Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2022, 01:19 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,570,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Personally, I don't want to be working while I have kids in college. So, in my eyes (as a younger father), my cutoff would be mid-40s - which would put the kid's starting college around retirement age at the latest.

I totally understand why a lot of ppl would feel this way^^….money can be a big deciding factor for any age. For my husband, it’s lifestyle. He is super comfortable with where our lives are now & thinks it could be harder to adapt to the changes that would come with a baby now that he is in his 40’s even tho he has said he always thought he would be a dad eventually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2022, 04:28 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
I totally understand why a lot of ppl would feel this way^^….money can be a big deciding factor for any age. For my husband, it’s lifestyle. He is super comfortable with where our lives are now & thinks it could be harder to adapt to the changes that would come with a baby now that he is in his 40’s even tho he has said he always thought he would be a dad eventually.
Money is something to consider but I wouldn't assume that's why the poster you were talking to was worried about money since he didn't say that or imply it. But it IS something else to consider.

For instance, will your husband feel comfortable using funds that he'd rather use for retirement to fund someone's college?

Old 01-24-2022, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Personally, I don't want to be working while I have kids in college. So, in my eyes (as a younger father), my cutoff would be mid-40s - which would put the kid's starting college around retirement age at the latest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Money is something to consider but I wouldn't assume that's why the poster you were talking to was worried about money since he didn't say that or imply it. But it IS something else to consider.

Ok…he made it sound like a kid in college at his retirement age would put him in a situation of having to stay working while his kids are in college. So…why else would it be an issue? Why would he say that he doesn’t want to be working when his kids are in college…if it’s not about money?

Quote:
For instance, will your husband feel comfortable using funds that he'd rather use for retirement to fund someone's college?

Tho money is not any issue for us. It’s the lifestyle changes we have to think about. I explained it in that same post.^^

Quote:
For my husband, it’s lifestyle. He is super comfortable with where our lives are now & thinks it could be harder to adapt to the changes that would come with a baby now that he is in his 40’s even tho he has said he always thought he would be a dad eventually.

Old 01-24-2022, 05:04 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,588,476 times
Respectfully, I don’t think I made it sound like that. We’ll have our kids college well past funded by my retirement.

When I retire, we’ll be on the road in full time vacation mode. Kids still in the house would prohibit that.

Old 01-24-2022, 05:14 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
But a kid in college wouldn’t keep you from being on the road or retired. It’s not like you have to go to college with them. So…why did you say you don’t want to be working when your kid is in college?
I was confused by that post, as well. And, just saying...not every child goes away to college, no matter how much the parents may want them to.

Old 01-24-2022, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I was confused by that post, as well. And, just saying...not every child goes away to college, no matter how much the parents may want them to.

Tho I didn’t say that his kids had to go away to college….but that poster said he didn’t want to be working while he had kids in college. He said college! IMO it’s because you need the money or why stay working at retirement age if he didn’t want to? Makes no sense to me. But….it only matters that 1200RT & his partner had children when they wanted ofc. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old 01-24-2022, 06:26 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,588,476 times
Quote:
Tho I didn’t say that his kids had to go away to college….but that poster said he didn’t want to be working while he had kids in college. He said college! IMO it’s because you need the money or why stay working at retirement age if he didn’t want to? Makes no sense to me. But….it only matters that 1200RT & his partner had children when they wanted ofc. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
For us, psychologically, it allows us to take a deep breath knowing kids are on their own. Granted, knowing myself, its highly unlikely I'll stop working, but rather transition to part time consulting or boards. My wife doesnt work outside the home, so the point is, when the kids are gone for college, we want to be free to additional responsibilities.

Old 01-24-2022, 06:42 PM

Quote:
For us, psychologically, it allows us to take a deep breath knowing kids are on their own.

Ok…thank you. That makes more sense than saying you don’t want to have to work at retirement when they are in college if money is not an issue for you. Best wishes to you & your partner.

Old 01-25-2022, 06:23 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Ok…thank you. That makes more sense than saying you don’t want to have to work at retirement when they are in college if money is not an issue for you. Best wishes to you & your partner.

Sorry but I still don't get why what the poster said (I got it) had anything to do with money.

Old 01-25-2022, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Sorry but I still don't get why what the poster said (I got it) had anything to do with money.

The poster said his cutoff was in the mid 40s because he doesn’t want to have to work when his kids are in college. So he is happy he is a younger dad. It’s personal ofc & I interpreted it differently than you…so?

edit: Tho are you in the thread to keep talking about what he might have meant ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ or to say what your personal cutoff would be…(if you had one)…or share about your own pregnancy & the age of the dad.

Last edited by TashaPosh; 01-25-2022 at 08:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy