Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2022, 09:02 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
When I was living overseas (Tokyo) street repairs, construction ect. were made at night. This is because traffic is congested throughout the day.

Traffic in the Phx metro is heavy during rush hour but as you mention the summer months must brutal for those working mid-day on a freeway or a city street.

Can't understand why such work isn't done between 7 pm and 5 am. My guess is most workers prefer the way it is.
It would be nice if the bulk of street construction/repairs could be done at night for convenience reasons, and I have seen some crews working after sunset. There's one big reason why it's not very common here: the expense. Employees who work later at night are required to be paid a shift differential, which amounts to their base salary plus an extra percentage. Many employers (and government agencies) dislike this requirement, so that's why most work is still done on an 8 to 5 type of schedule, despite the heavier traffic & higher temperatures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2022, 03:18 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,729,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singlegirlinaz View Post
I said what about people who don't have access to a pool, and l know it's hard to fathom in 2022 but some people's cars aren't air-conditioned.

How do people who work outdoors cope? They have a job to do and can't just run off to a pool or lake to cool off.

I sometimes wonder why street crews don't work at night when it's cooler and traffic is lighter. Doing manual labor 8 hours in the hot sun can't be easy on a body.
Yes, some cars have broken AC but it's been around since the 1950s and has been in basically a standard offer since the early 80s, so basically 40 years. The average age of a car on the road in this country is 12 years, so it's not very common to not have AC.

As far as I know, most people that work outdoors in the summer have early shifts and cooling breaks when we have excessive heat in place, I have a friend who does this and if it's over a certain temp their teams take 15 minute cooling breaks every hour, hydrate, and have cool spaces available for the staff (such as a car, or temporary building). It would be a lot like working in very cold weather in the North, you dress right, you take breaks as-needed, proper safety training is in place, when it gets extreme the time outside is of course limited...

Think about it another way, an outdoor worker in Phoenix is is likely to work a 4am-12noon shift during which they're going to experience temperatures of 80-104 degrees on a typical summer day like today when the high is 110 or so. That means during most of the shift they're working in <100 degree weather and only the last hour it peaks above that. Not ideal but most of the shift is less than 30 degrees above an ideal temperature of 75 degrees.

Now flip that to a place like Chicago in January, highs of 20s-30s are common with windchill's easily dropping that 20 degrees or more. Now you're about 55-75 degrees below an ideal 75 degree temperature. And night time/early morning work just means it's colder.

This is exactly why I stay active year-round in Phoenix far better than I did in a cold weather place when I lived in the Northeast. Windchill, freezing rain, snow, ice storms on top of extreme cold temperatures only make things harder. I feel for anyone that works outside anywhere... it's not easy, even in a place like San Diego I think getting hit by sunshine all summer probably takes a toll.

Old 06-17-2022, 08:19 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Think about it another way, an outdoor worker in Phoenix is is likely to work a 4am-12noon shift during which they're going to experience temperatures of 80-104 degrees on a typical summer day like today when the high is 110 or so. That means during most of the shift they're working in <100 degree weather and only the last hour it peaks above that. Not ideal but most of the shift is less than 30 degrees above an ideal temperature of 75 degrees.

I feel for anyone that works outside anywhere... it's not easy, even in a place like San Diego I think getting hit by sunshine all summer probably takes a toll.
San Diego and Phoenix have similar weather from about November through March, but the rest of the year is quite the opposite. San Diego has the marine effect, which causes the "June gloom", and it's the predominant reason why their afternoon temperatures barely climb out of the 70s. Their sunshine is filtered, so it's not that intense, blazing sun like we get during June & the rest of the summer. This is why Phoenix is easily 30+ degrees hotter than the coastal regions of southern CA this time of the year.

So yes, being out in the direct sunlight certainly takes a toll during the summer ... much more so in Phoenix than in San Diego. Since this June so far is hotter than normal (once again) with overnight lows barely dipping below 90, the temperature rises rapidly after sunrise, and the time between 9 AM and noon is easily in the 100s & actually one of the worst times to be outside. Coincidentally, the outdoor temperature can often be just as high (or higher) during the "twilight" period compared to the morning hours ... however, it's not as devastating due to the reduced sunlight. The sun's intensity makes a huge difference!

I wish there wasn't the requirement of extra shift pay for night workers. That's an unfair burden to businesses & government agencies. Otherwise, I'm sure there would be a stronger push to do street construction & repairs later in the evening when there is less traffic, and the heat & sun aren't a factor.

Old 06-18-2022, 06:23 PM

74 posts, read 58,694 times
To the OP, no one

Old 06-19-2022, 11:41 AM

4 posts, read 2,600 times
I am from Washington state and every summer my wife and I would vacation down here in the desert to get a little heat. We moved here when I retired and still enjoy the summer heat, its like always being on vacation. Granted, being out in the direct sun all day can be a little much, but almost every afternoon we sit outside on a covered patio and chill. I am fortunate enough to have a swimming pool so, that does make a big difference I am sure. We are taking a trip north to see family in a week or two and I am going to miss Arizona.

Old 06-19-2022, 11:54 AM

13,689 posts, read 7,973,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmiller151 View Post
I am from Washington state and every summer my wife and I would vacation down here in the desert to get a little heat. We moved here when I retired and still enjoy the summer heat, its like always being on vacation. Granted, being out in the direct sun all day can be a little much, but almost every afternoon we sit outside on a covered patio and chill. I am fortunate enough to have a swimming pool so, that does make a big difference I am sure. We are taking a trip north to see family in a week or two and I am going to miss Arizona.

For me it certainly does. 110 outside and I jump into my pool.

I swim for a bit and feel refreshed when I get out.

Old 06-20-2022, 06:51 AM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
Ya know, Yuma is every bit as hot as PHX, and the only time I found the heat unbearable, was when I needed (one time is all it took) to ride my motorcycle in July. But I will say, I was retired at the time, so my outdoor work was restricted to caring for our "out in the country" home and 1/2 acre lot full of trees and grass. I'd happily trade this oppressive VA humidity for 105 degrees and <20% humidity.

Old 06-21-2022, 10:48 PM

979 posts, read 538,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
Ya know, Yuma is every bit as hot as PHX, and the only time I found the heat unbearable, was when I needed (one time is all it took) to ride my motorcycle in July. But I will say, I was retired at the time, so my outdoor work was restricted to caring for our "out in the country" home and 1/2 acre lot full of trees and grass. I'd happily trade this oppressive VA humidity for 105 degrees and <20% humidity.
But would you trade it for 120 degrees and <20% humidity? Because Yuma'ns will be "enjoying" days like that in the coming weeks.

Old 06-22-2022, 07:59 AM

7,167 posts, read 9,216,704 times
You do not have to enjoy the heat or the cold to enjoy life.

Sunrises

Sunsets

Flowers

Critters

Old 06-22-2022, 09:26 AM

39,075 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS414 View Post
But would you trade it for 120 degrees and <20% humidity? Because Yuma'ns will be "enjoying" days like that in the coming weeks.
Not only that but Yuma gets some serious humidity with dewpoints well into the 70s throughout the summer (gulf surges). Phoenix rarely gets that high unless it is after a storm and the air is relatively cooler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area