Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 05:21 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times

Advertisements

Isn't it obvious that most of these comments are just blaming the woman for the bad acts of the men?

Men, you have no control over your necks and heads? No one is compelling you to stare. That is a choice.

Old 05-28-2018, 06:14 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,929,707 times
She wanted the attention. If not one person glanced her way over the day she'd go home disappointed.

Old 05-28-2018, 08:16 AM

24,476 posts, read 17,220,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Isn't it obvious that most of these comments are just blaming the woman for the bad acts of the men?

Men, you have no control over your necks and heads? No one is compelling you to stare. That is a choice.

I don't agree. I don't see but a few "blaming the woman". This wasn't a club where the women get all dolled up to be sexy this was actually a unisex hair salon and I suspect this young woman dresses in tight revealing clothes because she likes to, feeling comfortable in those clothes and she certainly had the body for it.

Of course men have control over their necks and heads but who doesn't turn when someone enters a room or a loud bang draws our attention? It is human nature to be curious. I think most men including some gay ones would have looked at this woman.

I can't help but think how a woman or a man that is put together well is like a work of art and they should be admired. Isn't that why Hollywood puts out the red carpet at award shows and multiple magazines and gossip shows highlight the hits and misses and the who wore it betters?

The human animal is curious by nature and we can't help it.

The first look is human. The second look is curiosity. The stare borders creepy.

Old 05-28-2018, 09:26 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
I do agree staring is rude. My mom or dad, or some other authority figure, taught me that when small. Children stare at the unusual until they know better.

Staring at pretty girls too long is uncomfortable. Watch when one enters a room, and watch the men. The proper will look then deliberately look away. That is act of will. A few won't. They are PU or wolves or just jerks, I figure. Whatever: not really judging, I've done my share of staring in life.

Men stare, naturally. We like beauty, and youth. It's a fact. Read "Dataclysm" for a fascinating analysis of how men, and oddly enough women, react to beauty: apparently we all like it, and the deeper it is, the more nuts we are. Not fair, but life isn't fair, unf.

Why beauties do what they do, I don't know. I've only known a few. One was sweet. Another was hard, and mean. I'm pretty sure she'd been assaulted God knows how many times in the Young Pioneers back in the end of the Soviet days, from her hard-hearted talks about life back then and "that's just how it was." Pretty sad, though. The few times I've been with a beauty, it's interesting to see how men react to her and it makes me rather uncomfortable, too. They just learn to deal with it, I guess. If I see it, they must too.
I remember walking into an Applebees a number of years ago. Everyone looks up and stares for a second at a new coming family or group. One guy would not take his eyes off my daughter. He continued to stare at her as I walked over to him and only looked away when I stepped into his field of view. When he finally looked up at me I just stood there with my arms crossed and growled "She is 14 *******" and walked away. After that he was too busy trying to explain things to his wife. (his little kid did not seem to notice what was going on). She was not dressed provocatively just jeans and t-shirt. no skin showing. She has never dressed like that.

Old 05-28-2018, 09:58 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
What she chooses to wear is beside the point,it’s bad manners to stare.
And don't forget, if a man looks at her and becomes sexually frustrated enough to stalk and rape her, it's only HIS fault.

If woman has the bad manners to dress in tight form fitting clothing that invites sexual attention, then she exhibiting bad judgment and bad manners for wearing something so inappropriate to the situation.

Tight fitting yoga pants are for yoga exercise, not to wearing in public or at work (unless works at a gym). What's wrong with wearing looser fitting clothing that doesn't accentuate a woman's breasts, crotch and butt areas? And the same goes for men wearing tight pants that reveals the outline of their penis.

If you are going to cite bad manners, well bad etiquette also covers the wearing of inappropriate clothing for the occasion. Enough with the double standards!!!!

And yes, there are times when victims are responsible for the bad things that happened to them. It's called LOT using common sense.

Old 05-28-2018, 10:11 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I remember walking into an Applebees a number of years ago. Everyone looks up and stares for a second at a new coming family or group. One guy would not take his eyes off my daughter. He continued to stare at her as I walked over to him and only looked away when I stepped into his field of view. When he finally looked up at me I just stood there with my arms crossed and growled "She is 14 *******" and walked away. After that he was too busy trying to explain things to his wife. (his little kid did not seem to notice what was going on). She was not dressed provocatively just jeans and t-shirt. no skin showing. She has never dressed like that.
I had that once with my daughter. I'd taken my daughter and her friend, who were 14 at the time, to a restaurant on the boardwalk at the shore. She was not dressed provocatively, either.

I smoked at the time, so I got up and walked over to the bar to have a cigarette, and I saw some guy staring at my daughter. I just stared him down until he felt it, then when he turned and looked me, he glanced back at my daughter and then at me and I saw the light bulb go on in his head. He quickly turned around and faced the bar.

Old 05-28-2018, 10:13 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
And don't forget, if a man looks at her and becomes sexually frustrated enough to stalk and rape her, it's only HIS fault.

If woman has the bad manners to dress in tight form fitting clothing that invites sexual attention, then she exhibiting bad judgment and bad manners for wearing something so inappropriate to the situation.

Tight fitting yoga pants are for yoga exercise, not to wearing in public or at work (unless works at a gym). What's wrong with wearing looser fitting clothing that doesn't accentuate a woman's breasts, crotch and butt areas? And the same goes for men wearing tight pants that reveals the outline of their penis.

If you are going to cite bad manners, well bad etiquette also covers the wearing of inappropriate clothing for the occasion. Enough with the double standards!!!!

And yes, there are times when victims are responsible for the bad things that happened to them. It's called LOT using common sense.
I don't get this. Are you implying that it's NOT?

No man should be sexually frustrated enough that he rapes ANYONE. EVER. That's not a reason for rape, and I think it's bizarre that you seem to think so. Go home and jerk off.

Old 05-28-2018, 10:27 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,861,079 times
To answer the OP's question, a picture (or video) is worth a thousand forum replies.
Look at some of the hidden camera pranks with men caught looking at women. Which men's responses look appropriate to you?

Old 05-28-2018, 10:29 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,861,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
How about this? Perhaps she was wearing what she liked and what made her feel attractive. She probably wasn't trying to attract the attention of random men.

Don't put your states on her. Your behavior rests solely with you and your choices. Take responsibility for yourself.
Yes. And maybe she was one of the one in a trillion people who wasn't aware that dressing that way caught people's attention. Can't anyone give the woman some benefit of the doubt?

Old 05-28-2018, 11:14 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't get this. Are you implying that it's NOT?

No man should be sexually frustrated enough that he rapes ANYONE. EVER. That's not a reason for rape, and I think it's bizarre that you seem to think so. Go home and jerk off.
I'm a woman. So no reason to jerk off. And how can YOU as a woman know how a man feels about sexual frustration?

I think it a mistake to think that it would only be the man's fault if he felt that frustrated. And it's one thing to think that way in our safe and stable First World country. However, in any Third World country, traditional Muslim country, or any country where the majority of the population is of a machismo culture... a provocatively dressed woman would be vulnerable to male harassment on all levels, from hard stares all the way up to rape.

I remember hearing stories from girlfriends coming back from visiting Italy, where they were pinched on their butt and the men also made hissing noises to get their attention. And it seemed that these Italian men only harassed the young tourist women, not the local women with this behaviour.

And in Africa, in the ghetto areas where there are community latrines set up, the women are afraid the use the toilets at night for fear of being raped.

And then of course, in traditional Muslim communities where their women are all covered up, they think any skimpily dressed women having looser morals or even being wh*res.

Are all these other men in the wrong? Of course they are. But imo a physically attractive woman should not be dressing sexually provocatively if she doesn't want the sexual attention of men.

As discussed in the Relationships section of C-D... if a woman is getting sexual advances from a man that she happens to be attracted to... then it's welcomed, even invited. However, if that woman in the short skirt is getting sexual attention from an unattractive loser... then he is a creep and a stalker. The problem is, that a woman doesn't have a way of becoming invisible to men that she isn't attracted. There is no way to block his line of vision in a public or work setting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology