Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2024, 08:40 PM

88,521 posts, read 84,705,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
I like the late night because it seems all of the other people in the world sort of....go away.

That's what I like about the early morning!

New Year's Day 2011, I had just moved to a different part of the state, had no where to go or anyone to spend New Year's Eve with, fell asleep at 10 pm. I woke up early the next morning, checked the sunrise time, which was in 20 minutes, and jumped in my car and made it to the ocean in time to photograph the sun rising over a snowy beach on New Year's Day. I was the only human there among the seagulls until eventually a woman came by walking her dog.

Old 03-01-2024, 02:35 PM

42 posts, read 15,559 times
"Bent"? Why do people think getting up early and going to bed early makes them an adult and better more productive person, and us nightgowns are lazy and immature, even though both types of people get the same amount sleep, and the same amount of hours for work and getting things done? I think people just naturally have different sleep cycles somehow. Maybe science might answer that. I never could understand people who wake up at 5am to go to the gym before work, but there is a lot of them. They also think I'm crazy for going to the gym after work, because they are tired and just wanna get home. Honestly, sometimes I feel lazy too and want to get home a but earlier, but I'd rather sleep in. I was not working for a few months last year, and I have discovered I feel the best when I sleep 1am-9am or 2am-10am. Now I have to get up at 6:30am to go to work, and I'm suffering. I'm forcing myself to go to bed around 11pm, so I can get at least 7.5 hours of sleep, but it just feels wrong and unnatural. I'm kind of getting into this new cycle, but no matter how much sleep I get, I still usually feel tired till around noon, and still hate the alarm going off this early. But, you gotta so what you gotta do.

Old 03-01-2024, 02:43 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninella View Post
"Bent"? Why do people think getting up early and going to bed early makes them an adult and better more productive person, and us nightgowns are lazy and immature, even though both types of people get the same amount sleep, and the same amount of hours for work and getting things done?
Some people seem to think their way of doing things, all things, must be the morally superior way.

Old 03-01-2024, 02:52 PM

2,024 posts, read 979,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninella View Post
"Bent"? Why do people think getting up early and going to bed early makes them an adult and better more productive person, and us nightgowns are lazy and immature, even though both types of people get the same amount sleep, and the same amount of hours for work and getting things done? .
Never said that but thanks!

Old 03-01-2024, 03:58 PM

44,348 posts, read 20,049,980 times
This thread has been cleaned up. Folks, please remember to stay on topic. Re-read the opening post if necessary. Thanks.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 03-01-2024, 08:15 PM

1,824 posts, read 796,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
Over the age of, say 40.

Someone who feels compelled to stay up late for no apparent reason, night after night?

I was way more familiar with it in my teens and 20s, when going to bed before 11pm seemed to be a crime.

But now in our 40s and 50s I wonder what the compulsion is. FOMO? Sleep cycle issues?

Interested in thoughts.

It isn't a compulsion, it just is, like having blue eyes. It's part of the person's genetic makeup is what I believe.

I have always wondered about people who insist on getting up at or before dawn, unless they are farmers or have to because of work. So there's that.

Old 03-01-2024, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
It isn't a compulsion, it just is, like having blue eyes. It's part of the person's genetic makeup is what I believe.

I have always wondered about people who insist on getting up at or before dawn, unless they are farmers or have to because of work. So there's that.
This is why.

Old 03-02-2024, 01:18 AM

1,824 posts, read 796,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
This is why
Nah.
Sunsets are equally beautiful

Old 03-02-2024, 03:34 AM

23,212 posts, read 29,023,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet Christie View Post
I'm an extreme night owl. I try to get to bed by 3 a.m. I'd be happiest staying up til 7 or 8 a.m., but then it'd be too difficult to re-adjust when I need to keep more "normal" hours for appointments, etc.

I'm sure it has something to do with my circadian rhythms.
I worked the night shift for 20 years, 10p-6a, and, now retired, I can't get back to normal. I love being up all night, going to bed around 6-7am.

At night, all the ugliness of the world disappears. One big plus!

Old 03-02-2024, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I worked the night shift for 20 years, 10p-6a, and, now retired, I can't get back to normal. I love being up all night, going to bed around 6-7am.

At night, all the ugliness of the world disappears. One big plus!
The Phantom sang a song about that.

https://youtu.be/77umP7IRxD4?si=wYutGgB9-T8FeNSW
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology