Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2023, 04:40 PM

2,045 posts, read 789,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Perhaps some of those infertile men actually want children. Not every man is against having them you know.
This thread should have ended right here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2023, 09:31 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,917,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennieRose4 View Post
It's very clearly the bonding between the genders have deteriorated over the years. Less men want commitment and kids. More are opting for vasectomies and cohabitating with gf after gf.

However, my friend's brother just found out recently that he's permanently infertile. I don't know the name but it's when a man doesn't or can't produce any sperm. He was actually in tears when he got that news. She was trying to comfort him by listing the bright side of things such as no longer worrying about paying for child support, a gf babytrapping him, or younger women demanding for a kid, to treat it as a blessing. None of what she said helped at all. He doesn't want to speak with anyone at this moment.

If the number of men having vasectomies have skyrocketed over the recent years (this means more men wish they were infertile), why aren't naturally infertile men happy?
STERILE is the term
Just like a woman that cannot conceive

And you totally don’t understand the issue of choice in that discovery?
Those subsets don’t contain the same men

Old 01-10-2023, 09:33 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,750,034 times
Logical fallacies abound in this OP.

First of all, the only men likely to even know they are infertile are those who are trying to conceive and are having no success and so get tested. I.e. men who want kids. So yes, they would be disappointed by not achieving this goal.

Infertile men who don't want kids would never have a reason to get tested, never know about their infertility, and suffer no emotional trauma.

Just in case it's not obvious to OP that we are dealing with two vastly different demographics here.

Old 01-10-2023, 10:26 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,515,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennieRose4 View Post
It's very clearly the bonding between the genders have deteriorated over the years. Less men want commitment and kids. More are opting for vasectomies and cohabitating with gf after gf.

However, my friend's brother just found out recently that he's permanently infertile. I don't know the name but it's when a man doesn't or can't produce any sperm. He was actually in tears when he got that news. She was trying to comfort him by listing the bright side of things such as no longer worrying about paying for child support, a gf babytrapping him, or younger women demanding for a kid, to treat it as a blessing. None of what she said helped at all. He doesn't want to speak with anyone at this moment.

If the number of men having vasectomies have skyrocketed over the recent years (this means more men wish they were infertile), why aren't naturally infertile men happy?
why would they be? Any woman who would be told she can't have children would probably be very sad as well. To me this isn't a men vs women issue but a human issue. sure, the planet is overpopulated etc but I think most people would like at some point in their lives to have a heir. Sure, there are some men and women who dont want children by choice, but thats not the majority.

Old 01-10-2023, 10:47 AM

8,698 posts, read 3,886,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Logical fallacies abound in this OP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Infertile men who don't want kids would never have a reason to get tested, never know about their infertility, and suffer no emotional trauma.
If he doesn’t want kids, he should get a vasectomy or only have sex with women who are unable to have children, medically or by choice as well. Else, he may suffer the emotional trauma relative to an unexpected pregnancy instead, lol. Been there, done that (although I was excited/happy about it after the initial shock of learning she was pregnant). Still, it can throw you when you know birth control has been responsibly discussed/followed (and you aren’t expecting it); hence, if one knows they don’t want kids (and/or they know they won’t be involved or can’t provide support) - man up, so to speak, and stop playing Russian roulette/games with people’s lives. Personally, I’m still open to fathering another child (as our baby was tragically lost) - at least enough so as not to make a permanent decision as of yet.

It’s far more likely than what the OP and many in this thread are suggesting/discussing, if you’re speaking to logical fallacies.

Old 01-10-2023, 03:44 PM

5,658 posts, read 3,167,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
If he doesn’t want kids, he should get a vasectomy or only have sex with women who are unable to have children, medically or by choice as well. Else, he may suffer the emotional trauma relative to an unexpected pregnancy instead, lol. Been there, done that (although I was excited/happy about it after the initial shock of learning she was pregnant). Still, it can throw you when you know birth control has been responsibly discussed/followed (and you aren’t expecting it); hence, if one knows they don’t want kids (and/or they know they won’t be involved or can’t provide support) - man up, so to speak, and stop playing Russian roulette/games with people’s lives. Personally, I’m still open to fathering another child (as our baby was tragically lost) - at least enough so as not to make a permanent decision as of yet.

It’s far more likely than what the OP and many in this thread are suggesting/discussing, if you’re speaking to logical fallacies.
But an INFERTILE man would not be producing babies. That's what Zentropa is saying. He would likely, not know he's infertile unless he WANTS babies, and gets tested as to why the little swimmers don't seem to be swimming.

Old 01-10-2023, 10:00 PM

44,375 posts, read 20,083,252 times
This thread was hijacked multiple times. Numerous off-topic posts have been deleted. The thread is being moved to the Psychology forum. If it goes awry again, it will be permanently closed.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-10-2023 at 10:26 PM..

Old 01-11-2023, 07:54 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,352,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Perhaps some of those infertile men actually want children. Not every man is against having them you know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit12 View Post
This thread should have ended right here.
Sydney123's response was the first in this discussion, and I agree. Though pretty much everyone who responded addressed the issue, which is the OP's unwillingness to see men as individuals. The overall response was refreshing.

Old 01-11-2023, 09:08 AM

8,698 posts, read 3,886,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
But an INFERTILE man would not be producing babies. That's what Zentropa is saying. He would likely, not know he's infertile unless he WANTS babies, and gets tested as to why the little swimmers don't seem to be swimming.
Yeah, I was speaking to (and agreeing with) Zentropa’s comment re: logical fallacies, as the OP’s question isn’t logical on a number of levels. In fact, in a previous comment, I mentioned the same thing i.e. a man isn’t going to know unless he’s actively trying to have a baby (and has had no success with his partner); hence they’re an infertile couple. Even then, some may pursue it to determine who/what/why; others may let it go and move on.

That said, it’s great to see the thread moved to Psychology, as the issue of a man (or woman) who is that unhappy for any reason, yet alone because he is hyper-focused on having/not having kids, is clearly relative to one’s psychological health overall and their (lack of) coping skills/ability to adjust to what life throws their way (while effectively managing the parts of their life they do control).

Old 01-11-2023, 09:32 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,352,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Yeah, I was speaking to (and agreeing with) Zentropa’s comment re: logical fallacies, as the OP’s question isn’t logical on a number of levels. In fact, in a previous comment, I mentioned the same thing i.e. a man isn’t going to know unless he’s actively trying to have a baby (and has had no success with his partner); hence they’re an infertile couple. Even then, some may pursue it to determine who/what/why; others may let it go and move on.

That said, it’s great to see the thread moved to Psychology, as the issue of a man (or woman) who is that unhappy for any reason, yet alone because he is hyper-focused on having/not having kids, is clearly relative to one’s psychological health overall and their (lack of) coping skills/ability to adjust to what life throws their way (while effectively managing the parts of their life they do control).
I don't know where you fall on this question so I'm not using your comment as a contrast with mine, but more a springboard.

You mention healthy coping. I think part of what surprised the OP is not only that a man might feel strongly about his fertility, but that he would openly express those feelings. I think his response, as far as we know, is a healthy one. There's a point where he'll hopefully have processed this news and moved on to what if anything he may do in response, but processing it, including expr3esing it, would be the first step.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology