Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2019, 01:28 PM

21,017 posts, read 19,499,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
This is sooo true! The other day I was thinking about how so many non-believers have no clue as to WHO God or Jesus is.
They simply dismiss without actually seeking the answers!
Hi Mink
Ah, but they don't need to, imo. Why have a clue of something you don't believe exists?
Right?
It's the BELIEVERS that don't have a clue, I mean many not all...

They look at picture of a puppy from Kansas, get some history about it and say,
they ''are in love with this puppy'' they'll be getting in 6 more weeks.
They have NO clue about this puppy until they get to know him.
You must know something to love it. (I'm talking about true love.)

Most believers have an idea and a concept about God - they read what others have written -
they get a warm, fuzzy,
inspiring 'feeeeeling' and now they say they are in love
with this God they don't understand or know except from the fear-based concepts of
the primitive writings of
superstitious people that did not even know where the sun went when it disappeared. C'mon.

(Some have had an intimate experience of God or Jesus or Krishna or their angel - better
than 'blind faith'.)
Faith is ok, I am not mocking faith - but, for Pete's sake - know what you are having faith in.
it's a point I make a lot. If a person is a believer, if they have not
been still to know God - I don't pay much attention to what they say. Sorry, guys.
'Put in the time and you'll gain my respect'...and not from other people's writings, either.)
Ok, I'm done...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2019, 01:50 PM

21,017 posts, read 19,499,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
Romans 11:33
Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God!
How unsearchable are his judgments and how unfathomable his ways!
Good one. :')
And yet - I would say that is said to your everyday Joe.

But, then, you have the 1 in a 1000 - that has been still - that has done what the Lord said in Jeremiah 9---''...know and understand me."
David knew amazing things when he wrote PS 139...your everyday Joe wasn't shown these wondrous insights.

I will add for your enjoyment: Jeremiah 33:3 'Call to me and I will answer you and
tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.'

And this, before Jesus, ha!

Rem he said at the last supper to these slow disciples:
--- 'I have many things to tell you but you can not bear (grasp) them now.' ---John somewhere.

So, of course, even after 3 yrs with Jesus, oy - imagine what 'everyday Joe' couldn't grasp---
most things were a mystery!!!

Old 12-30-2019, 01:56 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Good one. :')
And yet - I would say that is said to your everyday Joe.

But, then, you have the 1 in a 1000 - that has been still - that has done what the Lord said in Jeremiah 9---''...know and understand me."
David knew amazing things when he wrote PS 139...your everyday Joe wasn't shown these wondrous insights.

I will add for your enjoyment: Jeremiah 33:3 'Call to me and I will answer you and
tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.'

And this, before Jesus, ha!

Rem he said at the last supper to these slow disciples:
--- 'I have many things to tell you but you can not bear (grasp) them now.' ---John somewhere.

So, of course, even after 3 yrs with Jesus - imagine what 'everyday Joe' couldn't grasp---
most things were a mystery!!!
The point of bringing it up is that when things are not explainable or those who say they know god yet can't make sense of things that he does or allows then they present this get out jail card. The problem is that god is not falsifiable - anything that happens is just the way it is supposed to be in order to maintain their belief and avoid any cognitive dissonance. They can rationalization any scenario where their god get off the hook. It was not brought up to counter that the Bible does not say that you can know him.

The Bible says all kinds of nonsense anyways. If you want to believe it good for you but don't think that it makes sense to people that actually can read it and then look out into the world and see the reality of life - which counters so much of the theology that is constantly spread on this forum.

Last edited by 2K5Gx2km; 12-30-2019 at 02:29 PM..

Old 12-30-2019, 02:20 PM

4,644 posts, read 1,817,823 times
Quote:

The Bible says all kinds of nonsense anyways.
So mercy, forgiveness, treating others the way YOU would want to be treated, having compassion for people, having self-control, curbing your anger, practicing brotherly love (to name a few virtues) is "nonsense"?

Have you actually READ it?

Old 12-30-2019, 02:26 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
So mercy, forgiveness, treating others the way YOU would want to be treated, having compassion for people, having self-control, curbing your anger, practicing brotherly love (to name a few virtues) is "nonsense"?

Have you actually READ it?

Yeah I have! And where did I specifically say those things were nonsense? Nice cherry picking and strawman.

Old 12-30-2019, 02:32 PM

4,644 posts, read 1,817,823 times
Quote:
Yeah I have! And where did I specifically say those things were nonsense? Nice cherry picking and strawman.
You wrote "The Bible. You generalized, as if the WHOLE Bible is "nonsense". I didn't cherry pick. I simply gave a few examples of how "The Bible" isn't filled with "nonsense".

Old 12-30-2019, 02:38 PM

4,466 posts, read 1,620,573 times
Quote:
...which is to say, that you don't have any proof at all. You're just guessing.
Serious question here, Mink. Are you daft? If you aren't (and I am assuming you aren't), then you know, just as phet said, that where you grow up and what beliefs your family holds, are the two most important things in determining what religion you adhere to. Are you claiming otherwise?

Old 12-30-2019, 03:20 PM

1,096 posts, read 422,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Serious question here, Mink. Are you daft? If you aren't (and I am assuming you aren't), then you know, just as phet said, that where you grow up and what beliefs your family holds, are the two most important things in determining what religion you adhere to. Are you claiming otherwise?
That used to be largely true. That is less true with each passing day. As the world becomes more global so does the wealth of spiritual information out there. People can now choose for themselves. I did back in the 80s.

Old 12-30-2019, 03:22 PM

51,207 posts, read 24,667,670 times
Quote:
...which is to say, that you don't have any proof at all. You're just guessing.
I suggest you ask 25 of your christian if they grew up in a household that was NOT christian.

You know it's true.

But fine...you want proof -- 85.6% of Americans stay with their childhood religion (https://www.pewforum.org/2015/05/12/...intermarriage/)

Old 12-30-2019, 03:26 PM

51,207 posts, read 24,667,670 times
Quote:
This is sooo true! The other day I was thinking about how so many non-believers have no clue as to WHO God or Jesus is. They simply dismiss without actually seeking the answers!
So you have proof of that or are you merely guessing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality