Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 03:06 AM

854 posts, read 520,096 times

Advertisements

No one wants to acknowledge this issue, but the stigma against single, childless people over 30 is real. Past 30, you're meant to have your Mod cut. together and be married with kids. If you're not, people see you as some sort of non adult and you end up losing friends when they get pregnant, as parents tend to only want to be friends with other parents and people change when they have kids. Dating becomes difficult too, because you're left with the people who are also not good enough to be part of society by following the plan. The childfree moment is a joke...these people are honestly just envious of parents like I am, but they won't admit it.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 03-15-2019 at 04:27 PM.. Reason: Inappropriate language (PJS) Corrected OP's original post. (MQ)

Old 03-15-2019, 03:30 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,330,399 times
So, being married with kids is having your [bleep] together? Lol �� okay that’s funny.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-15-2019 at 08:59 AM..

Old 03-15-2019, 04:23 AM

2,145 posts, read 3,058,991 times
Oh, the stigma of being able to do what you want when you want, serving your own needs and desires—we should probably start a 5k fundraiser for these unfortunates.

You need to broaden your friend group.

I respect the hell out of people who decide their own minds regardless of society’s supposed norms. I’m 28 years married with two adultish children. I’d love to hear about your life. Seriously.

Old 03-15-2019, 05:59 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy-Cat-Lady View Post
No one wants to acknowledge this issue, but the stigma against single, childless people over 30 is real. Past 30, you're meant to have your s@@t together and be married with kids. If you're not, people see you as some sort of non adult and you end up losing friends when they get pregnant, as parents tend to only want to be friends with other parents and people change when they have kids. Dating becomes difficult too, because you're left with the people who are also not good enough to be part of society by following the plan. The childfree moment is a joke...these people are honestly just envious of parents like I am, but they won't admit it.
I am 42 and single and have never had any desire to have kids. I have other childfree friends who are 30+ and they are not envious of parents. I also have TONS of friends who have kids. In fact, the majority of my friends have kids. I just went on a weeklong trip abroad with my best friend, who is married with 3 kids. I have gone on a few vacations with another friend who is married with two kids. We are all 42 now.

Old 03-15-2019, 06:04 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,622,028 times
Many people desire to live their life without children. Some don’t have the parental skills and others just like a peaceful life. Nothing wrong with that. Children are fine if you have the income and patience. Live and let live. What works for some doesn’t work for all.

Old 03-15-2019, 06:15 AM

4,525 posts, read 3,403,693 times
Quote:
The childfree moment is a joke...these people are honestly just envious of parents like I am, but they won't admit it.
Except that's not really true

Old 03-15-2019, 06:26 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
I can't say I've ever run into such stigma. Some of my female friends say they used to get pressure from grandparents, etc. As a guy that's never happened to me, thankfully.

I've never had a second of envy for parents. My brother has a great life, good dad, great kids, but not an ounce of envy for his lifestyle (income maybe, but it goes to the kids). But I'm not childfree, I'm childless. My partner is very much childfree.

Old 03-15-2019, 06:30 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
No one wants to acknowledge this issue, but the stigma against single, childless people over 30 is real. Past 30, you're meant to have your s@@t together and be married with kids. If you're not, people see you as some sort of non adult and you end up losing friends when they get pregnant, as parents tend to only want to be friends with other parents and people change when they have kids. Dating becomes difficult too, because you're left with the people who are also not good enough to be part of society by following the plan. The childfree moment is a joke...these people are honestly just envious of parents like I am, but they won't admit it.
Actually, we get a post EXACTLY like yours at least every month - maybe do a search? This has been going on for millennia - every parent wants their kids to be "settled" and that means married with kids. Step up and tell people outright...I'm 55 and ya know, people really DON'T care that much about what you do, they care about THEMSELVES.

Old 03-15-2019, 06:33 AM

Mod cut: Orphaned comment (quoted post was deleted).

I'm nearly 33.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-15-2019 at 09:06 AM..

Old 03-15-2019, 06:36 AM

To all..

I get that some of you are happy without kids, but I'm not. I live in a town where it's pretty mu j all families and that doesn't help matters. Making friends IS harder and I've lost friends when they got pregnant and decided they had nothing in common with me anymore. I have a big problem with the childfree movement because of some of the hateful rhetoric I see against people with children and children themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology