Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2024, 10:36 AM

1,089 posts, read 579,019 times

Advertisements

When you socialize, do you find you prefer smaller groups or does the size of the group not matter to you? I definitely do better one-on-one or with a smaller group (4-6 people). The bigger the group, the harder it can be to figure out who you should be talking to, not to mention it gets noisier which makes conversation more challenging. I find it very intimidating, while other people seem to handle large, noisy groups just as easily as anything else.

I bring this up because I just came across a new specialized Meetup group that would be ideal for me, except they appear to have a 20-person limit, with an additional 15 on the waitlist for each gathering. It's hard enough for me to find groups I want to check out and this makes it not worth the effort.

Compare that to a former meetup group, geared specifically toward introverts, that had a 6 person limit for activities. I so wish there was still something like that around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2024, 10:53 AM

22,581 posts, read 47,641,955 times
Depends on the circumstance/activity, but usually does not matter to me.

Old 01-23-2024, 11:59 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael917 View Post
Do You Prefer Smaller Social Groups?
I think a 'group' is small by definition; almost redundant.
Quote:
...Meetup group that would be ideal for me, except they appear to have a 20-person limit
Yep. That' about right.
Quote:
...introverts, that had a 6 person limit for activities.
I so wish there was still something like that around.
Create such.
I want a Castilian speakers group. Can you imagine more than six at a time?

Old 01-23-2024, 03:12 PM

1,089 posts, read 579,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I think a 'group' is small by definition; almost redundant.
Not necessarily. I've gone to dinner with three other people, and I've gone to dinner with fifteen other people. I considered both a "group outing" but to me they are vastly different experiences.

But it all depends on the type of activity. Some activities can't work unless you have a larger group. For my purposes, I'm talking about getting together strictly to talk and socialize. I'd prefer fewer people for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Create such.
Meetup charges steep fees to create groups. Having facilitated groups in the past, I tend to over-focus on the potential problems that could happen, and don't like the idea of spending so much money on something may or may not work out.

Old 01-23-2024, 03:20 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,801,283 times
Depends... if it involves table games and friends a small group. If it's BBQ's, beer, drinks, outdoor stuff and a bonfire... I prefer a larger group especially mixed ages, young adults, children and dogs at the ranch.

Old 01-23-2024, 07:09 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,799,167 times
This isn't a straightforward question IMHO. Depending on what the activity is, I'd describe my preference as slotted...either very small (2-5) or very large (200+). Not much in the middle. A very small one-on-one group is fine. A very large group is impersonal enough I can feel anonymous with no requirement to engage with anyone. That takes the pressure off.

Old 01-23-2024, 07:54 PM

8,658 posts, read 3,861,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael917 View Post
When you socialize, do you find you prefer smaller groups or does the size of the group not matter to you? I definitely do better one-on-one or with a smaller group (4-6 people). The bigger the group, the harder it can be to figure out who you should be talking to, not to mention it gets noisier which makes conversation more challenging. I find it very intimidating, while other people seem to handle large, noisy groups just as easily as anything else.
It depends on the people or circumstances; my girlfriend and I tend to do the most socializing with smaller groups/couples i.e. dinner, football watch parties and so on. I enjoy larger parties or events as well, but I don’t see much difference as one tends to conversate within a smaller group or one-on-one (at a time) relative to such anyway.

Old 01-23-2024, 08:53 PM

982 posts, read 522,520 times
To paraphrase Groucho Marx, I would never want to be a member of any social group that would allow someone like me to join it.

Old 01-23-2024, 09:36 PM

2,061 posts, read 1,000,552 times
Introverts Unite! Separately...in our own homes.

I also can't do groups of more than four people. Too much talking, interrupting, dual conversations going on. My brain can't take it.

Old 01-23-2024, 10:35 PM

256 posts, read 114,543 times
I don't know what I like.

In a small group, I feel pressured to say something and I feel uncomfortable being the center of attention.

In a large group, I feel overwhelmed, it's disorienting and leaves me tired and confused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology