Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 11:59 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,530,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The thought came to mind specifically based on the spelling. Maybe get her a nice little "88" tattoo, too, for her christening.
I understand the misconception about the name but what is the 88 tattoo all about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 01:16 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
I understand the misconception about the name but what is the 88 tattoo all about?
An "88" tattoo is sometimes worn by white supremacists/neo-Nazis.

H is the 8th letter of the alphabet -- 88 = HH = Heil Hitler.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,863 times
I'm pregnant myself and also been looking at names that are maybe a little unique but not too off the wall...some names I've come across are: for a boy I like the name Isreal(I only know 1 person named Isreal) andi also like the name Gavin for a boy.....for a girl I like the name Braelynn, I also like Brylee and I like the name Novalee as a middle name because its different and sounds so pretty I'm just not sure what I would use as a first name for that one...I'm having the hardest time with the boy names. When I lived down south I heard very many unusual names like Chase Mountain,Skyler River,Osiah,Stetson,Levi,Aubry Sky

Old 03-20-2013, 08:35 PM

2,465 posts, read 2,759,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaycox View Post
I'm pregnant myself and also been looking at names that are maybe a little unique but not too off the wall...some names I've come across are: for a boy I like the name Isreal(I only know 1 person named Isreal) andi also like the name Gavin for a boy.....for a girl I like the name Braelynn, I also like Brylee and I like the name Novalee as a middle name because its different and sounds so pretty I'm just not sure what I would use as a first name for that one...I'm having the hardest time with the boy names. When I lived down south I heard very many unusual names like Chase Mountain,Skyler River,Osiah,Stetson,Levi,Aubry Sky
You may want to spellcheck Israel.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:18 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,504,336 times
Ebenezer for a boy! I bet you won't find any other kid out there named Ebenezer

Old 03-26-2013, 12:05 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaycox View Post
Novalee sounds pleasantly old-fashioned and rather Southern to me. It looks and sounds nice paired with very classic names: Anna Novalee, Mary Novalee, Novalee Jane. Watch the number of syllables in any name you combine with Novalee - it sounds best with names of only one or two syllables, with two in front or one in the middle.

If you name your daughter Brylee, keep her away from the Nashville area or she'll be teased for being named for a highway: the Briley Parkway.

Rather than use the cheesy-trendy Mountain, Sky, River, etc., stick with established classic surnames of geographic origin: Craig, Rivers, Hill, Meade, Meadows, Dale, Brook, Blair, Banks, Fields, Woods, Forest, and so on. You can broaden this by looking for additional Celtic versions or perhaps French or German names which carry geographic/natural world meanings.

There are three such surnames in my own family, all of which derive from different kinds of trees: chestnut, oak, and yew. None of these three names are Chestnut, Oak, or Yew, however! (apparently my ancestors lived in the woods). But you could use Chestnut as a surname or middle name, along with Oakley ("oak valley") or Eubanks (banks where yews grow). None of these examples are my actual family names, either. Chestnut is not a good first name, for obvious reasons.

Ask your older family members about family surnames you might use, if this appeals to you. I always prefer to see actual historic family names passed along rather than surnames names which are not part of a family's history. Most families have very interesting and attractive surnames in their family trees - why not use them?

Israel, Levi and Gavin are okay. Be prepared for questions about religious significance if you name your son Israel, however.

Stetson is a hat. Way too trendy to make a good name, unless you have a nice big friendly dog. Just please don't saddle a child with it, unless it's also an actual family surname.

Good luck finding the perfect name(s)!

Old 03-26-2013, 04:07 PM

10 posts, read 18,746 times
shea, and cora are pretty

Old 03-27-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinluv View Post
shea, and cora are pretty
Shea sounds okay, but then there's shea butter....and resulting teasing. Cora is nice.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:34 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think "Aryana" is the only unique name here. The others are fairly common, at least well-known by most people, although I'm assuming "Emory" is a girl because you probably wouldn't give a boy the middle name of "June". That's still an ongoing trend, I guess--switching a boy's name to a girl's name.
Even Aryana isn't *that* unique, although the spelling is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Sometimes substituting a "y" for an "i" makes a name seem more feminine or more graceful. I previously noted that I had an early 19th century relative named "Ariania" - no neo-Nazism there. Her middle name was that of an Old Testament heroine.

I also know a similarly-named young Illyana - who has no eastern European ancestry whatsoever, as far as I know - her parents just liked the name.

I cannot speak for any other poster, but judging from the other entries in this thread, doubt very much if "Aryan" has much to do with "Aryana". Hope not, anyway...
"Illiana" is the colloquial name for the area of Chicago and its Indiana suburbs. That's what I think of when I hear that name, and I think anyone who has ever spent much time there would have that same first impression.

Illiana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-30-2013, 08:56 PM

Is the geographic "Illiana" pronounced "Illy-Anna", or "Illy-Ahna"? My young friend's name is pronounced the second (Russian) way...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy