Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2024, 02:42 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times

Advertisements

I remember burning the candle at both ends in my 20s and 30s. Life was a blur then, raising kids and with a full time job. I had only evenings after the kids were in bed to have ME time.

Now, I’m retired and can do what I darn please, and I go to bed early, read for awhile and get up with the sun. I’d hate to miss the peaceful mornings.

Old 03-05-2024, 02:49 PM

2,020 posts, read 976,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
If they’re ‘compelled’ or ‘bent’ on doing so, I’d say it has to do with a mental health issue; depression, bipolar, anxiety and psychosis can cause insomnia or sleep disturbances. It’s certainly different than one who wants to sleep (and maintains a regular sleep schedule, more or less) but can’t or those of us who only stay up past 11 or 11:30 on the weekend because there is a reason to do so.

At 50, I now see (and appreciate) the difference a good night’s sleep makes whereas in my twenties and thirties, I didn’t. Even then, though, I wasn’t ‘compelled’ or ‘bent’ on staying up late; I just prioritized my social (and work) life whereas now I’m more inclined to make it home earlier, as a whole.
A meaningful response.

My use of the word "compulsion" was to convey the situation where the impetus to stay up is simply rooted in some notion that "it's only 8 o'clock," or "it's too early to go to bed!" and not something related to naturally-fluctuating sleep cycle or something like that. When it's just about a thought that certain times are simply too early.

Old 03-05-2024, 02:50 PM

8,659 posts, read 3,853,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
This mysterious person may be retired or unemployed or do shift work. We have no reason to believe he or she isn't getting a full 8 hours of sleep out of 24.
Again, I simply responded to the OP’s question as written (and how I interpreted it). Either way, general information relative to such (and the likelihood of there being a psychological problem/sleep disturbance) is certainly relevant to this thread and a psychology forum, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
know people that are bent on staying up late?
Quote:
But now in our 40s and 50s I wonder what the compulsion is. FOMO? Sleep cycle issues?
Quote:
My use of the word "compulsion" was to convey the situation where the impetus to stay up is simply rooted in some notion that "it's only 8 o'clock," or "it's too early to go to bed!" and not something related to naturally-fluctuating sleep cycle or something like that. When it's just about a thought that certain times are simply too early.
Okay, but the use of the words ‘bent on’ and ‘compulsion’ certainly implied a psychological dysfunction regarding a specific situation (as does ‘impetus to stay up’ as well as the forum you chose, for that matter).

That said, are you looking for feedback relative to yourself or ‘asking for a friend’?

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 03-05-2024 at 03:31 PM.. Reason: added second quote/response

Old 03-05-2024, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I remember burning the candle at both ends in my 20s and 30s. Life was a blur then, raising kids and with a full time job. I had only evenings after the kids were in bed to have ME time.

Now, I’m retired and can do what I darn please, and I go to bed early, read for awhile and get up with the sun. I’d hate to miss the peaceful mornings.
Yeah, night times were just decompressing, they were never really much solace to me compared to early mornings which I love (as do others here, apparently).

Old 03-07-2024, 01:20 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post

I remember those days, too. My daughter's toddler years are foggy in my memory because I never had enough sleep. She didn't sleep much at night, and I had to get up early, drive her to my mother's, then start my long two-train commute. I was perpetually exhausted. But, hey, I survived it.

I am one who loves early morning now.

Old 03-09-2024, 11:06 AM

3,253 posts, read 1,739,106 times
@Mightyqueen801 I just realized I haven't seen a sunrise since I retired. There were a few spots along my morning commute where I could watch the sun come up. I'm in the deep woods now surrounded by tall pines. the only advantage I have now is the early morning birdsongs. Not a bad trade off though. I can't wait for the weather to warm up enough to have breakfast out on the back deck and really enjoy the concert.
Nice pics.

Old 03-11-2024, 05:35 AM

966 posts, read 514,798 times
Why would you categorize staying up late w/ a compulsion??? Maybe someone just has a different internal clock. Some people are night owls, and some people are early risers and go to be early. That's really all there is to it.

Old 03-11-2024, 06:42 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,362,964 times
Quote:
Yeah, night times were just decompressing, they were never really much solace to me compared to early mornings which I love (as do others here, apparently).
As someone who's been a natural night owl, I've always resented the idea that "the early bird gets the worm" is some kind of universal truth that signifies seriousness or adulthood. Early mornings are awful for me, but late nights are wonderful. I do not understand wanting to go to bed early and get up at 5 am. That does not make me lazy. I'm lucky that I have a flexible work schedule, so I can go in at 9:30 and work until 6, and my colleagues who want to start at 7 can do that, too. Their schedule isn't better, though.

Old 03-11-2024, 08:55 AM

16,070 posts, read 10,729,796 times
Around 10:30 - 11 PM I turn off the TV. The house gets quiet. All lights are off but three or four low lights. I get a drink. Sit down on the couch and listen to an audiobook. The cat will curl up close by. I’ll go to bed about 1 or 1:30 and wake up rested about 8:30. I’m retired and live alone so I don’t have to be anywhere in the morning. Some people enjoy that quiet time. Others enjoy seeing the sun rise.

Old 03-11-2024, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
Why would you categorize staying up late w/ a compulsion??? Maybe someone just has a different internal clock. Some people are night owls, and some people are early risers and go to be early. That's really all there is to it.
I asked if anyone knew someone who felt this way.

I asked because sometimes I've witnessed it where someone was nodding off constantly, but wouldn't actually go to bed because they thought it was "too early," as if there's some rule about when people of a certain age should not go to bed. So i was curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology