Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2024, 04:37 AM

715 posts, read 1,039,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
I don't like it either but in the grand scheme of things many will pay the $5.99 for the month and cancel afterwards as you mention just to watch the game.

People spend more than that each day for Starbucks. It’s the principle for me but $5.99 is so insignificant an amount in what people spend on things now a days.
Not I. We just brew some so-so coffee in our pot at home. No way I'm nickle and diming myself into a streaming platform here, and then another one there.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2024, 04:41 AM

715 posts, read 1,039,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
I don't see how it's any different of an experiment than Amazon Prime getting the Thursday night games this past season.
I hear that. I only watch the Thursday night NFL games on Prime because my wife happens to have Prime. I wouldn't buy prime just to watch the NFL. And Amazon Prime is far more than an NFL carrier. And the c o c k 's streaming / series offerings are not up to Prime snuff. And Prime is a delivery system too for stuff purchased on Amazon.

Old 01-13-2024, 04:47 AM

3,429 posts, read 1,560,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
I don't see how it's any different of an experiment than Amazon Prime getting the Thursday night games this past season.
Who said it was?

You don't seem to be comprehending this discussion based on the rationale in your comments.

Anyone not in favor of what Peacock is doing is in all likelihood not in favor of having to subscribe to Prime either. And the audience share shows on each. The per game average in the NFL is 17.2 million viewers. The Nationally televised games on Sunday night gets 22 million viewers. Prime averages 12.7 million viewers and that's after the NFL shored up the Thursday lineup to get better matchups. As stated earlier in this thread, Peacock only got 7.2 million viewers on its other offering a few weeks ago.

And the other argument about it being cheaper than buying a ticket to a game is also irrational. If that's the logic we're going to use, then the NFL should just charge a fee for all games (regular season and playoffs) and run a little ticker at the bottom of the screen that says "it's cheaper than paying for a ticket" (that makes little sense). The proper way to look at it is the games were free and now it's turning into PPV.

This is what the conversation is about.

Last edited by blameyourself; 01-13-2024 at 04:57 AM..

Old 01-13-2024, 05:13 AM

8,270 posts, read 8,646,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gball721 View Post
Same. My wife happens to have Prime... so therefore, yeah, we do watch the Thursday night games. But we didn't sign up for Prime FOR the NFL. Hell no.
I already had Peacock so it's the same as Thursdays since I had Prime before TNF.

I don't have ESPN so I miss those games. I'm not complaining since I am the one not willing to pay for it.

Old 01-13-2024, 06:46 AM

16,273 posts, read 10,401,684 times
I know this is the future but it's not for me. I hated the Amazon games, for decades I chose to watch on delay so I can skip the commercials and halftime. With Amazon I was forced to watch live, when there was a commercial changing back to cable and then back resulted in such a delay I may as well stay. So despite being a huge football fan I passed on Thursday Night games.

I thought I got Peacock, I learned this morning I would need to subscribe and then go to the trouble of canceling. Not a chance I pay to support this movement, I hope it fails miserably.

Old 01-13-2024, 07:10 AM

5,158 posts, read 6,129,481 times
I am seeing a lot of growing disappointment on social media and in the news with NBC’s decision to stream this game on Peacock.

I don't like it but those of us that have cut the cord from cable are now paying the price for the cable company’s and networks loss of revenue.

Our internet keeps going up and with our limited streaming purchases and we are slowly getting close to what we paid for basic cable.

This matchup tonight is every football fans dream game, two great teams, and inclement weather. I would have loved to watch it but I am not going to pay to see it.

Old 01-13-2024, 08:58 AM

4,940 posts, read 3,047,903 times
N=Not
F=For
L=Long

Old 01-13-2024, 10:38 AM

8,803 posts, read 10,240,080 times
This was news last year but it doesn't change the fact that it sucks.

Old 01-13-2024, 11:29 AM

3,429 posts, read 1,560,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
I am seeing a lot of growing disappointment on social media and in the news with NBC’s decision to stream this game on Peacock.

I don't like it but those of us that have cut the cord from cable are now paying the price for the cable company’s and networks loss of revenue.

Our internet keeps going up and with our limited streaming purchases and we are slowly getting close to what we paid for basic cable.

This matchup tonight is every football fans dream game, two great teams, and inclement weather. I would have loved to watch it but I am not going to pay to see it.
Interesting. I was wondering about the bolded myself with so many people getting nickeled and dimed for stuff like this.

Old 01-13-2024, 02:27 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,114,371 times
My wife likes Netflix and we have Prime mostly because we live in a rural area and many of the things we need we can't buy here. The largest city is 130 miles round trip. We have basic cable for the local channels, which we need during tornado season. Tried some of the other services but decided the content is not worth the price. Started to cancel Peacock and they gave me a special offer of $2.50 a month for 3 months. Don't see how you can think you are saving anything with youtube live at $72.99 a month. Or Hulu live at $76.99 a month. I have regular Hulu which cost $1.99 a month on Black Friday. Not sure I will even keep it at that price. People need to sit down and add up what they are paying for streaming and see if they are actually saving anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football