Since she’s into looking good, she could consider being a hairdresser or aesthetician. Med spas are pretty popular places these days. Plus, she’d appreciate the discounts and free services in that industry.

Some other jobs that pay fairly decently w/o a college degree are residential real estate agents and court reporting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting