Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 07:57 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,290,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jco View Post
Someone shared this with me once, and it is an awesome meal. I've made it for others, and they love it too! As a variation, I use low salt soy sauce and a can of water. You can also sub ground pepper for pepper corns. My sister uses low sodium beef broth and likes it even more!

1 beef chuck roast (about 3lbs)
2 cups of water
1/2 cup soy sauce
1t. dried rosemary
1t. dried thyme
1t. garlic powder
1 bay leaf
3-4 whole pepper corns

8 french rolls

place roast in crock pot. Add water, soy sauce & seasonings. cover and cook on high for at least 6 hours until beef is tender. remove beef from crock pot and shred with forks. keep warm. strain broth and skim off fat. use broth for dipping. fill rolls with beef and enjoy!
I actually made this recipe this morning, funny that it is the first one posted here. I get it from a Betty Crocker cookbook, so I believe that is where it originates. I change it slightly.

I increase the liquid to 3 cups. We must like a lot of dip, because 2 just isn't enough.

Also, I substitute either red wine or dark beer (stout, brown ale, or porter) for half of the water, or use beef broth, depending on what I have on hand. I have made it using just water, but adding something with flavor makes a big difference IMO. I think of those red wine adds the best flavor to this dish.

We also add cheese to the sandwiches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2016, 05:11 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Oh thanks I've been using the same heavy ceramic crock pot since the 80s. It's wonderful and I haven't died from it yet but now I'll be wondering how much time I have left whenever I use it.

I've been using the same one from the 70s, and we're all still here. BTW, you can always test for lead ( leaching lead is the problem). Some online worriers have tested multiple old cookers, and found no lead. And some choose to use crock pot liners.

Old 10-12-2016, 05:44 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
I actually made this recipe this morning, funny that it is the first one posted here. I get it from a Betty Crocker cookbook, so I believe that is where it originates. I change it slightly.

I increase the liquid to 3 cups. We must like a lot of dip, because 2 just isn't enough.

Also, I substitute either red wine or dark beer (stout, brown ale, or porter) for half of the water, or use beef broth, depending on what I have on hand. I have made it using just water, but adding something with flavor makes a big difference IMO. I think of those red wine adds the best flavor to this dish.

We also add cheese to the sandwiches.
I'm thinking adding mozzarella cheese and running it under the broiler might be goodBut you would really have to watch it. Otherwise what kind of cheese do you use for dipped beef sandwich?

Old 10-12-2016, 10:50 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,290,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I'm thinking adding mozzarella cheese and running it under the broiler might be goodBut you would really have to watch it. Otherwise what kind of cheese do you use for dipped beef sandwich?
I usually go with Swiss or provolone. I'm sure mozz would probably be good too!

Old 10-12-2016, 01:18 PM

1,970 posts, read 2,233,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephM View Post
I made this the other day and it was AMAZING> The beef made its own gravy, the kids and husband went bananas over it.

Mississippi Roast

1 chuck roast

1 packet dry Ranch dressing mix

1 packet Au Jus mix

1 stick butter

5 pepperoncini peppers

Add all ingredients into a slow cooker; cook on low for 8-10 hours. Shred and serve with your favorite sides (mashed potatoes and/or rice are delicious!)
I'm making this now -- minimum of 8 hours on LOW. I cut down the butter to half a stick and increase the banana peppers to an entire, small six-ounce jar. I also add one TBSP of dried dill to add more flavor.

I use a 3 pound cut of beef. Serve with mashed potatoes.

You may also thicken the sauce afterward in a sauce pan with corn starch, but I like the sauce kind of loose.

Old 10-12-2016, 08:04 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,524,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
I've been using the same one from the 70s, and we're all still here. BTW, you can always test for lead ( leaching lead is the problem). Some online worriers have tested multiple old cookers, and found no lead. And some choose to use crock pot liners.
Wow, it's still working? Mine from the 70's died a few years ago after many years of faithful service. It had an "automatic" setting that switched from higher to lower temps during the cooking process. I don't think my newer one is nearly as good.

As a working parent, I remember coming home from a long day & opening the house to the welcome smell of a cooked meal, & I knew what we were eating, just good, fresh food, because I had put it there.

Favorites...beef stew, turkey soup (from the Thanksgiving carcass), navy bean soup, split pea soup, spaghetti sauce, chili, pot roast, lima beans & ham, blackeyed peas, corned beef & cabbage, chicken & rice, "kitchen sink" soup, off the top of my head.

Old 10-12-2016, 09:46 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Tripe-soup..............10 ounces of tripe, garlic, red chili peppers, brocolli.

Old 03-03-2024, 08:10 PM

2,041 posts, read 990,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Zombie thread bump. I used a vintage crock pot for years until I noticed tons of spidery cracks in the enamel. Research taught me that's not a good sign, including any type of fired ceramic cookware/dishes. I didn't test it, I just bought another crock.

Came across this recipe in an old slow cooker cookbook I bought. Bananas in soup? I had never tried it before either, but it turned out pretty good. Will make again.

https://www.food.com/recipe/caribbea...bananas-174961
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes