Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 04:19 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,573,553 times

Advertisements

It is an invitation to be male shamed

Old 05-28-2018, 04:48 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,370,252 times
Are men supposed to look at women?

No, and she can't make me.

As to your original question, I think staring is rude no matter who you do that to. As for why women dress "provocatively", I suppose there are as many reasons as there are women (who dress "provocatively).

Old 05-28-2018, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
The other day I was sitting in a waiting room and a very pretty young woman walked in. She was tall, blonde, very fit and she wore a Tshirt that exposed her stomach and really tight grey yoga pants that didn't leave much to the imagination.

She was very distracting to say the least but I don't think that she dressed like that to attract attention.

She lingered for a minute and then passed through to another room and I looked at the guy that was sitting several chairs away and we both picked our jaws off the floor at the same time.

I noticed that he kept staring at her and I did my best to go back to the magazine I was reading after all I am a happily married man and I respect my wife but I will admit that I do still admire the female form (from a distance) like I think most men do.

The question is, why does a woman dress so provocatively if not to be stared at?

I understand that she might not know what she is doing to most red blooded men that see her.

She may also dress to try and attract a boyfriend or she might dress like that because it is comfortable on a hot day.

She might be comfortable but I think most men are uncomfortable especially in this day and age of sexual harassment.

When is it Ok to look at a pretty young women in revealing clothes and when is it not?

I think it is rude to stare but is it respectable to take a notice and how long does it take for a look to qualify as a creepy stare?

For me it was a bit awkward to be seated a few feet away and at eye level with her exposed belly button.
I'd probably say 5-10 seconds on average before a look gets taken as creepy staring(since even women GLANCE longer than I do). Of course, looking at a woman like you are watching TV is not going to go over well.

Also, it really depends on the woman.

Old 05-28-2018, 05:01 PM

609 posts, read 352,331 times
I think guys should wear yoga pants with no underwear.

Old 05-28-2018, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
It's past time to put this stupid myth, that provocative clothing invites rape, out to pasture permanently.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/a.../marked-mayhem

'What Were You Wearing?' exhibit takes aim at age-old sexual violence myth - Chicago Tribune

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poste...=.a64c2c8567f4

All that aside, there's the simple fact that every demographic from babies to the elderly gets raped, which rather puts this idea that sexy clothing on a shapely figure is a significant trigger for rape to the lie. About a third of sexual violence victims are children. About a tenth of sexual violence victims are male - that's a fairly small percentage of the whole, yes, but it's a lot of people. Yet no one is advising males to dress less sexy. And, I mean, come on. Coma patients get raped. Like, that was a really hot hospital gown the victim was dressed in?

https://www.law.georgetown.edu/campu...nformation.cfm

The bottom line is that rapists have a disordered sexuality. It may seem "common sense" to a regular fellow that a pretty girl in a sexy outfit would be a rapist's preferred prey, because that's who they themselves are thinking having sex with. But a rapist is not generally committing rapes for the same purposes that one seeks out consensual sex. Many rapists have access to consensual sex. They are committing rapes because they want to rape. (I expect there are some exceptions, e.g. intoxicated date situations where one or both people have a poor understanding of consent - where there may not have been an intent to rape, but rape occurred nonetheless - but that wouldn't apply to attacks on random girls flaunting their stuff in public.) Their criteria for choosing a victim are not the same criteria used by an ordinary person to decide who to proposition as a sexual partner.
Hell, I can go by my own experience and say that it is a myth. A lot of times I got sexually harassed (and even assaulted), I was wearing a dirty, baggy, jacket that was buttoned or zipped all the way up with no view of my body. That doesn't stop perverts.

When I dressed in more revealing clothing, the attention seemed to stop (But I'm a guy and the male body is disgusting. so I learned to be a little "skimpy" to keep the attention away.

Old 05-28-2018, 05:14 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,961,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
That's equivalent to camel toe, if you can see either, you are wearing the wrong size or cheap fabric.
Quote:
Originally Posted by _jbub88_ View Post
I think guys should wear yoga pants with no underwear.
Exactly Mikala!

Lmao@_jbub88

Old 05-28-2018, 05:21 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,718,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
She may have just come from yoga class and the attire is not meant to be provocative as much as comfortable. But she may not care that men stare. She may have dressed that way so that men would stare. I'd say, by and large, women who dress provocatively (not coming from yoga class) do it for the attention.

I'd say it's always OK until she becomes uncomfortable.

Depends on who you ask.
My gym (which has a yoga studio) is right by a shopping area with a few small restaurants, wine bar, stores, small grocery store, etc. I am sure many people go from there to Starbucks, the grocery, or some other store because they are already there. My last fitness studio was the same way... it made no sense to go home when the grocery store or coffee place was in the same parking lot. sorry if some men who were at the diner thought it was too much.

Old 05-28-2018, 05:39 PM

19,031 posts, read 14,266,154 times
BTW - if you want to stare, get a pair of cheap mirror sunglasses to hide it... LOL

Old 05-28-2018, 05:46 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,093,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
That's equivalent to camel toe, if you can see either, you are wearing the wrong size or cheap fabric.

Let's not forget the stitching. Even if you are not personally creating a camel toe per se, the manufacturer pretty much includes one free of charge with that center seam that runs down the front. Long t-shirt or yoga top solves the issue either way.

Old 05-28-2018, 05:49 PM

824 posts, read 708,984 times
ya... if you cant get a date
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology