Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2022, 02:50 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,263,242 times

Advertisements

I believe the rule is you have to sleep, cook and toilet on the RV as well as have an address. How having the house built may complicate the issue..... don't know.

I love how a financial question gets replies on OP's marital relationship. Good grief
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2022, 02:55 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
That's what the article I linked said, and building on the land wouldn't affect the rule at all.

On the other forum on which the OP posted about this situation, his main complaint was that he hated it there due to isolation and loneliness. Apparently his wife is gone a lot, and yet she's the one insisting on building there as an investment. Sounds like a relationship, or at least communication, issue to me... As Oprah said, it's never really about the socks on the floor.

Add to that the fact that he's talking to us about it and not to her.

Last edited by otterhere; 11-16-2022 at 03:11 PM..

Old 11-16-2022, 03:39 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,577,063 times
Interesting decision to build on the lake, and the side of the lake which puts you into isolation. Do you feel that you really didn't know yourself well at all? Wouldn't most people realize ahead of such a decision that he or she would find the set-up too lonely and isolated? Seems like more than a change of heart.

Also you say that your wife thought you would like the set-up as an escape from Philly - it sounds like your wife was the motivator and power behind the decision rather than yourself.

Last edited by matisse12; 11-16-2022 at 03:47 PM..

Old 11-16-2022, 04:16 PM

9,439 posts, read 5,201,523 times
It appears you were not ready to leave the city environment for the country. It might have been a better idea to rent a place on or near the lake to see how you actually fared in the rural environment. It also seems that you are driven by your wife's wishes even as you are not happy and under a lot of stress due to these costs. Sounds like a time for a serious sit down. You want to be comfortable with few worries as you enter this next phase of your life, not in debt up to your eyeballs in a place where you are not happy. There's good advice here and if it were me, I'd flesh all this out with the wife, finish the house, sell it and buy the next place outright - or rent first to see if you can acclimate to the area.
Good luck.

Old 11-16-2022, 04:31 PM

9,439 posts, read 5,201,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Retirement is the time to spend and enjoy the money you built and saved over the years; not the time for investing. Sounds like you and wife are on two different pages. Marriage counseling! It's clear that you really do NOT want to live there...
Amen. At least hubs and I agree on living a simple life in our simple home that is fully paid for. If we leave this state, which I'd like to do, we would want to purchase the next place outright. No debt, no mortgage, other than monthly bills.

Old 11-16-2022, 04:59 PM

840 posts, read 692,356 times
We couldnt rent (trust me we tried) due to having cats. People will rent to you if you have dogs but not cats, even when theyre fixed.

Additionally, I've never lived in a rural area, when we lived around Detroit we would camp up north and I enjoyed it quite a bit, never realized living up here would be a different story. Most of the lake is quite a distance from any towns, so not much of a choice but to be isolated a bit.

My wife and I actually had a long (phone) discussion about it tonight, her take is that we're stuck for atleast another year due to tax ramifications so that I shouldnt let it bother me. maybe its just my personality to worry lol. I dream of living the life most of you live with no debt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
It appears you were not ready to leave the city environment for the country. It might have been a better idea to rent a place on or near the lake to see how you actually fared in the rural environment. It also seems that you are driven by your wife's wishes even as you are not happy and under a lot of stress due to these costs. Sounds like a time for a serious sit down. You want to be comfortable with few worries as you enter this next phase of your life, not in debt up to your eyeballs in a place where you are not happy. There's good advice here and if it were me, I'd flesh all this out with the wife, finish the house, sell it and buy the next place outright - or rent first to see if you can acclimate to the area.
Good luck.

Old 11-16-2022, 05:12 PM

So is she amenable to selling and moving when the two years are up, or is she hoping you'll have learned to love isolation by then? Did you reach any resolution or just kick the can down the road?

Old 11-16-2022, 06:06 PM

5,966 posts, read 3,711,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpranger467 View Post
We couldnt rent (trust me we tried) due to having cats. People will rent to you if you have dogs but not cats, even when theyre fixed.

Additionally, I've never lived in a rural area, when we lived around Detroit we would camp up north and I enjoyed it quite a bit, never realized living up here would be a different story. Most of the lake is quite a distance from any towns, so not much of a choice but to be isolated a bit.

My wife and I actually had a long (phone) discussion about it tonight, her take is that we're stuck for atleast another year due to tax ramifications so that I shouldnt let it bother me. maybe its just my personality to worry lol. I dream of living the life most of you live with no debt.
As I explained in my post above, you're NOT stuck by the 2-year tax limitation. That applies only to cases in which you make a PROFIT. Even then, it's not the end of the world. It simply means that you pay taxes on your profit, if any. If there's no profit, you pay ZILCH.

I don't know what stage of completion your house is right now, but from the sound of the situation, it would be a smart decision to sell it now, even at a loss, in order to maintain your health and your sanity.

Old 11-16-2022, 06:13 PM

24,479 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpranger467 View Post

We have had bigger than usual cats for a long time and no problem besides fees when we rented short term.

It sounds like the conversation was a conversation. Nothing changes. Your last sentence makes no sense. Can you rephrase please?

Old 11-16-2022, 06:13 PM

It's not "just your personality to worry." It SHOULD bother you, and you SHOULD worry. Are you being gaslighted? Maybe this belongs in "Romantic Relationships."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate