Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2024, 11:46 AM

3,429 posts, read 1,568,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
It's on Google 17 hours a go.
How many people are watching the Chiefs Dolphins game on Peacock?
More than a million of those viewers watched the game on local over-the-air simulcasts in the home markets, meaning that the Peacock audience was about six million.17 hours ago

Sorry not following what you're eluding to. If you have a link to the rating, feel free to post. I am genuinely interested but Nielsen doesn't usually put the rating immediately at the end of a game (which is where 17 hours ago puts us). The media watch link (same one I posted) definitely does not have the rating of last night's game (merely a prediction).

If you google search what you have above, you get this...

How many people watched the Chiefs Dolphins on Peacock?
That deal was made separately. If subscriptions are high and the number of people watching is high (NBC said 5.7 million people turned into the December 23 Saturday night game exclusively on Peacock), there's a good bet this playoff game goes to a streaming service again.

This is not the viewership last night.

Perhaps you're referring to this....

Saturday marks just the second exclusive NFL game on Peacock. Last month, Bills-Chargers averaged a 3.0 rating and 7.33 million viewers, the sixth-smallest audience of the season — ahead of only three early morning International Series games on NFL Network and two Monday Night Football games on ESPN that overlapped with competing games on ABC. More than a million of those viewers watched the game on local over-the-air simulcasts in the home markets, meaning that the Peacock audience was about six million. While that is a respectable number for a streaming service with just 28 million subscribers (entering the game), there is little doubt the NFL left a more than a few million viewers on the table.

These are also the numbers for the Bills/Chargers game.

Last edited by blameyourself; 01-14-2024 at 12:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2024, 12:34 PM

22,603 posts, read 47,707,443 times
https://twitter.com/colin_dunlap/sta...755798/photo/1

"Beano Cook (I miss him every day) was onto this the-NFL-will-start-making-you-pay-differently-to-watch-games racket 20 years ago." Colin Dunlap

Old 01-14-2024, 01:34 PM

Looks like the official Nielsen numbers won't come out until at least Tuesday.

Old 01-14-2024, 02:23 PM

16,284 posts, read 10,427,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
Looks like the official Nielsen numbers won't come out until at least Tuesday.
Yeah I've been looking all day, including in this thread. Obviously the numbers will be lower than the network broadcast, I'm hoping substantially lower. How can the league afford to lose so many viewers?

Old 01-14-2024, 03:42 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,993,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Yeah I've been looking all day, including in this thread. Obviously the numbers will be lower than the network broadcast, I'm hoping substantially lower. How can the league afford to lose so many viewers?
How can the league afford it? They don't care. NBC paid them. Fans watching is irrelevant to Goodell and the owners once they already have the money. That's for NBC to worry about.

Old 01-14-2024, 03:46 PM

68,333 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
This is the best summary of the situation.

There is only one way to even have a chance to stopping this trend from expanding, and it’s basically an umbrella in a typhoon. It’s going to require you to watch something else.

The challenge for NBC, and the NFL, is to condition the consumer to expect to spend extra money for an event that was previously free.

The challenge for the consumer/fan is to “Just say no.”

There is only 0.0023 percent chance this trend stops, because nothing has indicated Americans have the power to not watch a pro football game.

It’s up to you.

Easy peasy!

Old 01-14-2024, 04:27 PM

78,454 posts, read 60,652,129 times
I'm in my 50's and have plenty of money. I listened to the game on the radio.

F you peacock and the NFL for getting greedy. Not only will I not subscribe to Pcock, I never will.

It's not the money, it's the principle, hassle and frankly the risk that if this is successful that I will need 4-5 different subscriptions 10 years from now to watch the NFL.

IMO there is no right or wrong answer here, just individual decision like how you like you ice cream.

Old 01-14-2024, 04:39 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,993,050 times
Peacock has more value now than it ever has since they've resolved the live streaming issues. I was already a subscriber for the wrasslin' library, EPL and SNF. There was value as a cable cutter but until recently their live streaming capability was abysmal. If they can maintain the live streaming as of late it's a good service if any of the other offerings are of interest.

Old 01-14-2024, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
As stated earlier Dave.... it's about the long game. Similar to the dot com bust, it's all about future expectations of income based on the revenue stream from subscribers. Their end game is about retention of subscribers. Hence not only am I interested in the total viewership, but also any information on the amount of people that merely subscribed to the game and then cancelled.

Peacock currently have 30 million subscribers. Netflix has 247 million and Amazon Prime has 200 million (for comparison). If this experiment doesn't significantly increase their viewership, the Peacock network is toast . Deep pockets or not, no one is going to just brush off $2.8 billion in losses.

Old 01-14-2024, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Buckle up fans, the NFL is considering buying a position in the ESPN network.
That doesn't concern me. This could be interesting though. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or bad thing. The NFL wouldn't be able to have the monopoly if it loses, but then all hell could break lose on the streaming side.

https://deadline.com/2024/01/nfl-sun...al-1235730814/

If the NFL loses the case, big part of the blast radius of that costly verdict could be a streaming free-for-all with each of the league’s 32 teams making their own individual deals with various platforms and outlets for in-market and out of market games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football