Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2022, 02:24 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,273,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Yes.. exactly in that people are different but that's part of my point. Just as waves of people in the post WW 2 period have made climate-centric moves away from the cold (made possible & practical by the spread of ac), as the climate warms for whatever combination of reasons, there is now a growing number of people who feel the opposite and want to move to avoid the growing level of extreme heat.

I am 67 and am among those who have reversed what I want to tolerate in terms of cold or heat. As such, if I relocate away from the Southeast, it will be due to the heat factor which I absolutely despise. My step mother's first ever decision in her 36 years in Phoenix to get out of there for this early summer mirrors that.
Everything is air conditioned where I live too of course but while early June where I live was marvelous, as of last Sunday, it's turned into Hades here!
While you may have moved away from a warm climate to a cooler climate, you are incorrect when you say there's a growing trend of people doing that. In fact, movement to the sunbelt states has increased over the past couple years. There will always be those that move back to colder areas, but they remain the minority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2022, 02:41 PM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
I live in SW Florida and our heat index today is between 105-110 degrees. The humidity is awful for a minimum of 5-6 months. I've always thought a dry heat would be more comfortable but after spending a few minutes in the sauna this week, I'm not so sure about that. :-)

Old 06-15-2022, 02:41 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,729,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singlegirlinaz View Post
I know, another topic about summer temperature and heat but I'm just curious. Let's not concentrate on how nice the winters are and our beautiful fall and spring because it's summer now.

Forget the many sorts of ways to cool off. Let's say you don't have access to a swimming pool or misters or your car isn't air-conditioned, I want to know who honestly and truly likes being outdoors when it's between 100-120?

If you work outdoors how do you deal with the extreme temperatures?

Another thing I'm curious about is are there any reverse snowbirds who take summer vacays in the Phoenix valley or anywhere else in the Arizona desert because they prefer dry heat?
Don't understand the infatuation with warm/hot weather on this site. The Phoenix valley basically took off in population growth when AC became main stream, it's almost like asking someone in Pittsburgh how they feel about winter without heat, they don't everyone has heat. Who doesn't have AC in 2022 in Phoenix? I know there are some and god bless them but it's a pretty low percent of the population not just here but most of the country as well.

So how do we deal with the temps above 100? We stay inside, we swim, go to the river, go to the lake. The same stuff everyone else does in every other city in the country where it's hot in the summer. I was in central Texas last week and guess what it was over 100 every day... it's hot in a lot of places.

Last edited by locolife; 06-15-2022 at 03:03 PM..

Old 06-15-2022, 03:04 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,729,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I live in SW Florida and our heat index today is between 105-110 degrees. The humidity is awful for a minimum of 5-6 months. I've always thought a dry heat would be more comfortable but after spending a few minutes in the sauna this week, I'm not so sure about that. :-)

You mean Phoenix isn't the only hot city in the US?

Old 06-15-2022, 04:00 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,721,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post
I'm not surprised there are so many here that dislike the heat. I don't blame them but I'm not one of them. I enjoy the things the byproducts of the hot weather. I'm 62. Not a spring chicken by any stretch. One thing I always saw older people do was sit around and complain about things. Sit around getting old, sit around and watch TV. I watched my parents get old very quickly. I vowed I wouldn't do that. So I try and stay as active as possible. I have jet skis.... fast ones. They'll do my age. Ha. I have a bass boat and a boat up on Lake Powell. I have a convertible and a motorcycle. If you ask me, there is nothing more pleasant than jet skiing on Canyon Lake in the middle of the week when it's 110 or better. My friends and I have been out on skis on Canyon Lake when it's 118 and it was heavenly. Blazing hot temps with water in the mid 80s. We go at least once a week for most of the year, most often twice a week. Once on the weekends because one in our group still works 9 to 5, and then once during the week so we can be out on the lake without all the crowds. I look forward to it every day.
I love Lake Powell in the spring, summer and fall. Lake Powell. Middle of the high desert. Hot and dry for the most part. Most beautiful place on earth if you ask me. Just amazing. Google " The Grand Circle".
There are times that even I get a little burnt out on the heat so I'm easily able to get a reprieve of sorts. I love hopping in the convertible and taking a ride up to Strawberry for lunch. Or maybe a day trip to Summerhaven on Mr. Lemon. Often times I'll take a drive up to Globe for lunch or dinner. If I really want to cool down, I'll take a motorcycle ride up to Alpine via Lakeside. Beautiful ride thru the Salt River Canyon. Gorgeous.
Direct sun exposure is tough on anyone when it's blazing hot but the early mornings and late evenings are outstanding when your in the right place. That could be by the pool or camping by a body of water. It could be taking a drive in the convertible or it could be outdoor dining or a myriad of other possibilities.
You'll notice that I have said that I like the byproducts of what the heat brings. I didn't say that I specifically like the heat. While I sometimes have to work outside, I honestly don't relish working in the heat..... although I prefer it to working in the rain, wind and cold in my previous life in the coastal PNW. It's not that I like the heat specifically, I like what the heat does. Warms my pool. The lakes are warm and inviting. Blue skies, bright sunny days and outdoor activities.
I love the life that I've had the pleasure of building here in the desert. I've shared my love of the desert with family and friends and so far, anyone that has visited, has ended up moving here. It's a GREAT place to live if you love and respect nature. So far, none of my friends and family have seen fit to move anywhere else.
I love what the heat brings. Specially in the spring and fall. I love the year 'round weather here, even the heat because of what it brings with it.
I lived in the PNW for 25 years. The town that I lived in averaged 119 inches of rain per year. Do you know what fun things you can do in the rain? NOTHING. Nothing is fun in the rain. Not when it's 45 degrees and blowing 30. Don't get me wrong, I loved the PNW. The western half of Oregon is carpeted with spectacular lush green forests, beautiful lakes abound, hikes that would blow your mind...... but I absolutely hated that much rain and wind. I hated being cold all the time with no way to get relief. If I wanted to get out of the cold of the PNW, it was a big deal. I had to take a vacation to someplace warm and sunny............ like here, or perhaps Vegas or Southern Cal to visit family. I had to invest a lot of time and money to get any relief from the weather. Here in the desert, to get a break from the heat all I have to do is take a short drive to cooler climates or simple jump in the pool. Instant gratification and it didn't cost me a dime.
I like that.
Thank you. I think I needed to hear this as I struggle more with the extreme heat each summer. Nice to hear a positive perspective on it.

