Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 11:35 AM

48,580 posts, read 34,973,721 times

Advertisements

For gosh sakes, rape is not about sexual frustration, it is about violence and anger.

No I'm not a guy, but my husband worked in sex crimes for years, so that will have to do.

Back on topic...

Who knows why anyone wears what they do, and who cares? It hardly sounds provocative, the only reason you gave it a 2nd thought is because she looked good, if she didn't it probably wouldn't have registered on your radar.

Maybe she just came from the gym or yoga. /shrug

Guys will check out women they find attractive no matter what they are wearing. It is fine to look, it is NOT fine to stare.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-28-2018, 11:37 AM

102,251 posts, read 108,183,264 times
Fashion, for one thing. Fashion has progressed to the point of women's clothing being flimsy, skin-tight elastic casing that shows every contour of the body. Since this has become the fashion, it means it's become normalized. It's become the equivalent of what jeans were, to the 60's generation. So some women don't even think twice about pulling on their leggings or yoga pants. It's just the uniform-du-jour. Is she trying to look good to attract a mate? Undoubtedly; isn't everyone at that age?

But you don't have to stare to enjoy the view. You can pretend to continue reading your magazine, and use your peripheral vision. If you're outdoors when something like this happens, you can hide behind sunglasses. Women stare at men who catch their interest, from behind sunglasses, all the time.

Old 05-28-2018, 11:57 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,074,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
THIS!~ she wants to be looked at and admired, but not stared at. There IS a difference.
I stare and try to imagine what they would look like with clothes.

Old 05-28-2018, 12:21 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,535,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Yes. And maybe she was one of the one in a trillion people who wasn't aware that dressing that way caught people's attention. Can't anyone give the woman some benefit of the doubt?
Doesn't all modes of dress catch people's attention for different reasons?

You are implying that every woman is some man enticing Jezebel if she wears something form fitting.

Old 05-28-2018, 12:40 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,089,788 times
I don't wear t-shirts that show my midriff. I don't feel sporting the muffin top look makes me seem all that attractive, lol.

I do wear activewear. Its comfortable, and I don't look bad in it. I remember when I was a teenager, I did dress according to fashion, which always seems to be on the provocative side, but what I was looking to attract was also a teenager.

I don't believe she didn't know she looked "good, cute or whatever". And like me, she doesn't have to be working out to appreciate activewear. I don't think she can expect people not to look at her. I wouldn't expect my husband not to notice her either.

All that said, as long as your weren't ogling her like a creepy perv, I wouldn't worry about it. If she isn't acting uncomfortable, there is no reason for you to act uncomfortable. Afterall, anyone who doesn't want people to look at them should not go out in public, regardless of what they are wearing.

Old 05-28-2018, 01:38 PM

7,036 posts, read 4,919,283 times
Look, don't leer.

Let me ask the men a question: If someone came in with a large birthmark across their face, would you stare at that? Most men (and women) would look and then look away because they know that staring at someone's birthmark or their missing arm or their false eye is rude. So please, extend the same courtesy to the women you want to stare at.

Also, may I point out that people here are implying that the way women dress is what causes them to be stared at and because of that, it makes staring OK. Um, no. As a large breasted woman, I get leers and comments constantly (usually from cowards who won't make them to my face). This is what I was born with and while I can cover my breasts up to a degree, they're there and pretty noticeable no matter how I dress. I can always tell the jerks from the gentlemen by which ones rudely stare and which ones can control their eyes (and yes, that's how I categorize men - jerks or gentlemen).

Incidentally, for those men who think it's all right to leer at women because "they're asking for attention by how they dress", I hope none of you are in any kind of information sensitive position at your jobs. With your lack of control, you're prime targets and easy lays for any woman who works for the competition wanting to get info from you.

Old 05-28-2018, 01:44 PM

6,624 posts, read 6,561,659 times
[quote=miu;52025556]And don't forget, if a man looks at her and becomes sexually frustrated enough to stalk and rape her, it's only HIS fault.

If woman has the bad manners to dress in tight form fitting clothing that invites sexual attention, then she exhibiting bad judgment and bad manners for wearing something so inappropriate to the situation.

Tight fitting yoga pants are for yoga exercise, not to wearing in public or at work (unless works at a gym). What's wrong with wearing looser fitting clothing that doesn't accentuate a woman's breasts, crotch and butt areas? And the same goes for men wearing tight pants that reveals the outline of their penis.

If you are going to cite bad manners, well bad etiquette also covers the wearing of inappropriate clothing for the occasion. Enough with the double standards!!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And yes, there are times when victims are responsible for the bad things that happened to them.
OMG, get your head out of your backside.

Tight fitting yoga pants are for yoga exercise, not to wearing in public or at work. SAYS WHO??? who are YOU to judge what she's wearing?

ARE YOU SERIOUS? Bad manners to INVITE sexual attention??? She can wear whatEVER she wants and you are saying she's ASKING to be raped? Poor YOU!! She is just ASKING for it, is she? Give your head a shake!

Looking at a woman who is dressed in tight clothes is NOT rude. Rude is staring at her. Rude is making sexual advances on a woman who doesn't WANT them. ILLEGAL is touching her in ANY way if it isn't accepted. Know the difference.

Old 05-28-2018, 01:53 PM

19,972 posts, read 30,281,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
This is why men and women can't understand each other. lol
But here's the difference.... a woman can approach a guy ...touch/hold his arms......put her arm around him......and most guys wont be offended......where this is done makes a difference..

if a guy did above and touched a woman in any way even an arm around her there's 4 types of harassment and 2 counts of assault...

ive had ladies approach me with a smile and put one arms around my waist with kind of a hug...and that seemed to be fine...again ...a guy cannot do this to a woman..

i also believe hey ladies...if you got it flaunt it....you wont always have it..
ive seen many ladies lose weight and enjoy the attention ...nothing wrong with that,,

ive also learned ,,,that no matter how hot you think a woman is.....she doesn't often share the same view...

one of gods most beautiful creation is a pretty woman,,,,nothing wrong with a second look to appreciate her

Old 05-28-2018, 01:59 PM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,088,253 times
OP, as long as you are not homosexual, sure normal. Just try to be somewhat respectful .Staring produces pleasure chemicals in the brain and gives men a hard on and gets their pants wet. If the gal gave them nightmares, deflated an erection and was ugly to look at they would not stare.

Me, I stare somewhat. Women in 2018 are kinds snotty about it. Some may challenge you or get into a fight. If they would push me I'd gas them in a second. Then things could escalate from there. So best to avoid confrontations as far as I am concerned before things get very ugly.

Old 05-28-2018, 02:05 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,563,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
The question is, why does a woman dress so provocatively if not to be stared at?
She may have just come from yoga class and the attire is not meant to be provocative as much as comfortable. But she may not care that men stare. She may have dressed that way so that men would stare. I'd say, by and large, women who dress provocatively (not coming from yoga class) do it for the attention.

Quote:
When is it Ok to look at a pretty young women in revealing clothes and when is it not?
I'd say it's always OK until she becomes uncomfortable.

Quote:
how long does it take for a look to qualify as a creepy stare?
Depends on who you ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.