Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2024, 12:15 PM

1,809 posts, read 3,191,424 times

Advertisements

The peacock news is bad. Won't be long until all playoff games are streaming only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2024, 12:58 PM

3,429 posts, read 1,563,849 times
Well, the spin may have been a bit premature (glad to see that)...

https://tvline.com/ratings/peacock-n...ns-1235112927/

Arguably the most popular game of the weekend, the Chiefs/Dolphins game peaked at 24.6 million....but the less popular Browns/Texans game averaged 29 million. I'll be curious when the numbers come out for the Cowboys and Lions games.

Old 01-15-2024, 01:35 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
I must walk back some of my positive Peacock comments. Their streaming capability took a wee hit again last night. During the 2nd half of the Lions game the lag and buffering started to kick in. Getting overloaded as the game went on. I ended up going for a stream that was 2 minutes ahead. Still work to do. I don't have these issues with other streaming services.

Expect to see more of this. Networks have long standing relationships with the NFL. They will find ways to generate more revenue as more and more people cut the cord. I know some here want to believe cable is still a driving force but the reality is people are tuning out. There is a reason NBC is willing to take this gamble with Peacock. Streaming is the next frontier of broadcasting.
It was buffering during the network broadcast too, sound got choppy and the picture would stop. I thought it was just my cable.

Old 01-15-2024, 05:10 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,215,513 times
Terrible move by NFL in my book. We were even willing to pay the fee to sign up and watch the game but we have an older TV and it will only stream pre-populated channels like Netflix and Prime. The only thing we could have done is watch on a laptop and who wants to do that? Great way to keep your fans, classy.

Old 01-15-2024, 05:45 PM

1,809 posts, read 3,191,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
Terrible move by NFL in my book. We were even willing to pay the fee to sign up and watch the game but we have an older TV and it will only stream pre-populated channels like Netflix and Prime. The only thing we could have done is watch on a laptop and who wants to do that? Great way to keep your fans, classy.
Get a roku and you can run any streaming apps from there

Old 01-15-2024, 05:51 PM

715 posts, read 1,039,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
I hear ya. My wife and I are not renewing our NFL Sunday Ticket subscription due in large part to what you're talking about (in addition to streaming problems and poor customer service).

We'd prefer to take the $25/week and have breakfast at the local sports bar with accessibility to all the games at one time. I have no patience for an inferior product.

I'm curious to see what will happened if the NFL loses its lawsuit and has to give up its monopoly rights.
I'm probably wrong, but it almost like the pea-C o c k deal was the inverse of Sunday Ticket. Sunday ticket ya pay extra for ANY out of market streaming games. But the peacock idiocy the other night was: Force fans even in neighboring TV markets viewers and presumably Miami fans (West Palm NBC affiliate to the north of MIA, or Ft Myers NBC affiliate to the west/northwest) even had to pay the c o c k for the priviledge of seeing KC/MIA. Or putting it on the KC market side- peeps in the neighboring Topeka, KS tv market (probably nominally Chiefs fans) or north in Des Moines, IA (again, Chiefs territory for some fans) had to pay the c o c k. Freegon ridiculous.

Old 01-15-2024, 05:52 PM

2,962 posts, read 3,530,774 times
Who cares about football? The Cowboys loss, though. I don't understand the fascination with football.

Old 01-15-2024, 06:00 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,215,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
Get a roku and you can run any streaming apps from there
I get that, but to have a playoff game on a channel that you have to buy equipment to watch is, to me, not exactly a fans-first approach. I don't like the Thursday night games available only on Prime, either, but at least they are regular season games. When it comes to the playoffs, it's really uncool to put single games on subscription channels, especially ones not everyone can access without also spending money on new equipment.

Old 01-15-2024, 07:36 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
When the NFL can get $110 million for the rights to one game like they did this one, expect more PPV. I refused to buy ESPN because I would have to buy a $70 sports package through my cable company to get it. No thanks.
I expect the Superbowl to eventually become PPV like big boxing matches and be expensive, a move that eventually could ruin the NFL. Why would you watch a team all season and then miss them in the Superbowl because you can't afford to watch it?

Old 01-16-2024, 09:30 AM

8,859 posts, read 6,865,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
Who cares about football? The Cowboys loss, though. I don't understand the fascination with football.

Hey, let's all go onto boards about specific topics and declare that we don't like those topics! It's a great way to show our superiority!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football