Old 06-15-2022, 04:02 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,721,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
A sauna is more reflective of where you are, the heat out here lacks moisture and is better compared to an oven. Pick your poison.

Old 06-15-2022, 09:44 PM

979 posts, read 538,618 times
The only thing I enjoy about Phoenix summers is that I don't have to experience them anymore.

Old 06-15-2022, 11:09 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times
Quote:
I'm not surprised there are so many here that dislike the heat. I don't blame them but I'm not one of them. I enjoy the things the byproducts of the hot weather. I'm 62. Not a spring chicken by any stretch. One thing I always saw older people do was sit around and complain about things. Sit around getting old, sit around and watch TV. I watched my parents get old very quickly. I vowed I wouldn't do that. So I try and stay as active as possible.
You generally have a positive attitude, which is great. I agree that sitting inside & being inactive is no way to live. I love the great outdoors & staying active, but there are so many cooler & more scenic places to visit in the western U.S. during the summer months. I save my vacation allotments for June, July, and August, and that's when I do my traveling to escape the Phoenix heat. If I stayed here all summer, I'd be miserable.

Quote:
I love Lake Powell in the spring, summer and fall. Lake Powell. Middle of the high desert. Hot and dry for the most part. Most beautiful place on earth if you ask me. Just amazing. Google " The Grand Circle".
https://www.azcentral.com/in-depth/n...ll/9228093002/

Read the report about Lake Powell and how the long term drought has caused a serious decline of the water levels. It's not only critical to the water supply, but it's affecting boating, fishing, and hydroelectric power.

Quote:
I lived in the PNW for 25 years. The town that I lived in averaged 119 inches of rain per year. Do you know what fun things you can do in the rain? NOTHING. Nothing is fun in the rain. Not when it's 45 degrees and blowing 30.
That would be difficult to deal with, but any kind of weather which is prolonged with no real breaks can be very monotonous ... regardless if it's rain, snow, cold, heat, or consistently dry. For me, a few days of 110+ would be a novelty, but that's where it ends. When it's practically all summer, it gets on my nerves. Also, keep in mind that while all the rain in the Pacific NW may not be pleasant, it creates more long term benefits than our sunny, hot & dry climate. After all, we all like water (and need it to survive).

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
While you may have moved away from a warm climate to a cooler climate, you are incorrect when you say there's a growing trend of people doing that. In fact, movement to the sunbelt states has increased over the past couple years. There will always be those that move back to colder areas, but they remain the minority.
The question is: how long will sunbelt migration continue, especially considering the current water situation? Much of the western U.S. is in a serious drought, and CAP cutbacks are imminent. So if climate change is a reality, and we don't get busy & find other sources (desalinization), fast growing cities like Phoenix & Vegas could become less desirable. People generally want to live where it's warmer, but they also need to be assured of adequate water supplies.

Old 06-16-2022, 10:01 AM

369 posts, read 268,738 times
Default That's not what I asked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Don't understand the infatuation with warm/hot weather on this site. The Phoenix valley basically took off in population growth when AC became main stream, it's almost like asking someone in Pittsburgh how they feel about winter without heat, they don't everyone has heat. Who doesn't have AC in 2022 in Phoenix? I know there are some and god bless them but it's a pretty low percent of the population not just here but most of the country as well.

So how do we deal with the temps above 100? We stay inside, we swim, go to the river, go to the lake. The same stuff everyone else does in every other city in the country where it's hot in the summer. I was in central Texas last week and guess what it was over 100 every day... it's hot in a lot of places.
I said what about people who don't have access to a pool, and l know it's hard to fathom in 2022 but some people's cars aren't air-conditioned.

How do people who work outdoors cope? They have a job to do and can't just run off to a pool or lake to cool off.

I sometimes wonder why street crews don't work at night when it's cooler and traffic is lighter. Doing manual labor 8 hours in the hot sun can't be easy on a body.

Old 06-16-2022, 10:29 AM

13,689 posts, read 7,973,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singlegirlinaz View Post
I said what about people who don't have access to a pool, and l know it's hard to fathom in 2022 but some people's cars aren't air-conditioned.

How do people who work outdoors cope? They have a job to do and can't just run off to a pool or lake to cool off.

I sometimes wonder why street crews don't work at night when it's cooler and traffic is lighter. Doing manual labor 8 hours in the hot sun can't be easy on a body.

When I was living overseas (Tokyo) street repairs, construction ect. were made at night. This is because traffic is congested throughout the day.

Traffic in the Phx metro is heavy during rush hour but as you mention the summer months must brutal for those working mid-day on a freeway or a city street.

Can't understand why such work isn't done between 7 pm and 5 am. My guess is most workers prefer the way it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area