Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 06:28 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,376,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
I'm sure that pork in a crock pot is fine and dandy but to even begin to call that kind of meal "BBQ" is a crime and to think that fajitas can be made in a crock pot is also ridiculous. Crock pot recipes are fine but don't try to pretend you're making these fine dishes that way. Shame on you. Next I guess I'll be hearing of tamale pies being made in a frigging crock pot ! What's a tamale pie anyway, (should be outlawed !) Just remember that BBQ is sacred and the name should not be used in vain !!!!!
Don't get your panties in a bind! Crock pot cooking is for the days when things are crazy and you don't want to feed your family fast food. Don't worry, you don't have to eat it. My crock pot cooking doesn't hold a candle to real BBQ, but hey, its an easy meal and somedays we all need that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 07:40 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,484,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthesierras View Post
Don't get your panties in a bind! Crock pot cooking is for the days when things are crazy and you don't want to feed your family fast food. Don't worry, you don't have to eat it. My crock pot cooking doesn't hold a candle to real BBQ, but hey, its an easy meal and somedays we all need that!
Amen. My slow cooker cooking helped raise fine young men. As the owner of a cooking website and message board I can tell you that good food is cooked and prepared in a variety of ways. Slow cooking is traced back to ancient times when our ancestors cooked food in clay pots in banked fires. Bon appetit!

Old 08-29-2007, 09:36 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,700,000 times
My favorite crock pot meal is pinto beans. Just put a pound of dried beans (after cleaning and rinsing) in the pot with some cut up salt pork and cover with 3 or 4 inches of water. Put it on low and leave it for up to 12 hours. The beans will probably be done much sooner, but the flavor from the salt pork gets better the longer they're in. When you get home from work, make some cornbread. Yum!! You may have to have been raised poor in South Texas to appreciate it....

Old 08-29-2007, 02:39 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,484,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
My favorite crock pot meal is pinto beans. Just put a pound of dried beans (after cleaning and rinsing) in the pot with some cut up salt pork and cover with 3 or 4 inches of water. Put it on low and leave it for up to 12 hours. The beans will probably be done much sooner, but the flavor from the salt pork gets better the longer they're in. When you get home from work, make some cornbread. Yum!! You may have to have been raised poor in South Texas to appreciate it....
Hubby does those too and he is from Texas! We also put in raw onion and lots of spices. Yummy!

Old 08-29-2007, 08:11 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,205,511 times
OMG-my crock pot will now have permanent spot on my kitchen counter!

No more pizza and McD for us!

(Okay, pizza sometimes!)

Old 08-29-2007, 10:21 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,210,004 times
There are many great things to cook in a crockpot. Many of them already mentioned. Here are my favs....

Roast Beef that makes its own gravy.....Put roast in crock, season with salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder. Pat enough flour on roast to lightly cover. In a bowl, mix 1 packet beefy onion soup mix, 1 can cream of mushroom soup, 1 cup beef broth and 2 T. worchestershire sauce. Pour over roast and cook until roast is falling apart tender. Makes its own gravy. Serve over rice or potatoes.

Barbeque Roast - Put roast in crock. Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder. Mix 1 can of cola, 12 oz bottle chili sauce, and 2 T. worchestershire sauce. Pour over roast and cook.

London Broil is great cooked in enchilada sauce in the crockpot.

Blackeyed Peas - soak a pound of black eyed peas overnight or 8 hours. Rinse several times - you will not get gas if you do this. Put in crock. Add a can of beef broth, a packet of onion soup mix and about 4 cups water or enough to cover. Cook until tender. You can also add smoked ham or smoked turkey wings for excellent flavor. Serve over rice.

Black Beans - Soak a pound of black beans overnight or 8 hours. Rinse several times. Put beans in crock. Add chopped onion, garlic, chili powder, cumin and oregano to taste. Add a can of chicken broth and cover with water. Serve over white or yellow rice.

Stew a whole chicken or chicken pieces in the crockpot. When you get home - take the chicken off the bone, put in a large saucepan with the broth and add rice, dumplings or noodles for a great one dish dinner.

I even make ham in the crockpot. Slice a turkey ham, put back together and place in crock. Make a thick topping of brown sugar with a little pineapple juice. Pour over ham. Place pineapple slices and cherries over ham. Glaze with apricot jelly. Heat through.

Last night I did a turkey breast in the crockpot. Place breast in crock, season with salt, pepper, onion salt. Put 4 T. butter in crock and add just enough water to cover the bottom of the crock about 1/8 inch.

Another good turkey recipe is to mix 1 can of cranberry sauce and 1 packet of onion soup mix. Pour over the turkey and cook.

Try chicken breasts, seasoned with your favorite seasonings and cooked in Italian dressing.

Of course, chilis, beef stews, soups are all great in the crockpot. The sky is the limit and it's so great to have all this food ready when you get home from work. Otherwise many nights I would be picking up the phone for delivery!

Old 08-30-2007, 10:01 AM

13,400 posts, read 28,717,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
I am sure it can. I freeze everything. I do have a vacuum sealer but I don't know why you can't freeze it for a bit with a regular freezer bag. I am telling you that you will love this super simple recipe and your house will smell amazing! The men I serve this to especially love it. Enjoy!

Any type of beef roast?? what do you usually use...chuck, eye round???
This will be on the Football Menu for sure

Old 08-30-2007, 11:56 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,418,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Any type of beef roast?? what do you usually use...chuck, eye round???
This will be on the Football Menu for sure
I find that rump roast works best for crock pot bbq beef - just make sure it is fresh and not something you have frozen before, or it wont shred well even after 14 hours of cooking (this happend to me - once).

And thanks to pianogal for sharing some obviously easy to make but very yummy-sounding recipes! I can't wait to try a few!

Old 08-30-2007, 12:26 PM

13,400 posts, read 28,717,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I find that rump roast works best for crock pot bbq beef - just make sure it is fresh and not something you have frozen before, or it wont shred well even after 14 hours of cooking (this happend to me - once).

And thanks to pianogal for sharing some obviously easy to make but very yummy-sounding recipes! I can't wait to try a few!
Thanks and thanks also for the tip on fresh

yes I agree great recipes BUT how long do you crock for??

Old 08-30-2007, 12:57 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,418,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Thanks and thanks also for the tip on fresh

yes I agree great recipes BUT how long do you crock for??
I usually crock for as long as it takes for the meat to be falling apart, or use the nose test (this can be done once you've been crocking for a while). Basically, there comes a point, after about 4 hours with the high setting, and about 8 hours with the low, when the smell of the food is so good you just can't wait to eat anymore - and that's when it's done!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes