Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 06:44 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,616,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy-Cat-Lady View Post
No one wants to acknowledge this issue, but the stigma against single, childless people over 30 is real. Past 30, you're meant to have your s@@t together and be married with kids. If you're not, people see you as some sort of non adult and you end up losing friends when they get pregnant, as parents tend to only want to be friends with other parents and people change when they have kids. Dating becomes difficult too, because you're left with the people who are also not good enough to be part of society by following the plan. The childfree moment is a joke...these people are honestly just envious of parents like I am, but they won't admit it.
I agree with you that it can be harder to fit in and make friends if you're unmarried without children, but that still doesn't make me wish that I had children.

Old 03-15-2019, 06:49 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,867,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Many people desire to live their life without children. Some don’t have the parental skills and others just like a peaceful life. Nothing wrong with that. Children are fine if you have the income and patience. Live and let live. What works for some doesn’t work for all.

^^^^^^^this

I've never experienced any issues of stigma over the years.

Old 03-15-2019, 06:50 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,275,306 times
Scrolling through my Facebook feed looking for childless single women over 30 I've known for decades, I see skiing powder at Squaw, SCUBA diving in the Caymans, a bunch of Park City ski pictures, on skis at Sunday River... It's winter. That's what my childless single women friends are doing. It's an awful life to be a white collar professional with lots of discretionary income.

Old 03-15-2019, 06:58 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,681,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Scrolling through my Facebook feed looking for childless single women over 30 I've known for decades, I see skiing powder at Squaw, SCUBA diving in the Caymans, a bunch of Park City ski pictures, on skis at Sunday River... It's winter. That's what my childless single women friends are doing. It's an awful life to be a white collar professional with lots of discretionary income.
I know. It’s rough. I can vacation whenever I want (outside of school breaks). I can easily move for my career while others are stuck in the same city and can’t take jobs that require travel... I have a lot more discretionary income. I have never experienced a stigma. Most of my friends are professionals.

Old 03-15-2019, 07:21 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post

Pretty much what I see. Haha. Poor souls!

Old 03-15-2019, 07:26 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,724,837 times
I won't say I've ever dealt with a "stigma" but there are people who like to pester me about still being single, and I'm only 25 (26 in a few weeks.) But to be honest, a lot of the people who pester me aren't that happy with their lives either. They also aren't that educated, so a lot of their comments come from ignorance. I know some people like to believe being married/in relationships validates their existence and "proves" nothing is wrong with them. But that's not the truth. A lot of dysfunctional people are married.

As for having friends, my best friend is married with two kids and she is always trying to make plans with me. Hell, she even complains about me not coming to see her enough. She messes with me about not having a bf but she told me she's just bored and wants to be entertained by seeing me with a man. I think a lot of this comes from where you live. If you live in an area that makes a big deal about this stuff, it's going to get to you, eventually making you think that's the life you want. If you live in an area that could care less about it, you probably wouldn't be bothered as much.

Old 03-15-2019, 07:31 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy-Cat-Lady View Post
No one wants to acknowledge this issue, but the stigma against single, childless people over 30 is real. Past 30, you're meant to have your [bleep] together and be married with kids. If you're not, people see you as some sort of non adult and you end up losing friends when they get pregnant, as parents tend to only want to be friends with other parents and people change when they have kids. Dating becomes difficult too, because you're left with the people who are also not good enough to be part of society by following the plan. The childfree moment is a joke...these people are honestly just envious of parents like I am, but they won't admit it.
I find the bolded part completely offensive as a childfree by choice man. Stop projecting your feelings onto other people. I don’t envy parents one bit. Really tragic you included that since you did highlight some good points in your post.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-15-2019 at 09:06 AM..

Old 03-15-2019, 07:31 AM

18,529 posts, read 18,761,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
^^^^^^^this

I've never experienced any issues of stigma over the years.
why should there be one.. Id be more envious...

Old 03-15-2019, 07:48 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,108,006 times
Can't control what other people think... If you loose friends and dates reject you that's on them.

Live you life as best as you can and the stigma is pointless.

Old 03-15-2019, 07:50 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,867,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I agree with you that it can be harder to fit in and make friends if you're unmarried without children, but that still doesn't make me wish that I had children.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology