Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2022, 09:39 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,872,333 times

Advertisements

With the invention of The Air Conditioner,Fans and also Swimming Pools it makes life in places like Phoenix possible...As hot as it does get during the Summer in Phoenix,I would take a Phoenix Summer over the Humid Summers of Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2022, 10:15 AM

369 posts, read 268,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiaguy2007 View Post
With the invention of The Air Conditioner,Fans and also Swimming Pools it makes life in places like Phoenix possible...As hot as it does get during the Summer in Phoenix,I would take a Phoenix Summer over the Humid Summers of Texas.
On the same thoughts about swimming pools and air-conditioning, those things exist in Texas and they make life a little easier there too.

We can say the same about Florida, Georgia or anywhere else with hot summers. Life is better with pools, misters and air-conditioning.

Old 06-22-2022, 02:33 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,044,643 times
There are some that love the summers here. Not many, I expect, but they do exist. A former co-worker of my wife retired here. She absolutely loves the heat. Always had a down jacket on at work (hospital setting).

Old 06-23-2022, 12:24 AM

979 posts, read 538,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Not only that but Yuma gets some serious humidity with dewpoints well into the 70s throughout the summer (gulf surges). Phoenix rarely gets that high unless it is after a storm and the air is relatively cooler.
And it seemingly never ever ever rains there. Ok, it does rain of course but rarely, even less then Phoenix. The humidity comes from the river I think.

Old 06-23-2022, 09:11 AM

491 posts, read 393,701 times
Wife and I have been here nearly 2 weeks now visiting our son and family. My wife has only been here in Dec 2020 so has never experienced the heat. I spent a lot of time working at YPG in Yuma before retiring so I knew what to expect. What makes the heat here at times a little much is the non stop traffic lights. We're in Chandler. Car AC starts to cool down the car and you catch yet another red light. But we come from VA and while we have some nice days mixed into our summers we experience a lot of humidity. With 90 degrees and humidity you start sweating in mere seconds. I spent at least 20-25 minutes the other day vacuuming out my F-150 using my sons shop vac and I was in the sun. While I got a little hot and a little sweaty it was nothing compared to the east coast and as soon as I finished I dried off quickly. One big advantage here compared to more humid areas. My area got racked with storms yesterday in VA with high winds, hail and lightning. Many trees down and power outages. So sometimes the seemingly non stop sun can be advantageous. We did spend last week in Overgaard and there it rained one day and had a little lightning and thunder come with it.

Old 06-23-2022, 09:38 AM

13,689 posts, read 7,973,244 times
I've mentioned this before but the weather really helps my arthritis. I also have a 15k gallon pool which I'll be using regularly (I'm semi-retired) over the next few months.

Recently my sister give my wife and I a one-year pass to the Desert Botanical Garden in Phx. We went last Friday around noon but you really don't want to be walking around outside regardless how pretty the vegetation. The next time we'll go after the sun goes down.

Red mountain park not far from where I live comes alive after 7 pm. during the summer. The basketball, volley ball and pickle ball courts are busy.

This is my fourth summer in AZ and the intense heat isn't something I enjoy but I can live with it.

What my wife and I don't like are freezing winters.

Old 06-23-2022, 10:45 PM

13,238 posts, read 7,286,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryfreak View Post
Wife and I have been here nearly 2 weeks now visiting our son and family. My wife has only been here in Dec 2020 so has never experienced the heat. I spent a lot of time working at YPG in Yuma before retiring so I knew what to expect. What makes the heat here at times a little much is the non stop traffic lights. We're in Chandler. Car AC starts to cool down the car and you catch yet another red light. But we come from VA and while we have some nice days mixed into our summers we experience a lot of humidity. With 90 degrees and humidity you start sweating in mere seconds. I spent at least 20-25 minutes the other day vacuuming out my F-150 using my sons shop vac and I was in the sun. While I got a little hot and a little sweaty it was nothing compared to the east coast and as soon as I finished I dried off quickly. One big advantage here compared to more humid areas. My area got racked with storms yesterday in VA with high winds, hail and lightning. Many trees down and power outages. So sometimes the seemingly non stop sun can be advantageous. We did spend last week in Overgaard and there it rained one day and had a little lightning and thunder come with it.
May-June isn't really bad very low humidity. When July - august hits humidity goes up temps can spike to 112-113 without rain. It won't be so easy to stay cool I have done it before I overhauled a boat engine once in my garage trying to get it ready for a big family outing at the lake. It was a 200 HP mercury outboard sucked a metal reed seized up 2 cylinders. I bought one of those big 20" fans on a platform on high can't even hear with my shirt off that much wind on my skin actually felt cool it's very odd feel cool in 112F heat. Human skin is amazing at cooling they say a human can out run a dog because the dog in very hot days the dog doesn't have the same cooling capacity as human skin does. Not sure of that is true but I do know when our dog starts panting a lot outside I put her inside I keep working outside. I had the engine running in 10 days we were able to use the boat. Sold it after that was done with owning boats we rent now.

Old 06-24-2022, 01:01 AM

894 posts, read 2,201,102 times
Honestly, I used to love it when I was a kid. Then when I became an adult, the city grew to be a concrete wasteland, and even at 5AM the air temperature is almost 90°. Couldn't work in it anymore. Then trying to get yard work done, or enjoy a day off was still exhausting work.

Old 06-24-2022, 06:07 AM

6,091 posts, read 3,330,622 times
I used to think Arizona was a bargain. Sure, it was extremely hot, but at least the cost of living was relatively low. To me that was fair.

Let me give you an example. I had a 2500 sq foot house, 5 bedrooms, built in 2014 in the Phoenix area. Brand new home, reputable builder, cost 286,000.

That same house today is 549,000.

I don’t own that home anymore, I took a job outside the US and sold it a few years back.

But my point is why would anyone want to pay all that money to move to the Phoenix area? I can’t justify living year round in Phoenix for those prices with that kind of heat.

Now if you are Mega-rich and can live in Phoenix Oct-May, with another home somewhere else in a much cooler climate from Jun-Sep, then Phoenix makes perfect sense.

But to live year round? That’s ridiculous. Way too expensive , way too hot.

Old 06-24-2022, 07:17 AM

491 posts, read 393,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
May-June isn't really bad very low humidity. When July - august hits humidity goes up temps can spike to 112-113 without rain. It won't be so easy to stay cool I have done it before I overhauled a boat engine once in my garage trying to get it ready for a big family outing at the lake. It was a 200 HP mercury outboard sucked a metal reed seized up 2 cylinders. I bought one of those big 20" fans on a platform on high can't even hear with my shirt off that much wind on my skin actually felt cool it's very odd feel cool in 112F heat. Human skin is amazing at cooling they say a human can out run a dog because the dog in very hot days the dog doesn't have the same cooling capacity as human skin does. Not sure of that is true but I do know when our dog starts panting a lot outside I put her inside I keep working outside. I had the engine running in 10 days we were able to use the boat. Sold it after that was done with owning boats we rent now.
In my time in AZ both for personal and work I've never felt humidity as it compares to Virginia and many other states back east and south. For AZ the humidity may seem high but I've never experienced it here and I've worked/visited in every month of the year. We experienced humidity in Overgaard last weekend at 42% I believe. Even that was nothing in comparison to back home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area