Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 05:56 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,556,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clear2land View Post
Post your favorite picture of Portland here.. Just pictures only on this thread.

Ok, everyone, I have quoted the original post that started this thread. We want this to only be for pictures of and around Portland. NO MORE POSTING of comments, ok? I will leave the past ones up because they were so nice and encouraging to other posters, but from now on, please only post pictures or the posts will be deleted as off topic.

And with that note, those that come on here about their wonderful vacations here in Portland, PLEASE POST PICTURES!! We would love to see your wonderful experience! Thanks for eveyone else for adding their own pictures!!!

I think we need to see pictures of all sorts of weather too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2008, 02:10 PM

595 posts, read 2,742,322 times
OK I'll post some of my pictures from when I was there last August... when it was nice out.

These aren't all that great, my better ones are posted on the 'Pictures of Oregon' thread.

A pic from the Rose Gardens

Another view from the Rose Gardens

Skyline viewed from south of the marina

This is looking toward South Waterfront (right) from our hotel room at the Marriott
Attached Thumbnails
Welcome to the Portland Forum -- Photos Only-oregon-vacation-07-002.jpg   Welcome to the Portland Forum -- Photos Only-oregon-vacation-07-003.jpg   Welcome to the Portland Forum -- Photos Only-oregon-vacation-07-007.jpg   Welcome to the Portland Forum -- Photos Only-oregon-vacation-07-014.jpg  

Old 04-20-2008, 02:34 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,691,071 times
Default Spring Colors & PNW Beauty

Ok,

Have any of you Portland forum participants gotten out to see the Springs colors (eg - flowers, Cherry Blossoms, etc...) yet? With all this talk about being cranky, the economy, gangs, etc... I think it is time to take a look at the beauty of Portland as well. While I do not live in Portland 'yet' I have been enjoying the posts from my fellow nature lovers in that area.

It seems like Portland and the PNW is an excellent place for outdoor nature lovers. But the focus here has been so much on the other 'stuff' that we lose track of the beauty of a place and why people actually enjoy living there.

Here is a beautiful recent shot taken by PNW nature photographer Cezar Mart of the Wooden Shoe Farm, Woodburn, Oregon.

Pacific Northwest Nature Photographer's forum is really one of my favorite places to go for inspiration. However there are a lot of helpful and friendly folks here who have given me great advice regarding housing, etc... in and around Portland. So I am not trying to bash anyone as we need to be realistic about the livability of a place. But it is good to talk about the good or best parts as well.

Old 04-20-2008, 05:13 PM

1,217 posts, read 4,032,874 times
Sorry, MtnSurfer, haven't you heard? All it does is rain day and night for nine months of the year here. It's always dark and gray, sheer hell on earth. There is no beauty here.

At least that's what the malcontents charge.

Old 04-20-2008, 06:25 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,691,071 times
It may just be that the folks who enjoy Portland the most are out actually enjoying it. But it is still good to hear from them on occasion to balance things out a bit here.

There is always something to complain about no matter where you live. So is your glass half empty or half full in Portland? If all one can think about is the negative then maybe it isn't the best place to live for that person. But c' mon you can't deny the beauty around you, even if there are clouds/rain.

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 04-20-2008 at 06:34 PM..

Old 04-20-2008, 06:45 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,046,149 times
We've got blossoms and blooming galore out my way! Even w/the crazy wild weather...it SNOWED!!! yesterday!! WTH!??! But today, my kids have been out playing in the yard, having a great old time! long sleeved shirts yes, but no jackets. And I have the prettiest little purple flowers blooming all over my yard! LOVE EM! My lilac has some beautiful blooms on it and they smell so darn good! The rose bushes are budding out like mad, i think its gonna be a fruitful spring!
Tiffany

Old 04-20-2008, 07:42 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
time to be heading here too
Portland Parks & Recreation :: Crystal Springs Rhododendron Garden

The west gorge is very pretty with a zillion shades of spring green

but I will join the Mal-contents... (as I sit INSIDE and watch the hail / rain / snow ruin my afternoon plans of mowing field, spraying fungicide on crops, cutting firewood).

I'm a prairie and Colorado Mtn kid and hate this weather with a passion, give me a tumbleweed rather than rubber boots (mine started leaking today anyway).

It's an individual thing & really depends on the person & their required activities, but I will practice my 'tolerance' and let each to his own. And allow a forum as a place to post their OPINIONS

I don't like working in the rain and mud, and have built several homes out here, as well as tended my berry and fruit farms. Recently been helping an 'underground excavator' so being "immersed" in mud everyday doesn't do much for me... maybe if I had an office / indoor job and something less than a farm to maintain (and a car that didn't leak...) the weather would be more digestible Imagine being able to do something 'recreational' on the few nice days, instead of hurrying to get your week's 'dry' projects done on the few days w/o rain...

I tend to think everyone has a relevant point, and if someone thinks rain / dark might be a problem (whether they have SAD or just plain 'prefer sun'), then they have the right to know / express... I don't have anything to hide, and PNW doesn't have the corner on the market for nice places to live...

Old 04-20-2008, 09:31 PM

I dont think MntSurfer was trying to keep anyone from expressing themselves, or their opinions, I believe he was just trying to get a positive thread here going, especially since there are several where people are able to post all about how unhappy they are here, or w/the weather....

Sigh...it really really would have been so very nice to have just one...a single one thread on here, where people could just come on and post about/read about some of the lovely things Portland, and Oregon in general, have to offer.
We didnt even get a single page w/o people jumping in on the negatives... Thats so disappointing.....sigh...
Thanks so much for trying though MntSurfer...it was a lovely try!

btw, I will say again, it was so nice here today...we spent a lot of time outside, as did some of our neighbors....and when coming out of the store today, the air was so clear and fresh...smelled so darn good, I had to take a minute to stand there and be so happy Im lucky enough to live here and enjoy it all as I do.
Tiffany

Old 04-20-2008, 09:40 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,556,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffela74 View Post
We've got blossoms and blooming galore out my way! Even w/the crazy wild weather...it SNOWED!!! yesterday!! WTH!??! But today, my kids have been out playing in the yard, having a great old time! long sleeved shirts yes, but no jackets. And I have the prettiest little purple flowers blooming all over my yard! LOVE EM! My lilac has some beautiful blooms on it and they smell so darn good! The rose bushes are budding out like mad, i think its gonna be a fruitful spring!
Tiffany
Tiffany, you should post some pictures if you have a digital camera! I would love to see your yard!

Old 04-20-2008, 10:18 PM

awww. i would if i could! However, Im quite hopeless w/the darn thing. I can take pics all day long, but when it comes down to downloading them or whatever....im lost...
HOWEVER............. I picked up a cheapo disposable camera...i took a bunch of pics along the coastline from Florence-SealRocks and was going to see if I sent it to anyone, if they wanted to take it down and get a disk and put the pics up, theyre welcome to em. I was going to finish out the roll on our way to Bend next week, IllinoisBoy had requested some pics of that area....
Im so excited as the weather warms up!! Oregon in bloom is a real gift from GOD!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland