Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2024, 03:42 PM

2,020 posts, read 976,503 times

Advertisements

Over the age of, say 40.

Someone who feels compelled to stay up late for no apparent reason, night after night?

I was way more familiar with it in my teens and 20s, when going to bed before 11pm seemed to be a crime.

But now in our 40s and 50s I wonder what the compulsion is. FOMO? Sleep cycle issues?

Interested in thoughts.

Old 02-26-2024, 04:31 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
I've never really suffered sleep cycle issues though I have gone through very temporary stress-related sleep deficiency. I have a couple of remedies for that, that work quite well.

Someone who's retired or works their own hours at home may find themselves sleeping later in the mornings which ends up enabling them to stay up later that night. Their circadian rhythm/waking hours simply shifted because they don't have a morning alarm clock compelling them to hit the sack earlier. Then the pattern reinforces itself: stay up late, sleep in late...

Before on demand became a thing, I'd find myself staying up late on non-work nights to read or watch old movies that never seemed to air in prime time.

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-26-2024 at 04:46 PM..

Old 02-26-2024, 04:43 PM

1,701 posts, read 781,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
Over the age of, say 40.

Someone who feels compelled to stay up late for no apparent reason, night after night?

I was way more familiar with it in my teens and 20s, when going to bed before 11pm seemed to be a crime.

But now in our 40s and 50s I wonder what the compulsion is. FOMO? Sleep cycle issues?

Interested in thoughts.
If this person is you, or someone you know… try Melatonin. It’s non habit forming and generally safe if used properly. Also, do a sleep study for sleep apnea because sometimes this is the cause of restlessness.

Old 02-26-2024, 07:16 PM

42 posts, read 19,435 times
I'm an extreme night owl. I try to get to bed by 3 a.m. I'd be happiest staying up til 7 or 8 a.m., but then it'd be too difficult to re-adjust when I need to keep more "normal" hours for appointments, etc.

I'm sure it has something to do with my circadian rhythms.

Old 02-26-2024, 07:36 PM

22,561 posts, read 47,614,734 times
I am in bed between 10:30 PM and 11:00 PM. I have no idea if anybody stays up late!

As a heads up, melatonin only works if you have a deficit. Otherwise, you were just wasting your money. Unless you think the placebo effect is worth it

Old 02-26-2024, 07:49 PM

503 posts, read 258,405 times
I am retired. I don't feel at all compelled. I go to bed whenever I feel like it. And I get up whenever I feel like it.

Typically 11:30 pm and 8 am ( or 9 ) ( or sometimes 10 ).

I have trouble getting to sleep, so I wait until I feel like I might be able to sleep. That is usually between 11 and 12. Sometimes a bit later.

The only reason I bother to get up at all is that there is so much to do that I enjoy. If I feel like it.

Ah, yes, melatonin. For me usually does not work, so I don't bother. Same with "blue light" glasses ...

And surely I do not know what "bent" means in this context. Are some people actually determined to stay up ? I can think of more useful things to be determined about.

Old 02-26-2024, 09:01 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
Over the age of, say 40.

Interested in thoughts.
Literally, one of the main reasons I chose to work in movie theatres was that I have always been a late riser, and generally been awake until well after midnight. When a movie theatre has a midnight show, the crew usually gets to go home sometime around 2:15 AM. I was fine with that. My best sleeping is often after 7 AM. This morning I was dreaming a fabulous movie that got interrupted by my waking around 10 AM.

I could go to bed early, but I would just stay awake most nights until after midnight.

I have sometimes wondered if, for most people, the middle of the night waking, and late sleep cycles were a survival technique, where the oldsters acted as night watch to protect the youngers.

FWIW, It isn't a compulsion, it is simply the way I am.

Old 02-26-2024, 09:14 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
I am in bed way after 2 AM. All my life I was a night owl.
Some people just are.
I always was my own boss and made my life around my sleeping preferences.
It doesn't mean that I am unable to get up really early in the morning when I have to, or sleep past noon every day. But I like to get up around 9 AM, get breakfast, and start my day without a hassle and hurry.
I appreciate quiet time after 9 -10 PM to finish tasks that require sharp and clear mind.

It's is largely genetic, but our age, environment, and activity level can all influence it.
Most people feel awake when it is light and sleepy when it is dark, but the specific timing of these schedules can vary from person to person. That variability is what is known as a chronotype.
Chronotypes lie on a spectrum, and most people fall somewhere in between.

Chronotypes are reflected at a physiological level, all the way down to the central nervous system.

It's explained here
https://www.sleepfoundation.org/slee...morning-person

It has absolutely nothing to do with any kind of determination.

Last edited by elnina; 02-26-2024 at 10:40 PM..

Old 02-27-2024, 07:59 AM

13,705 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Some folks are night owls. I had a great aunt that kept the hours of a college student in her retirement. I would call her when I was in college, often after 10 PM at night, she was in her 80's.

My wife likes to go to bed early, at or before 10 or so. I go to bed a little later, though she's often awake watching videos on her phone.

Old 02-27-2024, 08:09 AM

12,833 posts, read 9,029,433 times
I was always an early bird for most of my life. But as I've gotten older, it's gotten harder to just "fall asleep" at the same time I used to. It's like my body has shifted its rhyme. With retirement I no longer have to follow a schedule, so I just go to bed when my body is ready.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology