Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2022, 09:07 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
ITA it’s “no one else’s business”…if they don’t want to share their opinion on it. Who is Tony Randall tho? Because age is something 2 ppl have to think about IMO when planning a pregnancy….(too young or too old)…because planning for the child’s future is a super big part of that.

AND…I don’t think it needs to be hidden either. Because IMO it’s just a normal biological thing that a man can be in his 40’s & have the luxury of not thinking about a clock. It takes 2 ppl to get pregnant….planned or not.

edit: BUT I thought this would be a forum where there are a lot of pregnant women happy to talk about it…or share their experiences if their partner is an older man. Thank you. Or I could be thinking it’s more common than it is. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Tony Randall was a famous and well-liked actor, best known for his role of Felix Unger on the popular TV show, The Odd Couple.

Quote:
Personal life

Randall was married to his high school sweetheart Florence Gibbs from 1938 until her death from cancer on April 18, 1992. The following year, he said, "I wish I believed I'd see my parents again, see my wife again. But I know it's not going to happen." At the age of 75, he married 25-year-old Heather Harlan, an intern at one of his theatrical programs, on November 17, 1995. They lived in a Manhattan apartment and bought a vacation apartment in Key Biscayne, Florida in 2003. The couple had two children—Julia, born on April 11, 1997, and Jefferson, born on June 15, 1998—and remained married until Randall's death in May 2004.

In his book Which Reminds Me, Randall maintained that any publicity that an actor generates should be about his work, not himself: "The public knows only one thing about me: I don't smoke."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Randall

Old 01-25-2022, 09:14 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,584,857 times
^^Thank you MQ! I thought you were talking about a poster in some extreme older man & younger woman thread!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2022, 07:32 AM

9,143 posts, read 6,196,866 times
As has been mentioned previously, many times it's a lifestyle choice. But don't discount the risk factors, which although not alarming, should be considered on an individual basis.

"A recent study of more than 40.5 million births in the United States revealed potentially harmful effects of advanced paternal age on a baby’s risk of prematurity, low birth weight, low Apgar score and risk of seizures, as well as the mother’s chances of developing gestational diabetes.

The study, published in BMJ and directed by Dr. Michael L. Eisenberg, a urologist and head of male reproductive medicine and surgery at Stanford University School of Medicine, concluded that “more than 12 percent of births to fathers aged 45 years or older with adverse outcomes might have been prevented were the fathers younger. As the fathers’ ages rose, their babies were more likely to need help with breathing and require admission to the neonatal intensive care unit.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/25/w...r-fathers.html

"Infants born to men aged 45 and over also scored lower on the Apgar newborn health test, and were 18% more likely to have seizures compared with infants born to fathers aged 25 to 34 years, according to the study in the British Medical Journal. For women, the risk of gestational diabetes was greater when they had children with older men."

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...medical-issues

Old 01-27-2022, 08:30 AM

^^Lillie…you’re really taking your time & doing your research about your opinion!!! So mid 40s would be your personal cutoff?

Tho you also have to think about the age of the mother, her weight & overall health AND the age & overall health of the dad. Weight, inactivity, high blood pressure, cardiac disease or a parent with type 2 diabetes are all risk factors for gestational diabetes. I’m not at risk. With older dads, you have to remember a lot of times the mom is older too AND one or both of them is unhealthy.

Tho my husband & I are both healthy & fit, so that’s not something I’d worry about while he was in his 40s but I respect it’s your opinion for you. What’s the oldest you think a woman should have a baby? It’s well known that the older the woman, the higher risk.

edit: If my husband & I ever decide to have a baby, I would want to do it before I’m 35 & before he is 50.

Last edited by TashaPosh; 01-27-2022 at 09:58 AM..

Old 05-01-2023, 08:58 AM

Quote:

edit: If my husband & I ever decide to have a baby, I would want to do it before I’m 35 & before he is 50.
Here we are a little over a year later…AND, I’m pregnant! We made it well before the “deadline”. My husband is in his mid 40s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
"Infants born to men aged 45 and over also scored lower on the Apgar newborn health test, and were 18% more likely to have seizures compared with infants born to fathers aged 25 to 34 years, according to the study in the British Medical Journal. For women, the risk of gestational diabetes was greater when they had children with older men."
The Apgar score is not a predictor of future health anyway, but there is a super big difference between a man who is 45 & one who is 65. They are all in the same category for this type of study tho. AND….most older men have babies with older women so, that is a part of it too ofc. An older woman’s ovaries age but a man continues to produce sperm, but the production starts to decrease….so that makes a difference, especially if both are healthy. But with a healthy younger woman & a healthy man in his 40s, there is really no risk outside of the usual stuff for any pregnant woman or baby.

Oh, and….there are several risk factors for gestational diabetes & the age of the father is not one of them, tho an older woman with an older man might be more likely to be inactive & overweight. That’s the risk factor.

Last edited by TashaPosh; 05-01-2023 at 09:17 AM..

Old 05-01-2023, 09:06 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
A male can get a woman pregnant well into their 70s, though not as easily as when younger. More important to me is the age at which the child will be out of the nest. At age 70 the father will be close to 90 when the kid goes off to college, and not that many men make it to 90. I was 35 when our youngest was born, but he was 35 when his first was born. I wouldn't suggest fathering a child after about age 45.

Old 12-15-2023, 07:32 AM

116 posts, read 36,723 times
I became a father at the age of 19. Which was after my Sophomore Year in College. My late first wife gave birth to our eldest daughter.

We ended up having three daughters. I am about to approach the age of 34.

Old 12-16-2023, 11:56 AM

83 posts, read 68,113 times
Quote:
In another forum where I started a discussion thread about planning pregnancy…(in the age of covid), somebody brought up the point of my husband’s age as a reason not to plan pregnancy at all. He is older than me…(he is in his 40s)…BUT I never thought about that as being too old for a man. Matter of fact, I thought it was kind of common because even women are having their 1st pregnancy later & later…some into their late 30’s & early 40’s. I’m just over 30.

Like a lot of ppl say, men biologically have the luxury of time on their side tho. So what’s the “cutoff” in your opinion? AND…anybody in the forum who is pregnant or maybe planning a pregnancy with an older man?

Unfortunately, the biological clock is also ticking for men. According to statistics, 40% of cases where a woman cannot get pregnant are attributed to female issues, 40% to male issues, and 20% to issues within the couple. Men aspiring to become fathers should undergo fertility tests and take supplements to prepare their bodies for this significant role

Old 12-19-2023, 01:54 PM

3,925 posts, read 6,840,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WidowedBuckeyeDad90 View Post
I became a father at the age of 19. Which was after my Sophomore Year in College. My late first wife gave birth to our eldest daughter.

We ended up having three daughters. I am about to approach the age of 34.
Dang dude. 34 and already widowed with 3 kids? Sorry to hear that.

I can't imagine losing my wife and mother to my two kiddos. Life is cruel like that sometimes though. Hope you're doing well now.

Old 12-19-2023, 03:13 PM

2,282 posts, read 3,081,120 times
I was almost 37 when my daughter was born (wife was 27). I'm 46 now, wife just turned 37 and daughter is 9. My wife and I thought about having another in the last couple years. We actually tried for a little over 6 months and decided if it was meant to be it would happen. It didn't, and I ended up getting a vasectomy earlier this year. Even as it is I guess I'm a little but of an "older dad", but many of my daughter's dads (and even moms) are in their 40s. No big deal these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy