Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2024, 10:04 AM

22,590 posts, read 47,660,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
I get that, but to have a playoff game on a channel that you have to buy equipment to watch is, to me, not exactly a fans-first approach.
Fans, schmans... they got $110 million. $$ in the hand speaks louder than fans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2024, 10:36 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Yep, many fans, like me, can't afford the NFL network and they show a few games exclusively on there.

Old 01-16-2024, 04:27 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
Get a roku and you can run any streaming apps from there

I was in a Walmart a few years ago and they had a Chromecast thingy on special for IIRC $25, I can send anything on the laptop to my TV, works great for watching things on YouTube. If it streams well on the laptop it also does so on the TV.

Old 01-16-2024, 04:29 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post

But didn't they get it from their parent company NBC? If so did the $$$ really change hands or was it some kind of accounting trick?

Old 01-16-2024, 04:40 PM

22,590 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
But didn't they get it from their parent company NBC? If so did the $$$ really change hands or was it some kind of accounting trick?
NBC is not the NFL's parent company.

Old 01-16-2024, 04:48 PM

3,429 posts, read 1,563,849 times
Numbers are out for Cowboys/Packers and Lions/Rams game at 40 million and 43 million viewers respectively. So far the game on Peacock had the least amount of viewers and was completely blown away by the two games above.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sportsn...23-number/amp/

Old 01-17-2024, 06:26 AM

3,963 posts, read 2,350,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
Numbers are out for Cowboys/Packers and Lions/Rams game at 40 million and 43 million viewers respectively. So far the game on Peacock had the least amount of viewers and was completely blown away by the two games above.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sportsn...23-number/amp/
Not surprised by those numbers. I am sure many people had the sentiment of "No way am I paying for this." That includes myself. However, this is the process of weening and conditioning viewers to ante up. You can't stop it. You can only contain it.

Old 01-17-2024, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
Not surprised by those numbers. I am sure many people had the sentiment of "No way am I paying for this." That includes myself. However, this is the process of weening and conditioning viewers to ante up. You can't stop it. You can only contain it.
Stopping it is simple. Don't subscribe to it if you want it to go away. The game will undoubtedly be the least watched of all the wildcard games. If that trend continues that should relate to less advertising revenue (unless of course sponsors would rather advertise to a game with a viewership of 23 million versus 40 million). Adding on to that paying a premium of $110 million on a flailing network that has lost $2.8 billion and has less subscribers than the other streaming services and I guess we'll see how deep those pockets are at NBC and how long they are willing to take a loss

Old 01-17-2024, 08:42 AM

768 posts, read 859,390 times
At some point due to companies desiring to get out of the cable television business, everything you watch will be streamed via your internet connection. The regular channels ABC, CBS, NBC are subtle in handing people and their viewing propensities over to the streaming channels they own. Peacock, Paramount Plus, Hulu, Fubo, etc, etc. And all have the same ads you see on "regular or cable" TV....if you desire no ads, prepare to double your payment for the streaming service. Television, like cars, and everything else you purchase is changing rapdly.

Old 01-17-2024, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKrause1 View Post
At some point due to companies desiring to get out of the cable television business, everything you watch will be streamed via your internet connection. The regular channels ABC, CBS, NBC are subtle in handing people and their viewing propensities over to the streaming channels they own. Peacock, Paramount Plus, Hulu, Fubo, etc, etc. And all have the same ads you see on "regular or cable" TV....if you desire no ads, prepare to double your payment for the streaming service. Television, like cars, and everything else you purchase is changing rapdly.
Well you're certainly entitled to your opinion and I'll disagree with it. There have been plenty of predictions over time like this that have fallen flat on their face.

I had a friend that arrogantly predicted 10 years ago that all cars would be driverless by 2020. It's the wave of the future he proclaimed. Fast forward to today and he wasn't close to being right. In addition, a friend was just laid off by a company named Cruise. One of their cars ran someone over and they are dealing with a massive lawsuit. Electric cars were also seen as the wave of the future. I guess we'll see but people seem to be digging their heels in the ground (I don't see this happening in my lifetime).

For all extensive purposes, NBC lost in this deal. The first game was an abject failure only getting slightly over 7 million viewers when the average was 17 million. And even with 23 million viewers, NBC left over 40% of their viewers on the sidelines (and they picked one of the most popular games). Unless they retain a substantial amount of subscribers, they absolutely lost. There's an article in the WSJ today talking about CNN going to digital subscriptions. I predict they'll fall on their arses. There's nothing unique about their product and people can get their news from a variety of sources. There's nothing all that unique about Peacock either and I suspect most that subscribed to that game cancelled their subscription as soon as it was over. How successful a specific stream will be is going to depend on how unique it is. Clearly the viewers on Saturday didn't think seeing Mahomes was so special that they couldn't pass on the game as there were plenty of other games on this weekend to enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football