Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2019, 10:45 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,935,370 times

Advertisements

These are a straightforward questions I have never been able to get an answer to:

If God really wanted us all to believe Jesus is His son who was born into this world for the sole purpose of dying for our sins to save us from hell, then wouldn't God have done everything in His power to leave behind secular evidence so overwhelming that only a fool or a madman would deny Jesus was divine? Wouldn't God have made sure that every historian in Jesus' time had heard of or witnessed Jesus' death and resurrection and ascension and then written about it? Wouldn't God have seen to it that these accounts were perfectly preserved just as all 8 volumes of Julius Caesar's Bellum Gallicum (Gallic Wars) was? Wouldn't God have made absolutely certain that the original gospel accounts from the apostles had been perfectly preserved for future generations so that we had first-hand testimony of what Jesus said and did?

Why instead did God allow whatever might have been written about Jesus by a known historian to be completely lost or destroyed? Why did 50-100 years have to transpire before someone finally decided to write the gospels, and these weren't even from eyewitnesses--they were Greek Christian scholars writing in perfect Koine Greek? And if they had no eyewitnesses or written testimonies to get their information from then how did they know the incredible minute details that appear in their accounts? How, for example did Luke know that an angel appeared to Jesus to comfort him in the Garden of Gethsemane when there were no witnesses to this miraculous event? Further, no manuscripts of any of the New Testament writings surface until the middle/late part of the 2nd Century. Why is that if God was divinely guiding the transmission of information about Jesus?

No rational person reading these questions would be able to come to any sort of sensible conclusion other than that God simply didn't care if people believed in Jesus or not. And if that is the only sensible conclusion one can arrive at, then isn't it also sensible to conclude that Jesus wasn't even on a mission to save mankind from eternal damnation--that he likely was just an ordinary man who was crucified and died and decades later churchman used him as a mascot to build up their fledgling religion?

I truly hope some brave Christian(s) can step forward and answer my question directly and to the point without giving all sorts of smoke and mirrors to hide the fact they have no rational explanation for God's culpable neglect if man's salvation depends on believing in Jesus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2019, 10:58 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
His ways are past finding out, he works in mysterious ways - ya know!

Old 12-30-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post

You're telling me!!

I expect this to be the shortest thread in CD history. I don't think any Christian is able to sensibly answer these questions, other than what you say.

Old 12-30-2019, 11:01 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Why did 50-100 years have to transpire before someone finally decided to write the gospels...
Because Jesus was supposed to come back within a generation or two. That failed! And here we are approximately 2,000 years later and no sign of him! Wonder why?

Old 12-30-2019, 11:03 AM

2,974 posts, read 1,985,947 times
...my faith is mine...i have no interest or no need to 'answer your questions directly', or answer them at all...if you don't believe, that's fine...if you're searching for some answers, that's fine as well...but it sounds more like you're looking for a dust up, i'll pass...

Old 12-30-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
...my faith is mine...i have no interest or no need to 'answer your questions directly', or answer them at all...if you don't believe, that's fine...if you're searching for some answers, that's fine as well...but it sounds more like you're looking for a dust up, i'll pass...

Wait, Justus, just answer me this: if you don't need any proof for your beliefs why not just become a Buddhist? It's a hell of a lot easier path to tread.

Old 12-30-2019, 11:09 AM

16,798 posts, read 4,996,217 times
Quote:
Why instead did God allow whatever might have been written about Jesus by a known historian to be completely lost or destroyed? Why did 50-100 years have to transpire before someone finally decided to write the gospels, and these weren't even from eyewitnesses--they were Greek Christian scholars writing in perfect Koine Greek?
Perfect is not the word I would use, especially for Mark. The author may have learnt the classic techniques for writing fiction, but either he was not to good at Greek grammar and spelling, or he wrote that way for some purpose.

Old 12-30-2019, 11:34 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,352,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
Yes. Mysteriously, God's "mysterious ways" regularly mimic the ways of a God who never existed to begin with.

Old 12-30-2019, 11:47 AM

2,974 posts, read 1,985,947 times
Quote:
Wait, Justus, just answer me this: if you don't need any proof for your beliefs why not just become a Buddhist? It's a hell of a lot easier path to tread.

...ah, you think it's about the 'ease' of the path....God bless you...

Old 12-30-2019, 11:56 AM

50,867 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
...ah, you think it's about the 'ease' of the path....God bless you...
That's not what he asked you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality