Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2019, 05:36 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,375,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
Maybe the answer to the OP's question is that God--if you believe in God-- wants some people to believe in Jesus, not all. Others will believe in Hinduism or Buddhism or some other path, with or without a god. Different paths for different people. Some people have a very rational temperament and need proof, so Christianity or any theistic religion may not be for them. Some people are not bothered by the things that bother the OP. Different paths up the same mountain. I pray to Jesus, to God, to Mother Mary, and some of my prayers get answered and some don't. Regardless of outcome, I am answered with the presence of God, and when I can't feel that presence, even the knowledge that I am supported by the ground of being and I am not alone, is enough. That works for me.
So many humans demand PROOF of existence of GOD.. then dismiss multi-other religions who also have a Supreme "Being"?? I find I'm incredulous, that humans ( whether Christian/Muslim/Buddhists/etc) don't even entertain the notion of God is THAT SUPREME Being in ALL Religions???

In the path of life often human's refuse to acknowledge those subtle signs .. IGNORE them, then blame GOD
for allowing horrendous things to happen!! Many threads inquiring about "Why does God allow terrible things to happen?" Instead, us human's are on a short term on this planet, and yet our SOUL will have learned something (evolved) and will be returned again to learn more !

I have always been one who looked into the eyes of fellow human's and believe it or not those "Eye's is a window into their soul"!!

As a HC provider, dealing with the young, battered, injured, life threatened.. I have viewed many folks realizing they are dying..and reached out to me.. I often held their hand, smiled and acknowledged their needs!! Often, upon their death, I felt a relief for them, as their suffering has ended and went on to a much better place! I was there for my dad, my mom, my son.. SO know there is something much greater than ourselves out there awaiting us!

Those, who demand PROOF on earthly level are missing the point of Faith and Belief of those who GET IT!!

I didn't and don't preach to non-believers, but chose to walk the walk, NOT talk the Walk and the only reason I responded here is because I'm reading posts based on those who just don't get what it's ALL ABOUT!

Believe or Don't.. That's a personal life path decision... But for those who do NOT, demeaning of believers is counterproductive to yourself .. It will never diminish anyone who does!!

GOD Speed
Happy New Year to all!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2019, 06:12 PM

5,209 posts, read 1,798,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeemoments View Post
I agree. In my opinion, for spiritual people--whichever path they follow--a big benefit of our practices is that it builds us up to handle whatever comes along. A great many spiritual people pray for strength in hard times. It is a time to get off the treadmill of worry, to allow spirit to wash over us, to be strengthened inside to handle a illness, to spend a few minutes not thinking about the nasty boss and fear of losing a job, or paying bills -- all the stuff of everyday life. We remember that that is not all who we are. We are more than that and life is about more than that. It can be a time of gratitude for what we have. We leave our practices feeling better, strengthened and connected.

I would also say that people tend to look for God on the outside. There is also looking within. That there is nothing outside of ourselves. We are of God or Goddess or Spirit what have you, not separate. When people ask for proof of God in general they mean outside ourselves. That is the error. They don't find it, cause they don't see it is within them. It looks like them. God looks like us.

That's a really good point...looking within.

Old 12-30-2019, 06:16 PM

1,378 posts, read 393,681 times

God just manifests & picks me up & takes me to Heaven & a thousand other places. And God shows me the future of what will happen in the next few days, & it always comes true. Really unbelievable stuff that i would never imagine happening in a million years; does happen exactly as God shows me it will.

So God is a Living Person you have to open your mind & heart to & fully expect Him to manifest to you. He will prove Himself to you all the time. But He will tell you that this is Satan's world & He cannot manifest to the entire world.

Quote:
John 14:21-26 King James Version (KJV)
21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

22 Judas saith unto him, not Iscariot, Lord, how is it that thou wilt manifest thyself unto us, and not unto the world?

23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

24 He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me.

25 These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you.

26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

Old 12-30-2019, 06:28 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
You wrote "The Bible."
Yeah, so! That's because throughout the Bible there are examples of such nonsense. I did not mention any specific such examples and it certainly does not mean that everything in the Bible is nonsense.

Quote:
You generalized, as if the WHOLE Bible is "nonsense".
No, I said "all kinds of nonsense" - how does that mean the WHOLE ENTIRE BIBLE?

Quote:
I didn't cherry pick. I simply gave a few examples of how "The Bible" isn't filled with "nonsense".
You tried to equate my point with your specific examples to try and make it seem that I was saying that such things were nonsense. Huge FAIL! So again where did I write on this thread that those things were nonsense?

Last edited by 2K5Gx2km; 12-30-2019 at 06:38 PM..

Old 12-30-2019, 07:20 PM

19,057 posts, read 27,627,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Serious question here, Mink. Are you daft? If you aren't (and I am assuming you aren't), then you know, just as phet said, that where you grow up and what beliefs your family holds, are the two most important things in determining what religion you adhere to. Are you claiming otherwise?

My son grew in completely atheistic country and family that pursued no religion at all.
One day, he became a believer. Maybe so he thinks, but I know him - he is very sincere in his faith. he never really studied Bible, we do not get into theological arguments. We had a few discussions where I established my parameters, he just nodded his head and asked a few questions. That was it. It didn't speak to him, HIS understanding of Jesus as savior does.

So by no means every believer is ingrown type. Some do simply become Holy Spirited. HaRBORING EVERY PERSON INTO SAME HERD IS SORT OF REALLY NEAR SIGHTED. Plenty others like him. His brother goes to church, I swear, just because all of his buddies do and his wife grew in dead smack pentecostal family. Fundies white bone. So she's a church goer by birth. I KNOW he is not a believer though. He just sorta does it, so to speak.
Friends, it much varies from a person to a person to a person. I guarantee, in so much referred to Thgailand, huge chunk of Buddhist monks became such because that was about the only way not to starve to death. There are MANY reasons, why people join a religion. Many I have seen done so for financial reasons - to be backed by a group.

Maybe it's not that wise to comb all heads with same comb

Thrill, to your OP. It's religion. A priory it does not require any proof or evidence. religion or faith that can be proven and evidenced is called SCIENCE. Ergo, no need for specific this or that. Just faith.

Old 12-30-2019, 07:47 PM

3,649 posts, read 1,605,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte

God wants us to be saved but He couldn't care less whether we ARE saved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
God DOES want us ALL to be saved, but it's US who couldn't care less if we are! God's not going to FORCE us to believe.

And also somehow the Bible and words of Jesus have lasted over 2000 years. A church in almost very city and town where freedom of faith is allowed. There's probably a church within miles of OP residence.

It's like someone wants to made sure we hear the word of the Bible to save us. Who might that be?

Old 12-30-2019, 08:00 PM

63,844 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeemoments View Post
I agree. In my opinion, for spiritual people--whichever path they follow--a big benefit of our practices is that it builds us up to handle whatever comes along. A great many spiritual people pray for strength in hard times. It is a time to get off the treadmill of worry, to allow spirit to wash over us, to be strengthened inside to handle a illness, to spend a few minutes not thinking about the nasty boss and fear of losing a job, or paying bills -- all the stuff of everyday life. We remember that that is not all who we are. We are more than that and life is about more than that. It can be a time of gratitude for what we have. We leave our practices feeling better, strengthened and connected.

I would also say that people tend to look for God on the outside. There is also looking within. That there is nothing outside of ourselves. We are of God or Goddess or Spirit what have you, not separate. When people ask for proof of God in general they mean outside ourselves. That is the error. They don't find it, cause they don't see it is within them. It looks like them. God looks like us.

Old 12-30-2019, 08:11 PM

3,649 posts, read 1,605,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post

Why does a person want to follow a savior for which there isn't a nickel's worth of secular evidence and who breaks his promise in 99% of the prayers offered to him??????

This is easy to answer. Most people pray for a miracle. And that means something beyond the laws of nature that God designed. Those laws of nature provide order in the universe or otherwise the universe would be a total chaotic mess and life wouldn't be possible.

People often pray for a new car or something to 'poof!', materialize or happen right in front of them. However, a prayer has to be in accordance with God. His design, purpose and principles.

God doesn't need your prayers. He already knows everything about you. So why pray to God or Jesus? So you can verbally talk out what's happening to your maker. In the same way a lost child 'talks' in their mind to their father even when he's not around. A child will think of his father and have something to talk or ask for, even when his father is not there. For example a child who is away from this father may WANTS to be WITH his father to share something that is happening or something he wants. He knows his father MIGHT answer his requests, if only he was present.

A prayer to Jesus is the same kind of thing. A child may wish for something his father can't provide, like a sports car. However, with his father's guidance that child can grow up, get a job, and later buy a sports car. It will take time. But that child's wish is possible, and in a way his father DID provide it! His father showed how to get that car.

A prayer request to God is like that.

Old 12-30-2019, 08:27 PM

50,867 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james112 View Post
And also somehow the Bible and words of Jesus have lasted over 2000 years. A church in almost very city and town where freedom of faith is allowed. There's probably a church within miles of OP residence.

It's like someone wants to made sure we hear the word of the Bible to save us. Who might that be?
There are a lot of things that have lasted that long. And not all good. War, prostitution, slavery.

Old 12-30-2019, 10:26 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,750,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james112 View Post

For a number of reasons, none of which are because it might be true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality